Nad or cambridge audio?

Username: Siemma

Post Number: 1
I am looking to upgrade from a reciever to a integrated amp and have a limited budget. I am considering the NAD c320bee or the cambridge audio azur 540av2. I listen to mostly heavy live music like Allman Brothers, Grateful Dead, etc. What would be the better purchase?

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 739
Steve:

In my mind, the NAD without question. While Cambridge makes some very fine products, the Azure 540 is not up to the same quality as its bigger brother, the 640. Conversely, the 320bee is a bit of a legend, providing much higher quality sound than its price would lead you to believe. Has a richer, fuller sound and a much better low end punch for groups like the Allman Bros, etc., that many people would find lacking in the 540. Brit gear tends to sound a bit light on the low end for most Americans' ears, better suited to classical and folk type music than to rock.

BTW, what speakers do you have? That can make a difference.

Silver Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 873
Steve,

I just went through exactly this exercise in order to help a friend put together a 2 channel system. We opted for the c320Bee and I got her a Cambridge Audio 540C off Audio Advisor for $200 and put it together with a couple of Tim's Emmas for a dynamite 2 channel system for under $1100. So, once again, "what Hawk said." Good luck, Dave.

Username: Ravbains

MelbourneAustralia

Post Number: 10
Hi Steve,

I don't have extensive knowledge of current NAD products, with the exception of the C162/C272 combo (which is great IMHO, and the C162 has a great phono stage).

But I must say that I am biased towards NAD. My very first hifi system, bought when I was at the young age of just 16 was a NAD. It was a great system, great value and sound, and allowed me to appreciate a lot of great music. (The system was a NAD 3020 amp, NAD 5120 turntable, and Boston A40 speakers. In particular the 3020, and the A40s IMHO are real classics.)

You need to find a good dealer, take a buch of you favorite CD's and go listen for yourself.

If such a dealer does not exist in your local, here are my thoughts.

I have listened to a Cambridge Audio 640A (not the V2 model), at a friends place. He has B&W 705 speakers, and we used my JVC XLZ-1050TN as a source. I found the Cambridge sound to be lean and taut. I did notice some transistory type harshness in the mid-band, which did not please me. But I suspect that my friends B&W 705s, which cost $3200 AUD were revealing the amps bad points, since the system was not well balanced. But overall sound was nice lean taut and fresh, almost Rotel like I would say.

For me the "NAD sound" is very pleasant, there is a pleasing warmth and body of tone, which for me is always welcome, especially in a modestly priced system.

Personally I don't see how you can go too far wrong. All of the usual contenders should give you better sound than a HT receiver (unless of course it is a very high end receiver...).

I have a personal preference/bias for the 320Bee, just based on my nostalgia for the good old 3020A.

But also give the the CA amps a go, and for me the Rotel RA-01 is a real bargain. Basically the RA-01 is a RA-02 without remote control, but it is much cheaper than the RA-02.

Hope this helps
cheers
Rav

Bronze Member

MelbourneAustralia

Post Number: 11
Hi Steve,

just to follow on.

Sorry I tend to ramble on a bit, and get nostalgic.

But in summary, "Yeah, what Hawk said" !

cheers

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1922
Ravinder, your nostalgia brings tears to my eyes.
I could almost feel the affection you still carry for those pieces. Sniff.

Nice postings Ravinder, thanks.

Username: Audioc

What about the NAD C352 vs. the CA 640a v2? Any thoughts about this comparison?

Silver Member

Post Number: 877
I.,

I'd still lean towards the C352, too. Good luck, Dave

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 880
don't discount the Rotel intergrateds either! They have a smooth midband, with clean treble. The bass is propulsive like the NAD, but IMHO is a little cleaner.

To each his own, because they do have a different sound than the NAD, but be sure to check them out if you like NAD.

Silver Member

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 750
"I":

Again, while I believe there is a clear choice between the C320bee and the Azure 540A, it gets closer when discussing the C350 with the Azur 640A. Now, I would have to ask what speakers would you be using? There is no bad choice between the C350 and the Azur 640A, but they have very different sounds, so the choice of speakers will make the choice in most cases, and the type of music would also figure into the equation.

The Azure has a softer, more laid back sound, most suitable to classical or jazz. Paired with Paradigm speakers (a very warm laid back sounding speaker), for instance, would not be a choice I would make. Too much laid back warmth can make for a dull, uninvolving system. Conversely, paired with JMLabs Cobalts (a somewhat bright, forward sounding speaker), the Azur would shine, IMO. The NAD is much more poweful sounding, yet with very good detail. It is warm, but not as warm as the Azur. However, it has a more forward sound that would work well with Paradigm speakers, but is less successful with Cobalts, IMO. Obviously, every speaker has some sort of timbral emphasis, so they matter when asking what amp.

So, I would ask, what speakers?

Username: Musashi

Post Number: 2
I have a pair of DALI 606 series speaker. They are easy to drive but the bass drivers are really hard to move. I therefore have too bright sound with noticable lack of body (the bass sound really lacks IMHO) with my SONY STR DB 930 HT receiver. Do you think Azur 640A will be a good choice or you prefer NAD 352 or Marantz 7200.
Thanks
Mus

Bronze Member

MelbourneAustralia

Post Number: 18
Hi Ahmet,

of course, go find a dealer and listen for yourself, but my guess is that the NAD 352, will be the one with the muscle to get your speakers rockin'

-cheers
Rav

Username: Audioc

I'm thinking of the NAD C352 with either:
B & W CM1
B & W 602 S3 OR
Von Schweikert VR1
Any thoughts with any of these combos?
Thanks for your help!

