Hum from amp

Bronze Member
Username: Angello

Post Number: 44
hello everyone!
i would like to know what's teh matter with my amp cuz when it's no sound from district i can hear the hum my amp. It's bother me when i wanna sleep ...
is this normal for a transistor amp or should i get new amp?

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1270
It's not the fact that it's a transistor amp. It's likely because it's got a big transformer in it, and more probably a toroidal tranformer (a round one). A lot of energy goes through a transformer. Toroidal transformers are a bit more prone to hum from bad quality mains because of their shape. Transformers are usually dipped in wax to stop the vibration from becoming hum, but it's difficult to eradicate completely.

Of course if it's really noisy the transformer could have come loose but you shouldn't be playing around with the insides of an amp if you're not at least somewhat savvy about amp design.

Regards,
Frank.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1740
Maybe turn it off at night Angello?

Bronze Member
Username: Angello

Post Number: 47
well i turn it off but when i get home the sound was even brighter( you know... it's not burn yet) than normal. I think if i would sell my amp for little budget rahter than fixing it. What about Nad and rotel amps are they also have samiliar hum often or not???

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1275
Angello

What I'm saying is that this isn't a problem of the amp's necessarily, but a problem of your mains! One thing to try, when the hum is really bad, try going around the house switching things off to find out which appliance is dumping this noise onto your earth. Usual culprits are fridges, freezers and washing machines.

The sad irony of this is, the better the amp, the more likely it will have a big transformer in it which will hum even worse...!

By the way, I am talking about hum from the amp, not hum coming through the speakers. If it's hum coming through the speakers that's a different problem which needs to be looked at by a competent technician.

Regards,
Frank.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us