Yamaha vs. NAD, Outlaw, Pioneer, Marantz HELP!

Username: Uback007

Post Number: 3
I just bought some Paradigm Titans V.4 and they are stand mounted..I am currently powering them with a 1981 Yamaha A-760 amp - along with a 1989 Sony CDP-C315 5-disc changer. I heard the Paradigms through a lot better of a system when I bought them ($199)- so I know this on-the-floor amp and cd player sound pretty horrible.. The room is 12.5' x 22 with hardwood floors and windows galore..the system is in the center of 22' wall facing out the length of 12.5 space I mentioned. Yes, this is a very "live room"
Anyway, I have been poring over literature, websites, reviews, audiogon, local stores, etc in an effort to get a receiver...I have looked at Yamaha RX-V659, Outlaw, NAD, Marantz, Pioneer Elite 52X, etc... I have not really decided whether or not to get a AV receiver or 2 channel...Do I get used separates? Do I stick with 2 channel and add a sub to the Titans, etc..so many questions.
Bottom-line: I want the best bang for the buck sound I can afford. Receiver budget is $400-$650..
I have read great things about the Yamaha, NAD, Outlaw...(I know the Outlaw 2150 is a 2 channel system)and Pioneer Elite..Do I go ahead and get the great sounding (I have not heard this unit, only read favorable reviews) Yamaha do-everything AV receiver to satisfy the potential regret I may feel if I would decide on a 2-channel receiver? This decision making process is tedious (but I must admit fun!) I really want great sound! AV is secondary...that Yamaha YPAO thingy is intriguing though. And the Ipod connectivity is cool with the new Yamaha RX-V659/HTR-5960. Maybe it can make some cool adjustments for this room that I have the system in...
I like the look of silver components..the aforementioned A-760 is silver and looks great in the room...However, you have to get the Yamaha HTR-5960 to get silver finish...so many questions, thoughts! HELP!!!
Okay, I'm done babling now.
head is spinning!

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2940
If A/V is truly secondary I would look very hard at the Outlaw 2 channel receiver. I have recently backed away from multi channel for higher quality 2 channel and do not regret it. Titans are a very nice little bookshelf and represents a very goo value. The Paradigm Performance series speakers require quality amplification to sound their best. It's a speaker line that sounds far better than it's price tag would suggest with good current flowing to them. Good luck.

Post Number: 4
thanks Art - I listened to the Titans at the store being powered by an expensive McIntosh set-up and was completly blown away - We even A/B'd them to the more expensive Paradigm Studio Mini-Monitors and I seriously could not justify spending an extra $229 for the mini's. I have been looking at the Outlaw 2150 after reading the review in Stereophile and the favorable reviews here on this site. So, do you think that the Yamaha (which I can get for about $400) is sub-par to the Outlaw? I have read nothing but stunning reviews about the sound that the Yamaha produces. The Oulaw is 200 dollars more and if I got the Yamaha I could put the extra money towards the HSU sub everyone recommends...
But if the Outlaw sounds as good as what everyone says, maybe I'll go that direction...
What type of cd/dvd universal player would you mate with the Outlaw?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2942
"So, do you think that the Yamaha (which I can get for about $400) is sub-par to the Outlaw? I have read nothing but stunning reviews about the sound that the Yamaha produces."

The short answer is yes.

I own the RX-V657 and it has some fun features but the power can't compare to the Outlaw and neither can the sound. I use my Yammie as an AM/FM/XM tuner only.

BTW the Hsu subs are great for HT as I used to own one but they aren't the most musical. Overall they do represent a very good value and I would recommend them and Outlaw (subs).

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2943
Oh yeah, DVD/CD. If you want pretty good performance in one box I would suggest the Cambridge Audio Azur 540D. Otherwise I would buy seperate CD/DVD players.

Post Number: 6
if you just wanted a cd player what would you choose?

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1957
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/207560.html
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us