Username: Bbb34

NAD C352 is good choice, make sure you replace pre-amp to amp jumper with decent interconnect and you'll be impressed.

It matches really well with B&W 600 series in my opinion.

Silver Member

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 766
Ahmet:

Yes, I think the NAD 352 is what is necessary to provide the power for your speakers--more power is always better. Also, the DALI has a 4 ohm impedence load, so I would opt for the NAD just because the NAD is better designed to handle such a low impedence load.

"I":

I have heard the B&Ws, and I personally like the CM1s better than the 602s, but only in smaller rooms or if you prize the better detail. The CM1s are really inefficient (84db) compared to the 602s (90db), so the choice of the 352 is an excellent one to drive the speakers. Neverhteless, it is your system. Get the one you prefer. Either will sound very nice with the NAD amp. I am sorry I have not heard the von Schweikerts, so I cannot opine about them. I have heard wonderful thinks about von Schweikerts, but I have not found a dealer to hear them. From what I have heard about them, however, I don't think you will disappointed.

I also agree with "34" that you should get some good interconnects to replace the jumpers supplied with the amp, but you don't have to do it right away. Get used to the system first, then change the jumper--you might be surprised at the improvement.

Username: Nsomnia

Post Number: 5
hello all,
I have a very similar situation here where trying to make decision to go with either NAD352 or CA640.
but the speaker Im currently interested is B&W 603, I like a deep low freq bass (not even sure the 603 has enough)
any input would be greatly appreciated.

Can't comment on CA640 since I didn't audition it, their 640 V2 CDP wasn't exactly my cup of tea.

In my opinion 603s and c352 are very good match, I preferred it to Rotel integrated amps. which most of the people think is great match with B&W.

Username: Musashi

Post Number: 3
CA-640 is a good amplifier but it sounded a little mechanical when I auditoned it last weekend with Focal JMLabs Chorus speakers. The Oscar Benson double-bass solos sounded a bit like chainsaw. I am assuming that given the sharp characteristics of BW604, NAD or even Marantz 7001 should sound better. CA640's have the reputaiton of delivering good performance in low volume levels though. May be something worth considering for.

I preferred the Marantz PM 7001 + BW 604 assembly as the high tones were crisp clear and NAD sounded a bit more bass heavy and high tones a bit back.

If you like punch sound, NAD is the way to go, but if you prefer well deailed crisp tones try PM7001 pls.

My preference order is PM7001, CA640, c352 with a BW.

Cheers

Post Number: 3
This is exactly how I would describe CA CDP, a bit too "clinical".

C352 is pretty good at low volumes, at least to my ears.

Besides the above mentioned Marantz, perhaps you should give Rotel a chance as well, lot's of people swear by B&W and Rotel match.

Username: Smiley777

Post Number: 9
do you guys know where i can get an Rotel amps online?

Username: Nsomnia

Post Number: 6
Thanks to all who replied,

the problem is there is no way I can try 603 pair with any kind of amps like NAD352/CA640/MARANTZ/ROTEL. HiFi shop in here, auckland are SUCKS. shop that has B&W speakers, only have amps like Denon, Pioneer, Sony and Harman Kardon.
then, shop that has those amps NAD352/CA640/MARANTZ/ROTEL, doesnt have any B&W speakers.
I supposed to trust my own ear, but i couldnt.
so I'm trying to gather thought of you all, the expert to give some advice.
i dont really like the punchy bass, but i love the deep ones.
which of those amps that would have low freq deep bass yet produce smooth great sound quality.
though I wouldnt play my music too loud.
thinking heavily on Cambride audio at the moment. and it still all based on review and forums.

thanks all..

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Most of audio shops have demo models, have you asked them about taking one of the amps. home for demo for a day or two ?

If particular store is closed on Sunday, go there Saturday afternoon late, swipe your credit card to the amount of MRSP and take it home with promise to bring it back on Monday morning, store doesn't loose potential "demo" time, and you can't walk away with the stuff or damage it, as they have your money already, if you ask me, this is the only way to go when making decision as matching your components will make or break your system.

If the store happens to carry two brands that you're interested in, even better, take them both home, and they will also know you're serious and chances are good you will get one of them. In my experience most stores don't have an issue with this practice, loaning out components for several days even, depending of what they have on the floor of course.

Forgive me if I'm telling you something obvious here

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 2474
If you thought the CA was a bit 'clinical',bbb, you needent try out the Rotel.
Particularly a cdp.

They can be 'accurate'.

The Nad, on the other hand is a well known quantity, with lots of power.
Nad and Rotel are almost flip-sides. The Boogie is there, how hot do you want it?

Bronze Member
Username: Emdawg12345

Post Number: 44
http://www.rotteneggs.com/?refid=182315 damn this answeres it

Silver Member

Post Number: 943
TK,

It's time to go back to school, your mommy is calling.

Username: Friendly_jellyfish

Hey. On a similar nad/B&W note I'm looking at the purchase of a nad C320BEE amp and C521BEE CD deck. I'd like to use this with either a set of B&W DM600 or DM303. I prefer warmer, more open sound, and definition/separation of different riffs and sounds is very imporatant.
any thoughts? thanks
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us