Paradigm/Monitor Audio

Bronze Member
Username: Patrickbateman

MA

Post Number: 18
I am looking at the Paradigm Studio 20's and MA GR10's. The GR10's can be had for about the same price since the new Gold series came out. I have heard both in different locations and really like them both. Any thoughts on the two?
Will be used for about 75% music, 25% movies
run by a Marantz receiver

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2945
In hate to say what you already know but I will anyway. Go with your ears. I'm sure you know which one you are leaning towards. Don't let us decide for you or change your mind. That said...my vote goes to the Studio 20v3 (only because I own it and love it). Good luck.

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 870
I agree with art. I avoided answering this just because MY preference is the studio 20, but that doesn't mean it will be yours.

listen with your ears, not with your eyes reading the posts. We can reccomend components, but only you know if you really like them.

Bronze Member

MA

Post Number: 19
Well like I said, I heard them both and really enjoyed them
I think either one is a great pick for me
but the longer I wait, the more speakers I discover

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 749
Patrick:

Just my opinion, but with Marantz power, which is somewhat laid back and warm, I would much prefer the sound of the Monitor Audio GR10s, which as a more forward sounding speaker than the Paradigms. Given the laid back warmth of the Paradigms, I fear with Marantz power you may be getting too much of one thing. The MAs would make for a better balanced system, but of course, you would have to confirm this by driving both the Paradigms and the MAs with your Marantz.

Bronze Member

MA

Post Number: 20
I was planning to upgrade my receiver soon as well

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2958
The Studio 20v3's s are quite neutral. They may lean ever so slightly to the laid back side but warm they are not. Just my opinion. The Studio 20's reflect the equipment they are paired with very well. Every amplifier upgrade you make with them will reward you as the 20's will continue to sing a more lovely song. Good luck on your choice.

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 908
Outlaw will go well with the paradigms, as well as Rotel.

I have personal experience of pairing rotel with paradigm, and believe me... even though the speakers are only the atoms, they are good enough to know good juice. They love the rotel, and bring out its stregnths.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2964
Gavin, next time you send a PM please go email to email (I didn't know if you were going to look at the HT section soon so that's why I am posting this here). If you send a message through the ecoustics system it takes me 3 or 4 steps to reply. Which ofcourse I want to reply to all messages. Well lunch is over, back to work.

Username: Ladyct

Post Number: 1
Have Yamaha RX V1500 receiver
Enjoy uncolored, natural sounding speakers for listening to classical, jazz music. Attend live concerts and want to duplicate natural sound. What would you suggest? Which would work better with receiver...Paradigm, B&W, others? No clue.

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 761
Ron:

Without question, with a Yamaha receiver, I would recommend Paradigm speakers. Yamaha is a somewhat bright sounding receiver (that is, there is a perceptible rise in the frequency response in the upper midrange). Consequently, a warmer sounding speaker, such as the Paradigm, is IMO the best way to balance the sound out and get a great sounding system. What is your budget?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2969
Ron, it depends on which speakers in each line. Paradigm for example produce speakers like the Studio 20v3 which is an easy load to drive (simple crossover, relatively stable impedence) and they also have speakers that provide more tricky loads such as the Studio 40v3 or even the Atom. In general Paradigm is known as a speaker that experiences greater than average impedence swings making them trickier than some speakers to drive. What that means for you is that you need a good power supply to drive them. Yamaha receivers are notorious for having weak power supplies (I own one, now used only as a tuner, and concur). Unless you intend to add an external power amp or buy one of their easier speakers to drive (Studio 20v3 or the Mini Monitor v4) Paradigm is probably not the best choice. Good luck.

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 889
In my upstairs system I have 2 pair of Monitor Audio GR10's, the MA GR center channel, the HSU VTF 3 MK II subwoofer and all connected to a Pioneer Elite 59TXVi.

Once the speakers are balanced they offer an excellent system for both music and movies. I would say that these MA's are a bit more lively and brighter than the Paradigm's. You probably couldn't go wrong with either speaker set-up.

Another excellent system would be using the Onix Rocket RS 760 tower up front ($1499) with the Onix Rocket RS250 MKII as surrounds ($599) and the Onix Rocket RSC200 ($599) for the center, They offer a package deal on these at $2,398.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us