Receiver for Paradigm Speakers?

Unregistered guest
I'm a novice at best when it comes to audio systems, but recently jumped into the fray by purchasing a set of Paradigm speakers:

F: Monitor 5, RS: ADP 370, C: CC-370, B: PW2100

I get them home and install and soon realize that my old SONY reciever just isn't cutting it any more.

Any recommendations for a good receiver in the $1000-$1500 range to compliment these speakers for home theater and stereo play?

I'd say that probably 60-70% of the time I'll be using the speakers for home theater, but don't want to compromise when I throw in a CD for music.

Thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Buckeyeshine

Post Number: 87
Kim,

As far as Brands both Yamaha and NAD are good matches with Paradigm. There are others but I can't personally vouche for them.

IMHO you can't go wrong with NAD in your price range. I would recommend the NAD T763.

As far as Yamaha, the RX-V2400 would be my recommendation.

I own a NAD T773 after I tested a T763 out in my home with my Paradigms. I was replacing a Yamaha RX-V2092 at the time so compared an RX-V2400 against the T763, again in my home.

The T763 absolutely blew the 2400 out of the water for me. If you can get the opportunity to compare for yourself to use YOUR judgement that would be my recommendation.

Also, at the time I was reluctant to even consider NAD because of the many negative posts here. I am glad I didn't let those negative posts dictate my decision. I had NO issues at ALL with with either the T763 demo that I tested nor the T773 that I currently own. NO HISS...NO HUMM. Both outstanding sound quality and loaded with POWER. The only reason I opted for the 773 was I could afford the cost delta and more power never hurts.

This is one man's opinion. Good luck.

Bronze Member
Username: Gatt767

Malta

Post Number: 47
I would audition the NAD T763, its based on the T762, the difference is a redesign of the internal heatsinks, on/off switch, re positioned at the back and able to take software upgrades from the RS232 Port at the back, plus able to output more juice from its power amps, infact its a little bit heavier and able to output more wattage at certain peaks!

The T763 is able to drive 4 ohm loads, able to decode most of the major formats, except DTS96/24 (which the current design and DSP installed aren't able to decode this format due to the lack of procesing power). As regards to DPL2x NAD have not issued any upgrades, but rumours are running around that NAD will be issueing a software upgrade. When I don't know!

The interface for the OSD is quite basic, but extreemely flexible and able to be customized. I would audition this model with others, example Yamha, Denon, Marantz etc. and let your ears do the job for you!

if the above options aren't that Important I would also check the T762, you will surely find it at reduced prices if you look around. Just remember that the latest software version for the T762 is firmware 1.22. (firmware updates for this model needs a chip replacement)

Silver Member
Username: Johnny

Missouri

Post Number: 302
Kim,

I can't add much to what has already been said. NAD and Paradigm together is truly one of the great setups out there. The detail, clairity, and sound quality provided by this system would be VERY hard to match in my opinion.

I second what Robert recommends about getting the NAD T762. Since it is being phased out, the prices on this unit are killer. This unit started with a retail of $1300 I think, and it can be had now NIB for around $800 I think from www.saturdayaudio.com. It is a superb receiver and has loads of power...and the best thing is that you can get it well under your budget. However, if you want the few extra features of the T763, you can't go wrong there either...it will just cost you a lot more. The 762 and 763 are VERY similar in features and performance...the only differences being those listed by Robert above.

Good luck!!

Unregistered guest
Thanks for the advice. Seems to be a consensus on NAD.

A buddy of mine recommended Integra. He has the 7.2 receiver. Any thoughts on Integra with Paradigm speakers?

Bronze Member
Username: Kendrid

Post Number: 20
This is a NAD centric forum, so you might want to get opinions from other forums to see what they recommend. It's not that people don't discuss other brands, but it seems the majority of people here recommend NAD.

Head over to avsforum and it will be the Denon 3805. htforum and it will be Rotel.

You should shop around and see what brand's sound you prefer. I've personally not liked Denon's sound in the past but supposedly it has changed for the better with the 3805.

What do I have? An NAD 753. It is only two days old so I can't really comment on it's sound yet.

Unregistered guest
Anyone have any thoughts of a Dennon 3805 with the paradigm speakers?

I have a buddy who can get me one for $600 that sounded intriguing at that price point.

I guess the 3805 is pretty new, so maybe people have experience with the 3803?

Username: Bobby29

Post Number: 9
If you can get the 3805 for $600, BUY IT!! Or give me your buddy's number :-)

It lists for $1200.

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 542
Kim:

I had a Denon 3803, the predecessor to the 3805, and I would tend to believe the 3805 sounds no different than the '03. I tried a set of Paradigms (Monitor 5s, as I recall), at my home with the 3803. To be blunt, I was very disappointed.

The Paradigms are incredibly accurate speakers, with great detail. However, with the wrong electronics, I find the sound of Paradigm speakers to be a bit muffled--like a heavy stage curtain has fallen between me (the listener) and the speakers. I have never fully understood this, but I just felt some detail was lost when I used my Denon to drive the Paradigms. It seemed to lack focus as well as losing some detail.

I have spent a lot of time at my local Paradigm dealer trying different Paradigm speaker combos. This dealer offers two brands of receivers under $1500 because they are so well suited to Paradigms--NAD and Yamaha. I have not cared much for Yamaha at the lower price ranges (the RX-V740 and below), but as you move up in price the sound improves. Yamahas (other than the RX-Z9) tend to be a bit brighter sounding than most receivers, hence it tends to work well with the Paradigms as this brightness helps to counter-act the laid back nature of the Paradigm speakers. NAD, on the other hand, seems to work very well with Paradigms as it is somewhat forward sounding (but without the brightness). I also think that Paradigms tend to soak up power, so the more powerful the amp, the better they sound and NAD has always had some of the best power supplies out there. The Yamaha 2400 and 3400 tend to sound closer to an NAD, I think, because they have better power supplies than their less expensive brethren. So, either an NAD or an upper end Yamaha is a good match, IMO, with your Paradigm system.

Good luck!

Bronze Member
Username: Kendrid

Post Number: 24
From what I have read lately the 3805 sounds quite a bit better than the 3803. I haven't had a chance to try it myself.

I was very disappointed in the 3802 when I tried it. It was a very 'dead' sounding receiver - very dull and 'boring'.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us