Proper disposal of old speakers

Username: Mark_lewis

Post Number: 1
I have two pairs of Transaudio 1012R speakers that I'd like to dispose of. The foams on the woofers have decayed and I think it's probably not worth the investment to have them refoamed (probably around $50 per woofer.) Any thoughts on this? Also, I don't think these should just be sent to the landfill. I was thinking of taking them to a waste disposal facility that deals with old TVs, microwaves, and computers. Good idea?

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8025

Sure, though you could revive the Transaudio's (can't believe there are any left in the free world) by installing a new woofer for far less money than you have guessed at. Parts Express or Madisound can suggest a replacement woofer that would fit that enclosure. Transaudio was Pacific Stereo's low end house brand, but they would be fine for a pair of remote speakers somewhere in the house.

Bronze Member
Username: Mnr3

Post Number: 29
or you could refoam them yourself for about $20 for the pair and a good half hour or so of your time. the refoam kits are also available at partsexpress

barring that, I've recycled a woofer by turning it into a metal parts bowl--I work on old bicycles and the little bearings always roll away. I dropped a metal bowl into the area of the woofer where the cone was, and the mega-magnet keeps bearings, bolts, etc. in place until I'm ready to use them (can magnetize some things though, so be careful if that would cause a problem)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us