CHOICE/your wife/girlfriend/pets or your loudspeaker

Bronze Member
Username: Basicaudio

Chula vista, Ca US

Post Number: 29
what would you rather have, if you had a say so,
your choice of loudspeaker(you were given the money)
or your wife,girlfriend or pets?

for me is loudspeakers since i ain't married and my girlfriend is out of state pursuing a career and don't have any pets, I ATE THEM.
reason 1) wives are costly if they divorce you
which could have bought you a nice home, car and a
nice audiophile system and possibly even a girlfriend and a pet
2)girlfriends come and go, cheaper to keep a beloved LOUDSPEAKER, girlfriends are LOUDER than any of my loudspeakers when you get into a fight with them. audiophile loudspeakers you don't need as much TLC once you provided it. a girlfriend it's constant and more so on wives.
3)pets, if you own maggies/planars, electrostats or any fine system with real wood like b&w and vandersteens for example and many others, they become SCRATCHING post. Plus loudspeakers you can shut down, not like pets, constant hisses, distortions and screeching (sounds like some girlfriends and wives)what they all have in common is they all nag! especially when the price TAG is too high in their eyes.

so in my humble opinion, i have given you the right reasons to keep your beloved loudspeakers over your girlfriends.
Because in the eyes of some women, the almighty dollar or a diamond ring is far less expendable than YOU are! for all pets, they could care less about your feelings as long as you feed them.
not like loudspeakers, you feed them with good clean amplifier current, they will SING for you with medicinal sound.

case is close, speakers come first!
(you guys know i'm kidding right or am I?)
what is your OPINION, be as creative as you like and as HEARTFELT. feel free to be comical!

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 1978
comical?

Silver Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 490
Jim

Eventually you'll discover that there are certain things that take place in a loving, lasting relationship that no speaker, nor any other material object can ever substitute.

Silver Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 849
If I were stranded on a tropical island (oh please, oh please, oh please) would I rather have the companionship of a loving woman or a pair of speakers? Hmmmmmm....

I think I'll go with the woman.

Then again, if they were Klipsch Cornerhorns I could turn them into a boat.

Silver Member
Username: Davidpa

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 174
hate to say it, but my setup goes before the wife (I hope) As much as I love music, (and btw, my wife hates what I like) theres just too many qualities, and good times that speakers, no matter how good, could ever match.
Thats where the luck comes in. My wife understands my passion for music, accepts it as part of me, cringes when I spend, but never complains about it, as a matter of fact, she jokes when I say "thats it, Im finally done" knowing, sooner or later, Ill "need" one more of these, or "its just not quite right" etc. etc. etc. When we first got together, she thought my apt. looked like radio shack! Guess when you make a girl laugh, she'll accept most anything!

Silver Member
Username: Davidpa

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 175
Now our basement looks like the radio shack! But its MY space! And she actually enjoys the theater room.

Bronze Member

Chula vista, Ca US

Post Number: 32
of course I was just kidding (-: the purpose of the post is just to be funny. Most wives and girlfriends are understanding, I don't know about pets though? FYI, i came up with this post based on an audiogon comment started by one of the audiophiles joking around and from another commentator at audioreview awhile back ago.
if my girlfriend found out about my answer(which was just a joke)I would end up being the LOUDSPEAKER, tied up on a gold post using cardass wires, but then again she might just use a cheap radio shack speaker wire to keep me tied up and shut! (-:
thanks for the answers! i'm sorry if I touched any nerves. Most of you guys according to your posts have most everything, an understanding other half and your listening room! I expected you guys will have some good answers!

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 7329
I got lucky. My wife loves music and HT. She was the one who bought our SF Cremonas. She loves spending time in the listening room.

Bronze Member

Chula vista, Ca US

Post Number: 33
nice cabinetry and components from what i have seen on those sf cremonas...not fortunate enough to be able listen and own one (-: lucky you!

Silver Member
Username: Bvan

Cape Town, Copenhagen,...

Post Number: 103
i also got lucky.

i'd definitely get rid of my speakers, cause my girlfriend would promply send me down to the store to buy replacements if she came home to empty speaker stands.

years back i sent her to the store to pick up some new b&w 601's i'd decided on getting. she phones me up from the store asking 'please cant we get the 602's instead, i had a listen and they got much better bass?" O.K honey!

nowdays she's demanding i replace our subwoofer which i sold in order to finance an upgrade of our mains speakers.

and then she's insisting we upgrade to a 42" flat screen.

if i sound like i'm complaining then i'm giving the wrong impression entirely :-)

unfortunately we dont have any money for all this. but i like the spirit!

b.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1988
My speakers do not soil on the carpet.

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 917
"Then again, if they were Klipsch Cornerhorns I could turn them into a boat"

There are quite a few speakers I would like to turn into a boat even if I wasn't stranded on an island. They would serve much better purpose.

I like change, so I will keep my wife. Even the best of music gets stale after listening to it for too long.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1074
My wife and I have this unspoken understanding...

When it comes to designer pocketbooks and shoes, I don't ask. How much, how many do you need, etc. As long as she's happy and the bills are getting paid, more power to her.

When it comes to stereo equipment and music, she doesn't ask. As long as I'm happy and the bills are being paid, more power to me.

It's all about giving one another the space and flexibility to be happy.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1991
That was in reference to the pets, BTW.

Silver Member
Username: Twebbz

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 383
Ya know, partners get in the way of ALL personal enjoyment. I can't use my main setup much because it is in the main part of the house so I created other home zones (3 in all) where I can get away and enjoy my music. It is kind of fun to have three different set-ups...Hehehe!!

Silver Member
Username: Twebbz

Oakland Park, Florida USA

Post Number: 384
Oh, The cats go FRICKIN' CRAZY when I crank the stereo...So it's not just the partner.

Silver Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 886
I'll keep the wife, but only because, like many of you, she just nods her head, smiles and watches me buy something that she really cannot understand why I need it. Then, when I ask her if she can hear the difference, she nods again, smiles again and walks way with that look that says "he is absolutely crazy, it doesn't sound any different and there goes another $1000." LOL

I just bought new ICs. OK, yeah, I'm the guy that says that ICs and upgraded speaker wire are the "snake oil" of today. Well, I'm here to tell you that I'm still not sold on the whole speaker cable concept but WOOOOOOOOW!!!!, the new ICs have made an incredible difference in the height and width of the soundstage and the clarity/distinctness of the sound.

Almost wants to make me revisit the "Do You Listen" thread and take a new look at some of my earlier, possibly ill-advised comments. I'm now finding some of those lost memories and they're actually sounding better than what I've lost. So, are those "new found memories" or is that a newfoundland puppy? If it's the latter, I'll take my pets over loudspeakers, I guess.

Bronze Member

Chula vista, Ca US

Post Number: 37
I guess for pets, some loudspeakers were designed for scratching posts, and some for boats like them old beveridge speakers. All you need is a paddle or possibly a motor, might as well, some of the drivers look like a motor like the EMINENT TECHNOLOGY SUBWOOFER which looks like a rotor or fan. Can anyone lift a thousand pound speaker without the use of a forklift? Genesis and german physiks are good example. Even the new mckintosh flagship is the size of a boat and so are von schweikerts and wilsons!
I think the designers was in a cruiseline when they designed such exotic speakers. Maybe they were made to chase your pets or pests away. At the price, it's for realtors to sell!

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 910
well thats a tough choice :-) because my gf likes my speakers just as much as I do. She told me that when we get our own place, I had better make room for some MartinLogans.

Not going to argue that.

Bronze Member
Username: Nmytree

Post Number: 52
Speakers stay.

Wife must go!

:D
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us