Favorite SPEAKER you own or would like to get?

Bronze Member
Username: Armyscout42

DUGWAY , UTAH USA

Post Number: 50
Hello fellow sound lovers! tell us what loudspeakers you managed to currently have, have owned or would like to have within your budget. if you are married, what your wife or husband would allow? if you are single, what your paycheck can afford. if cost is no issue, you must be one of those contributors or have your system at www.exoticaudio.org and other high end websites.

Bronze Member

DUGWAY , UTAH USA

Post Number: 51
I am speaker collector somewhat, i'm going to only list my main or front speakers:
my flagship acoustat spectra 33 w/spw-1 passive subwoofer/ electrostatic loudspeaker 1990(andy szabo is chief engineer)
my eminent technology lft 8a, ribbon/magneplanar or push pull(bruce thigpen), similar to magnepan's mg-1.6qr.
Magnepan mg.05 planar/quasi ribbons, MGLRS-1 planar quasi ribbons.
Srslabs Klayman signature series loudspeakers/flat panel (dr. klayman)
Ohm walsh 2 and 2xo coherent line source walsh design using supertweeter. (john strohbeen, c.e.o)

former bose 901 series V owner from 1985-2001
bose 601 series 2 1982-1984

1975-1981 super high end sound design...yeah right! remember those? yup used to buy stereo review magazines from 1971 til 2003, in the 70's just dreaming i had BIC TIPPANY, ALLISON 3'S, bose 901 series 2,3,4...klipsch horns, lascala, cornwall. Electro voice, JBL, altec lansing, heathkit, AR-9's, where modern home theater towers came from. Those were revolutionary designs! OHM F'S, walsh 5's, QUADS and KLH electrostats and original magnepan tymphani. I grew up thinking only klipsch and bose were the dominant high end manufacturers. My favorite out of all of them were infinity's RS series and line source. too bad infinity longer makes high end designs.

Username: Simms7292

Cranford, NJ Usa

Post Number: 2
I just got a piar of Alpha technolgy Mac 2000f loud speakers. Do not know much about them. Is anyone familiar with the company or brand and if i should toss them or keep them?

Bronze Member

DUGWAY , UTAH USA

Post Number: 75
you might want to ask mr. vigne! he's the expert audio guy here in a lot of audio questions.

it might be listed at audio asylum or audio review. I'm sure it's a high end manufacturer, there are so many!

Silver Member
Username: Rysa4

Post Number: 425
The ones I would like to have are the Merlins ( either of the two offerings) or the Silverline Sonata 3s. I have an interest in Denali Summit designs as well. I like the Green Mountain Audio Callistos too.

On the budget side, far and away the best I have heard are from a french company called Highland Audio with, unfortunately, no US distributors.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1265
Totem Mani-2 Signatures. Their only problem? Very difficult to drive (200w/ch required really).

Previously I had Audio Note An-E SP but after 10 years the wife said somethign more room-friendly was required! :-) The Mani-2s are better than the Audio Notes in almost every way, and they're prettier, but it took me 3 years to find them.

Would like: Naim DBL...I think...but then I'd need a bigger house...

Regards,
Frank.

Bronze Member
Username: Dobyblue

St. Catharines, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 56
If I could I would love to have either Infinity Series V Reference speakers or the Martin Logan Statement E2 as my mains.
Although I don't think right now my gf would let me buy the cables those things would need, never mind consider buying them.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1041
Sonus Faber Stradivardi is the best speaker I've heard. At $40k and the cost of amplification and sources to do them justice, I'm going to have to go ahead and say they won't grace my home any time soon.

The Naim DBL's look like a great speaker. Again, finances won't allow them. Also factor in the cost of worthy ancillary equipment and the size of my apartment; I just don't see it happening any time soon.

I've recently became a big Naim fan and hopefully a soon to be Naim owner. I can't get the Nait 5i and CD5i voices out of my head.

Bronze Member
Username: Dobyblue

St. Catharines, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 57
Sonus Faber Stradivardi - 300lbs a pair!
Zoinks! Never heard of them before - now intrigued although much like you Stu miles and years away from ever being in my price range for speakers. Another $20,000 I'm sure just to get the right cables, source and power and you've just bought the equivalent of a Porsche.

Bronze Member
Username: Croozer

Rockford, IL United States

Post Number: 43
Definitive Technology BP7002

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 7195
My favorite is the Sonus Faber Cremona.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3731
Martin Logan electrostats, Aeon and higher models. Multidirectional immersive soundstage unlike any boxed speakers I've ever heard.

