What's up with my sub

Username: Dglass

Post Number: 2
I have a Dahlhquist PDQ-1500. It has worked fine the year I have had it so far, but after about the first few months, it has begun to make a popping noise, if I leave it plugged in for a long time. It is supposed to have an automatic shut off when there is no sound current going into it. I don't know what the deal is. Could you all give me a hand and tell me what the problem is and how to fix it, if it can be fixed.

Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1871
Unplug it when not in use.
In the first few months, it was still within warranty.

Gold Member
Username: Thx_3417

Post Number: 1402
Daniel Glass

What type of films have you played on it since you've had it?

Upload

Specifications:

Woofer: 15" Down Firing, 2" Voice Coil, 54 oz Magnet, Crowned Back Plate

Response: Variable from 28 Hz - 150 Hz

Amplifier Power: Class D (Digital) 175 Watts

Peak Amplifier Power: 500 Watts

Amplifier Controls: Variable Volume, Phase, Frequency
Note: the (Baby Boom LFE.1) should be kept at low level, due to the amount of testing that I have conducted on the (Baby Boom LFE.1) alone, I have seen an incredible rise in level on films like "Star Wars Episode 2 Attack of the Clones" which as the heights output that I've seen on any motion picture soundtrack, with lows extending down to 25Hz, with very high dynamic range output.

The way I have my home cinema set-up, is with the master fader at (0db) and with very careful calibration of the separate amplifiers volume, and slight EQ, and rather complex technique that I have used for the sub bass unit, where all the lows from the left centre right and split-surrounds are sent to an audio mixer, this is where I have total control over each output.

The (Baby Boom LFE.1), is also feed into this mixer, and the level as been noted on the VU meter, or meters, and with careful adjustment of the sub bass amplifier, which is driving a JBL professional cinema sub bass (JBL 4645 THX) in the 7 ½ years that I have had it, not a single days gone by with a fault.

Less is more, you should really run the sub bass unit, with less input, or rather match it to "Star Wars Episode 2 Attack of the Clones" with around -3 to -6db less, I think you will still enjoy the films and the music....

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 7451
What is the relevance of this to Daniel's inquiry?

Username: Dglass

Post Number: 5
I have played every Star Wars episode, even the original three episodes. Also, King Kong, Ladder 49, and many others. I am with Berny on this one; what does this have to do with my problem?

I appreciate the help, but could you dumb it down for me?

Thanks,

Dan

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1175
Guys,

Andy is a great guy, but his mind tends to wander a little bit. Please don't hold it against him.

Username: I_need_to_know

Post Number: 4
i have 2 15" spl subs in a box.. but the box has 2 little holes bout the size of a nickle on it... so... whould it hit harder if i made bigger holes????? or what should i do???????????????????????????????
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us