Hawk I need your advise

Unregistered guest
Hi, Hawk. I want to add on a amp too my Marantz sr19ex reciever. I'm running Psb image 6T"s and 3Lr rear surround, with a JM lab 800cc. I also am running 2 image 6i subs.My base budget is $1500 to spend. Of all the amps out there what would you recomend for a 5 channel amp.Parasound,B&K,ATI,ROTEL,SHERBOURN? I value your knowlege of stereo equipment. Thanks JT

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 541
JT:

Thank you for the kind comments--I really hope I can help.

You have only specified brands, but not models, so I am going to infer which models you are looking at based upon your budget. At that price level (~$1K-$1500), there are no bad products. All are high quality products that are worthy of the price asked, but as you already have your speakers, it really comes down to the best match for your speakers, primarily the PSB 6Ts, which are your mains. Now, the 6Ts are a wonderful speaker, but it can be a bit reserved, that is, laid back sounding, so what is needed is an amp that has some bite to it. On the other hand, you have a JMlabs Cobalt center speaker, which is just about the polar opposite of the 6Ts, so I would be careful of any amp with too much bite or the center channel could drive you nuts. The surrounds do not carry enough information to really matter in choosing the amp--just the front three.

I really like the B & K amps, but they are simply too laid back for your 6Ts. As I mentioned, the 6Ts are laid back sounding already, so exaggerating that charecteristic would not give you the excitement that such a nice system is capable of. The Parasound HCA-1205A would be a very good choice for the 6Ts, but I worry about it with the Cobalt center. Many people find the Parasound too aggressive sounding, which would give you the requisite "bite" to mate well with your 6Ts, but it may well have too much for your Cobalt center. I particularly like the ATI 1805 for your speaker combination, which is also available in your price range. The ATI is not quite as agressive as the Parasound, but it is a forward sounding amp that will work well with the 6Ts. I think it is also smooth enough for the Cobalt center. The Rotel is a very nice amp, very smooth and a bit cool (not a problem with the 6Ts), but I don't like it as much as the ATI for your system--I think it is just a little shy on the low end compared to the Parasound or ATI amps.

I must admit I have not heard the Sherbourn enough to give a good opinion, so I will have to take a pass on that one, but what I have heard, I like very much. Definitely one to consider, but you will have to listen for yourself.

Well, these are a few random thoughts on your problem--I hope it is of some help.

Good luck!

JTKITA
Unregistered guest
Thank you Hawk for the great advice. I will look into the ATI or possibly parasound. JT

Unregistered guest
Hawk, I see your in Colorado. You really should make the trip down to Colo. Springs to the Green Mountain factory and chit-chat with Roy. He's a joy to talk to and his speakers are to die for. Give him a call at (719) 636-2500
Let me know how you liked the speakers. Tell him Dale from Maui referred you.

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 550
Dale:

Will do! I am a bit busy right now, but I will make a point of it before long. I am rather anxious to hear these speakers as you have been so effusive in their praise.

Cheers!

Unregistered guest
Hawk, I spent 10 years selling hi-end audio, and these are simply the finest sounding speakers I have heard anywhere close to the price. Instruments and voices sound so real you'll swear the sound is live. I know the designer (Roy Johnson) well and sold audio with him for a few years. He's one of the brightest designers in the market today. As you know Colorado Springs is a great region for hi-end audio. Jeff also has his shop there (Rowland Research) manufacturing some of the finest amp's on the planet. Roy said your moniker sounded familiar, perhaps just from posting here. You do a great job advising people on audio selection here. Keep up the good work.
Aloha
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us