Silver Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 829
Upload

Bronze Member
Username: Diana_vargas

Post Number: 14
Audio Artistry Beethoven speakers:

http://www.audioartistry.com/

Silver Member
Username: Eld

Texas

Post Number: 127
Upload

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1786
I would rather forego my greatest speaker wish in trade for world peace.
Yeah, whatever.
Wilson watt puppies.
4 of em.
no, 5.

Username: Basicaudio

Chula vista, Ca US

Post Number: 6
great answers on any that was made! those are beautiful horns shown by timn8ter! avant grande makes beautiful ones too!
my choice of loudspeakers are german physik's GAUB, they are over $200k weighing at over 1000lb each.

all i can afford is used audiogon gear ranging from $1k to $1500...i currently have an Ohm walsh 2xo www.ohmspeakers.com and some optimus linaeum LX-5'S for surrounds
and a DCM sub with optimus linaeum center from RCA.

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1801
A man has to learn to live within his limitations.

Nice looking setup you got there from here, jim

Silver Member
Username: Frostyda9

Calgary, AB Canada

Post Number: 108
B&O Beolab 5 is my choice. I haven't heard anywhere close to everything out there, but the Beolabs were close enough to "being there" for me.

On the (slightly more) realistic end of the scale, I'm going to have to agree with Frank and vote for the Mani 2's, and give the value vote to the Model 1's.

I'd also take the B&W Nautilus Prestige if someone were giving them away...

Chula vista, Ca US

Post Number: 7
thanks nuck! great choice of loudspeakers. i guess with those wilson puppies, if everyone had it, your dream of world peace might just come to pass. all i can say is my system is better than those over priced bose some of my co-workers seem to brag about. i've seen those wilson puppies, lots of great reviews. imagine 5 of them in a home theater? that would be out of this world! Ohm has upgrades for the new 100mk2's but can't afford no upgrades. Happy with what i got.

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1802
The last Wilson setup I heard also had a sub the size of an economy class automobile.
I don't even know if it HAD a model number.
Ya can't overdo excess.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2880
Wilson Maxx 2's or Vansersteen Model 5A's (in that order).

I own my favorite budget speaker, the Paradigm Studio 20v3.

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1811
The title of the thread said 'own' or 'want to own'.
Art, you stand as the former.

Sweeeeeet.

Gold Member
Username: John_a

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4044
Upload

Quad ESL.

Thread: Quad Electrostatic Loudspeaker 63.

I have now had them for one year, and nothing has changed my mind.

There are similar, current production models, the Quad 988 and 989.

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1831
Nice, John, real real nice.

Bronze Member
Username: Irisfailsafe

BogotaColombia

Post Number: 16
REalistically I'd like to have the Aperion bookshelf speakers...
I currently have Yamaha NXE-130 speakers.

I would like to own a pair of B&W Nautilus Prestige
or Bang and Olufsen Beolab 5...

Chula vista, Ca US

Post Number: 10
Owning B&W is like owning BMW, another class of it's own or higher class, the same with the DANISH bang and olufsen who have always manufactured futuristic, state of the art products. Good choice of loudspeakers for your needs.
for the gentleman above, I DON'T KNOW anyone who complains about their QUADS. Can't go wrong with quads. some of the higher end speakers here are truly dream loudspeakers.

Username: Sikjaer

Post Number: 1
Try listining to the Gamut L7, they are made i my country Denmark, see them at www.gamutaudio.com. it is one of the best speakers.
I want to boy a pair, but my wife is in the middle of the battle, so it is not easy. Today we have B&O(Bang and Olofson) Speakers a pair of Beolab 8000 and a pair og Beolab 6000, but I miss the punch in the buttom.
Sorry for my english...
Peter, Denmark

Bronze Member

Chula vista, Ca US

Post Number: 14
that's ok, here in the united states, they only deport your SPEAKERS if you can't speak english.
just kidding!
i'll check out that site. Dali's are danish, those are very nice too. I know someone who own's dali's!
German physiks or MBL'S would be choice but any of the loudspeakers the people here want are are equally desirable as long as they aren't BOSE or trashy theater or digital research, no one would get bent out of shape. this is primarily a high end forum not a 99 cent store speaker like the two i mentioned!

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 878
The Linkwitz Orions. They are 3-way active crossover and open baffle speakers. Only downside is they have to be at least 3 feet from the back wall. Other than that they are the best speakers I have ever heard--and by a considerable margin. They aren't terribly expensive either, particularly if you have good DIY skills.

Silver Member
Username: Davidpa

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 161
I just recently found my audio nirvana.
aerial acoustics model 9s.
I understand the 20Ts are even better? Probably a good thing they werent available for an audition, or Id still be paying for the vacation, bathroom remodel, kitchen remodel, new car......................that the wife would want to even things up!
The more I tweak w/ positioning the better they get. Im like a kid who needs to get home from school in time to watch his favorite show!

