Totem Sttaf vs Vandersteen 1C

Username: Restlesstimes

Post Number: 10
OK, I think I am getting closer to something that fits everything I want. I listened to a lot of speakers and these two keep coming to mind. I love the way the Totem's look and the sound is pretty amazing, but I would like a little more bottom end.

The Vandersteens sound was also great, and has a little more bottom end, but they don't look as great as the Totem. Also, I am not sure that they have as an impressive soundstage as the Totem.

Leaning towards the 1C because of price though

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1044
TK -
Have you listened to these with your Rega Mira? Both are demanding speakers, and may not sound the same in your system. If you listened to the speakers with an amp that had a lot more power than your Mira, you may not be very happy when you get the speakers home. Rega makes fantastic sounding gear at very reasonable prices, but they do have their limitations.

That being said, they're both very good speakers. They have a few trade-offs as you've mentioned. You're the only one who knows what sounds best to you and how much you're willing to spend for it. I prefer the Arro over the Sttaf, but that's just me.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Stu,

the salesman said he was using a similar Arcam amp and that he would use the Mira if I came back and gave him a call first. He assures me I should have no problem diving them with the Mira.

As far as the Rega speakers, I went into this thinking about getting the R5, but wanted to hear them first. The store I use doesn't have them. I would have to buy them blind. He did say that if I wanted them he could order and if I didnt like them, I could bring them back for store credit.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1739
If it's your regular store, and you spend often, then a store credit isn't always a bad thing.

When store credit is a bad thing is when I 'drop by' and buy just because it is 'free'.(avec hangover)

Bronze Member

Washington , DC United States

Post Number: 12
I just found a pair of Vandersteen 1C's with stands on eBay for $325. I am seriously thinking about bidding on them, but am somewhat leary of used speakers.

The guy does have a 14 day return policy and will split the cost of shipping. Now that I think about it, that is a hell of savings.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1748
That sounds like a very good option.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1271
Can't comment about the Vandersteens. The Mira can drive Sttafs all day every day with no problem. In fact, the Rega/Totem distributor in Europe uses Mira/Sttaf as part of his demonstration set at HiFi shows. that's how good it is as a combination.

Regards,
Frank.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1054
TK,
I didn't want you to fall in love with something, take it home, and find that it doesn't work in your system. If Frank says it works, it has to work. He's one of the few who've never given me bad advice.

Bronze Member

Washington , DC United States

Post Number: 13
I really appreciate the advice and concern. I am still pretty much a novice at all this and want to make a wise purchase. I know I want the Sttaf's, and I am 99% sure that is what I will get.

I would love the maple, but not sure if I want to spend another 200 bucks
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us