Multi-room speaker wiring questions

Username: Rustyshacklefor

Post Number: 1
We are building a home and I would like to do some in-wall speaker wiring. I've done the basics before, now I just want to step up to having a "B" set of speakers to control for outside. So here are my questions:

1) Can I have my "B" set of speakers be 2 speakers outside on the back porch and a set of 2 speakers in the garage? Can wires for both sets of speaker wires go off the same wall panels (L & R) behind the receiver to different wall panels outside and in garage?

2) To control these "B" sets of speakers outside and in the garage I'd like to put in separate volume controls, but I'm not sure what exactly to get. I've seen lots of the dimmer (round knob) types, but am not sure of the tech specs I would need (and these go between the receiver and the speakers somewhere along the speaker wiring route?)

2b) Can I use on of the regular volume/dimmer controls outside the house? (Under covered porch, but here near Toronto, so we get snow and below freezing to humid and in the 90's each year...

3) Is there a good/better/best type of plug to use for the speakers? I just used regular wire-pinch style clips in the wall of my last place; are banana plugs or other style plugs better for attaching the speaker wire to the plates on the walls? (Especially for the outside speakers -- they will be under the roof of a covered porch.)

Thanks for the help

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8015

You don't tell us about your amplifier, how you intend to use the speakers (how many on at one time) or how the other speakers in your system are wired. This would be important to know so we don't have to go through some very basic information to tell you the correct answers to your questions.

1) Most amplifiers can drive any number of speakers as long as the total impedance load of the sets playing doesn't drop beneath six to eight Ohms. You can either arrange your listening habits, speaker purchases and wiring schematics to suit those needs or you can buy a speaker switching and volume control system which ensures that those levels are always met. In other words, you can only play so many speakers at one time without damage to your amplifier. How you arrange this is up to you. Without knowing lots more information the only answer that I can give would be "probably".

2) What type of volume control you buy will be determined by the solution to the first question. How you decide to distribute the speaker system through the house is going to determine what type of volume control you should buy.

2b) If "regular dimmer" means a lighting fixture dimmer, the answer is no. Volume controls for audio require some consideration for what voltage you will be driving through the vc. Treat the cover and housing for the vc as you would any exterior electrical receptacle or place it on a nearby interior wall.

3) Banana plugs are meant for temporary connections and are not long term solutions. They represent convenience but not good sound. A connection should be either a "gas tight" bare wire or soldered connection.

I would suggest you stop by a competent audio shop and let them ask the pertinent questions so you will purchase the correct pieces for your application.

Post Number: 2
Sorry...new to this whole audio wiring set-up stuff.
I have a Yamaha HTR-570 that will be set up in my main living area with my set of Paradigm 5.1 home theatre set up. The "B" set I was talking about would be a pair of (yet to be purchased) outdoor speakers and a pair of speaker in the garage.
Thanks for the info about the banana plugs - I have a friend who swore that was the best way to affix speakers to a wall plate. Guess the permanent connection makes much more sense for outside for sure.
I did realize not to use a lighting fixture dimmer - I just meant there seem to be a variety of volume controls at different ratings and I guess I'm not sure who to determine which one I would need (or how to figure that out).

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8019

I would suggest you stop by a competent audio shop and let them ask the pertinent questions so you will purchase the correct pieces for your application.

Post Number: 3
Thanks for being such a dick about it.
Guess my questions are too simple/low-brow for you to address? Luckily there are other helpful forums out there (and I've got some really helpful info :-)

Glad to see you can work the cut & paste functions so well...keep up the good work.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8023

I'm glad you found help elsewhere. When someone doesn't know enough to know how to ask the correct questions, it is difficult to give the correct advice. Therefore, the copy and paste. Good luck, you can get a lot of bad advice on forums.

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 839
most of us in here would have responded with the phrase "go to a dealer" or along those lines.

that isn't being a dick, its called common sense.

glad you found another forum.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us