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3743
> Bang and Olufsen Beolab 5...

I thought that Bang and Olufsen are just a higher-end Bose-ish lifestyle product, i.e. you are paying through the nose mainly for sleek compact form factor rather than actual SQ performance?

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1056
I've always aspired to own a pair of these

Upload

Theater Research is the best speaker company their ever was or will ever be.

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 888
Stu you lie like a cheap rug. We all know Bose has been your favorite. :-)

Silver Member
Username: Frostyda9

Calgary, AB Canada

Post Number: 109
"I thought that Bang and Olufsen are just a higher-end Bose-ish lifestyle product, i.e. you are paying through the nose mainly for sleek compact form factor rather than actual SQ performance?"

Generally, yes. The Beolab 5's have a really intersting sound though, you may like it and you just might hate it. A little bright, granted, but they have the ability to really disappear, which was what I liked about them. I wouldn't own them as my one and only pair of speakers, but if I had an extra 20 grand and nothing better to do with it, I'd pick a set up.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2890
I listened to the Beolab's recently in the B&O sound room after a jazz concert and didn't like them at all. They probably would have sounded better without the B&O electronics. Like to give them a listen with quality gear.

Bronze Member

Chula vista, Ca US

Post Number: 19
hey stu, did you get your theater research off one of those back of a VAN being chased by the highway patrol? reminds me of ACME products by WILEY COYOTE...kidding!
here's an interesting speaker design I'd like to listen to besides the ones already posted.
http://www.mjloudspeaker.ca/html._titanium_l64223.html

I didn't know they made high end loudspeakers out of WATER HEATERS!

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 889
I have never thought B&O systems sounded bad, I just don't think they are worth the price. I have a friend who has a basement full of B&O equipment and it is startling in combination with his H/T system, however he spend around $50,000 for the whole thing, and I know I can do as good a job if not better with even $15k.

But he is an ex pro footbal player so he can afford it and it certainly looks nice.

Bronze Member
Username: Irisfailsafe

BogotaColombia

Post Number: 20
I friend of mine has JBL reference speakers connected to his home theater but I have never hear it.

Do this speaker provide better sound than home speakers?

Bronze Member

Chula vista, Ca US

Post Number: 20
Not if you are comparing it to any of these high end loudspeakers. They are no where in the same league.
those are used more for music studio referencing.
It gets technical when you get involved with the high end community. just ask any of the commentators here who have experience. JBL is known for their professional applications. Not too impressed for home applications. Plenty of bass but bad imaging/soundstaging in my opinion. Way too boxy!
If you enjoy audio nirvana, accuracy, clarity, cleanliness, tightness of the bass, imaging/soundstaging, sweetspot are SOME of the examples of what to consider. Many of the commentators are even more technical and critical in their assessments. those who are very quality oriented are FINICKY and rightfully so if you are going to spend some bucks and if you are passionate about your musical and movie home entertainment. All the contributors here have good advice to make before you decide to check into those JBL'S.

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 727
MAGNEPANS. I can listen to Maggies all day, never get tired, and hear details I have heard through no other speaker. Even their MMGs ($550/pair) outperform many mega-buck speakers.

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 854
I agree hawk... thats why I own a pair of MMG's :-)

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 855
I agree hawk... thats why I own a pair of MMG's :-)

Silver Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 856
Ascend Acoustic CBM 170s - oh wait, I already own those. LOL

I'll have to go with Art here, I really liked the Vandersteens, Model V would do me fine and some beluga caviar to go with them, I suppose.

Username: Sikjaer

Denmark

Post Number: 2
JBL the good old American speaker, in my earlier days I had a pair of JBL L65, ten years after I found a pair og JBL L65 Jubal, the tweeter is one of the best. Back then I always listen to Dave Grusin, Lee Ritenauer, Bob James aso. The old JBL really sound great with Luxman equipment.
For some years back I found a pair of JBL TI 5000 they are made i Denmark, do anyone know the TI 5000?

Silver Member

Post Number: 875
OK, another option,

I'd really like to hear Tim Forman's Myras, just to see if he's put as much value into those as he has into everything else of his that I've heard.

If so, Tim's probably built a $5000 to $10,000/pair of speaker that he's selling for $2000 or $2500/pair. But, hearing is believing and I've yet to go hear these BUT it's on my agenda.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1066
I asked Tim to send the Myras on tour with no luck.

Username: Stefanom

Dublin, CA United States

Post Number: 3
I'm a simple man. I would just like a pair of Paradigm Studio 20's and a HSU VTF-3.

Bronze Member
Username: Kfree1966

Post Number: 16
Sonus Faber Cremonas

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2926
Well done Stephen. I love my studio 20's.

