Hooking up speakers

Username: Nakiesha

Post Number: 2
have a surround sound receiver. moved recently, & have to hook everything up again. the cordst o the 5-speakers are not color coded, like my 2nd system, so i don't know what goes where. i hookedt hem all up, and only the center & sub woofer work.

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 874
Try color coding the wires yourself by using a red and black marking pen. Color code both ends of the wires first and then go about hooking them up. You should not get confused this way.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1752
backwards speaker wire will still make sound, your interconnects are wrong, or you have to tell the receiver what speaker mode you want.
Try turning on all the speakers

Username: Dagreek

Poughkeepsie, N.Y. United States

Post Number: 1
I have an old stereo receiver, Kenwood KLH127 w/ no sub out. I'm looking to hook up 4 Polk Monitor 50's. I like the clarity of the speakers, the bi amp feature and I have space issues. The only problem is not much bass. I'm going to use them with my yamaha surround amp as surround but also want to bi amp them to my kenwood using the same powered sub. (Polk Psw120)I figured on using the sub out only on the Yamaha and hooking the sub up to the kenwood using the speaker level imputs. Since I have no sub out on the kenwood I'd like to know if I can double wire the speakers from the kenwood to the sub prior to hooking up the speakers? Will the built in sub crossover work if I double wire? I know some people will probably say just use the yamaha for music as well as movies but the yamaha sounds awful for music and I like the old fashioned stereo sound w/equalization for music rather than using 5.1 and DSP's which is mostly reverb. Any answers/advice would be appreciated.

Bronze Member
Username: Jethro

Lansing, Mi

Post Number: 52
thread jacker :-)

Username: Dagreek

Poughkeepsie, N.Y. United States

Post Number: 4
Sorry it was late and had a few. Forgot to go back and start a new thread.

Username: Nakiesha

Post Number: 3
To GMAN: if i color code the wires first, howwill that tell me which end goes where. the speakers don't have on off switches, so i don't know how to turn them on, besides plugging them in, as suggested by NUCK. i have 2 systems, one w/color coding & one w/out, and i have the same problem w/both (only one or 2 speakers work). both worked prior to me unhookingt hem for the move
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us