Right speaker for an old receiver

pewterman
Unregistered guest
Here's my dilema: I do not use my system very often but I would like to hear some quality sound out of it when I do. I'm resisting an upgrade to my "old" receiver, a Sony STR-D315 which I know is not terrific. I've been trying to find some new speakers that will be compatible with my existing system and would like to stick to bookshelves for the size factor.

So far,I've tried: Axiom M3ti's but found them a little too laid back. Next, I went to Athena AS-B2's, which were better in the areas of bass and upper ranges but seemed to sound a bit on the bright side. I then tried a pair of Polk Audio RTi6's. These were a bit clearer and purer in the vocals, but, and I don't know how to say this any differently, the sound seems to be more within the speaker than up front. Last night, I picked up a pair of Paradigm Mini Monitor v.3's-not at all good with my electronics.

It is very difficult to audition any speaker in any level of studio or store because even an inexpensive new amp is going to sound better than my 5 year old Sony. But here I am. And I would like to find something other than a black finish in a pair of speakers for $400 or less.

Any input or suggestions that anyone out there would care to give will be SO greatly appreciated!

swampcat
Unregistered guest
My amps are 19 years old and would put them against anything out there. Stereo improvement hasn't made any great strides lately other than advertising. I think alot of old receivers are better than new one's. If anything i've seen alot of power advertised for the sacrifice of sound lately. The older stereo days they strived for the best sound. not outragous power ratings. Look at Harmon Kardons history! They forgot what their name stood for.

kong
Unregistered guest
take a look at cerwin vegas

swampcat
Unregistered guest
Cerwin vega's are really good speakers for the money. Need very little power too. Very sensitive speakers. The most under rated speaker out there. The speaker surounds rot in 12-15 years. But rather inexspensive to have fixed. @$65 a woofer. Not only do they sound pretty good you'll never over power them. Can be a little boomy but you can place speakers in different places in room . They work with the walls and corners and diferent distances from them can change the frequency response.

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 413
Cerwin Vega's are not in any way considered good speakers by any serious audiophile. Do not waste your time on these boomy, inaccurate junkers that are made specifically for headbangers and the teen market. Just awful.

Maxxy54
Unregistered guest
pewterman -

Try the EPOS ELS-3's. I almost bought these but went for the 12.2's for my listening room. The 3's are well within your budget. And they have a beautiful sound and are highly-rated and compared to more expensive speakers. They come in a light cherry version.

Unregistered guest
I'd consider some older JBL's. Either some of their monitors (4311, 4312,4312A) or some home editions - the L100, L112, and some others. Very well thought of, and go for about $400 used.

Alot of people swear by them.

Also, Pioneer HPM's and Vintage Sansui's. I would guess all of these are superior to Cerwins, especially the more recent ones - which I have and like, but there are much better.

Old receiver? Get some old speakers.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us