Dublin, CA United States

Post Number: 4
That along with an Marantz stereo receiver and CD player will probably constitute my next system, whenever I get around to it.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2931
Priorities right.

Dublin, CA United States

Post Number: 6
Indeed. I'll be moving back to Maryland in a couple weeks, and selling everything I own...including my current system. The joys of divorce...

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2933
Sorry to hear that Stephen. I went through that a couple of years ago. On the bright side, my ex and I are friends and I'm happily married to a wonderful woman...oh and I have Studio 20's..lol!!

Dublin, CA United States

Post Number: 7
Haha. Well, I'm still young, and I get to finish my degree here, which is always good. Plus all my family is back there, so its for the best.

Dublin, CA United States

Post Number: 8
Plus without the wife harrassing me, I can get whatever I want :-)

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2935
That's the spirit!!!!

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1949
Good luck, Stephen!

Silver Member

Post Number: 879
Stephen,

When life throws you a cherry, I usually get stuck with the pit, so I can relate. Sorry to hear about the divorce but life and music rolls on.

Pick head up, (seems like you're doing that), finish school, find new girl who likes music and live happily ever after. Hearts mend and they're stronger after they do, honest.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4075
That's correct. And well said.

Silver Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 479
Do I hear violins?

:-)

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4076
No, MR, more like "been there; done that". And I still have the speakers I purchased on the rebound, when I could spend my own money. They are now "vintage", of course, like their owner. Shame about the split LP collection, of course. That won't bother Stephen!

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 480
John, sorry my remark was referring to Daves heartfelt advice to Stephen. I could almost hear the soundtrack. :-)

So, et tu Mr A?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1974
I also have the souvenier t-shirt from divorce lawyer.

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 481
What the heck!

Am I the only guy left in the world a woman wants to keep?

Silver Member

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 166
No MR, Ive kept one too! Dont ask how, cuz she sure couldve done better!

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 482
Hooray I'm not alone! Congrats David - mine could have done better also.

Guess we're just plain lucky.

Silver Member

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 172
I cant gamble..........no luck there.
Im the guy that gets pulled over.....no luck there.
Im always the shortest.........no luck there.
Broken every bone in my body..........no luck there either.
Cars always break down......no luck there.

The list goes on............BUT

I am still one of the luckiest guys around! Sounds like you are too! Congrats as well.

Silver Member

Post Number: 883
MR,

Hey, been married, coming up on 29 years and she's kept me, too. I don't know what she's thinking of.

BUT, it took several heart breaks to get there and my longterm memory is still much better than my short term memory.

MR, yes those were violins, with an oboe just to the right of center stage, somewhat in the back of the soundstage and, I might add, a tenor sax playing, "My heart bleeds for you" well in the background. LOL

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 485
So that was "My heart bleeds for you" - and I thought I was going mad. Thanks Dave and congrats on the 29 years. We are 33 yrs in May. Geez, I've gotta remember that this year :-)

So I guess it must be our charisma, empathy, compassion, not to mention good looks and other virtues eh Dave?

Bronze Member

Chula vista, Ca US

Post Number: 28
SOUNDS LIKE YOUR WIVES ARE SINGING THRU YOUR SPEAKERS.
I believe it's the WAF factor or wife acceptance factor among audiophiles!
yup, i read it all the time. many men have to sell their beloved system or loudspeaker that they cherished because it doesn't fit the decor or the waf factor. You truly are lucky when the waf factor favors you when purchasing or owning the speaker system of your choice.
I think loudspeakers gets discriminated by wives or girlfriends more so than amplifiers or cd players, WHAT DO YOUT THINK?
poor loudspeakers, they are always judged based on their size, height, color and weight compared to their fellow amplifiers, receivers and players.
now among you audiophiles amplifiers are discriminated against equally to loudspeakers in my opinion. but among couples, it's always the loudspeakers! that means you guys need to sell everything and buy BOSE OR DAVINCI/THEATER RESEARCH/DOG DIGITAL/DIGITAL RESEARCH and AUDIOVOX!

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 489
"You truly are lucky when the waf factor favors you when purchasing or owning the speaker system of your choice."

Jim

My wife likes the looks of all our audio gear. But then I really like all her dresses and shoes and tell her often how beautiful she looks.

That's how you do it!

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4078
MR; "So, et tu Mr A?"

Yep. But it was so long ago that CDs hadn't even been invented. It hurt like h_ll at the time, but led on to wonderful things.

Cue violins.

Bronze Member

Chula vista, Ca US

Post Number: 30
hello guys, check out my new post on your choice between loudspeakers or your spouse or pets. be as humorous as yould like when responding (-: i am basing it out of this subject line and all the discussions made here.

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 492
"but led on to wonderful things"

That's the main thing, John. A case of: All's well that ends badly.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us