Up grade help needed

Anonymous

i have the a bose 901 series 5 and a boston center which i got maybe 6 years back. these speakers are powed by a kenwood receiver modle number kr-v8030 which also goes back maybe 10 years. the amp has no dts or digital. What should be done if i what to upgrade this system to a 5.1. i was thinking to get a pair of bose speaker as rears and get a dvd with a dts decoder. the system sounds ok so far. so what should i do to upgrade this system. or should i sell it and buy a new one. speacial thanks to anyone who can help me out. so let those comments come through.

Silver Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 527
First, I would sell the speakers, you can get better ones even just by using the money selling the 901s. Let's see a budget and what you want to happen to your home theater. Audition some other speakers and you'll be surprised at what you will hear.

Anonymous

i would like a setup similar to the movies. where everything is balanced. i also like the bass of the movie theater. my buget would be not more than 2000 dollars maybe a little more. thankyou

Bronze Member
Username: Cheapskate

Post Number: 36
if you want balanced sound, DEFINATELY get rid of your speakers then. speaker matching is VERY important for surround sound. otherwise, sounds will change tone as they pan around.

there are alot of really great sounding $200 or so per pair minimonitors that would be great for a budget system. i bought my 2nd pair of NHT superzeros for about $160 i think, but the original pair's $250 price tag wasn't at all unreasonable.

read some reviews and find a nice 4 or 5 piece setup. i have a center channel NHT, but i never use it as my current tv stand situation keeps me from time aligning my left and right with my center.

for $2000, you could get a killer system. if you're going that high, for around $1600, an NAD reciever and 4 magnepan MMGs ($550 pr.) without a center channel would give you awesome sound. maggies make great surround speakers because they are true dipoles. if you listen to them on edge, they are harder to localize which is what you want with surrounds.

i like my current system alot, but i lust after magnepans after heearing how fast and totally undistorted they are. they are especially great for vocals which is a huge plus for home theater.

for your budget, you could buy 2 pairs and one of NAD's higher power recievers. NAD is recommended because MOST under $1000 recievers can't do maggies 4 ohms without frying.

i've NEVER liked anything i've ever heard by bose, but love magnepan's total ability to sound like there's no speaker at all.

look into maggies. you'll see that ALOT of people here agree that they are probably THE best value in speakers anywhere. i envy your budget. LOL

by the way, maggies aren't the best known wall shakers in the gbass department, especially their smallest (mail order only) MMGs, but what they do achieve in the bass is lightning fast transients that NO subwoofer can achieve. a sub goes *BUHLOP*, maggies go *pop*. if you need a gut massage, get the cheapest NAD and use the savings for a sub, but try the maggies without one first.

if i ever do buy maggies, i'll probably disconnect my 12" sub.

Silver Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 542
for that budget I would recommend this set-up

refer to the NAD t752
https://dmc-electronics.com/Default.htm
http://www.axiomaudio.com/epicgrandmaster.html
a killer system for a little over $2K...this should satisfy the parameters you are looking for. Excellent for home theater and music, nice balance.
However, Magnepans are an excellent speakers with incredible detail, they can't be beat. Placement is very crucial, so keep that in mind. Budget mind has it right, the bass is not what you would find in any theater, so if you want bass, get a sub from either HSU, SVS or Velodyne. The NAD should have absolutely no problems driving Magnepans.
cheers

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us