Need advice please

Bronze Member
Username: Siva_19742002

Post Number: 14
hi all,

i am having three choices. Sony DAV-DZ550 and Sony HT-DDW870 and panasonic SC-HT880 home theater system. i want to know which will be the best choice in terms of sound quality , reliability and performance. please give me advice on which should i choose.

Thanks .

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3712
that's like choosing between being shot, stabbed, or drowned.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 7080
Any other choice???

But if there are no other choices. Buy any and it will work. Any one is as good as the other.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
i practically saw the demo of Sony DAV-DZ550 and panasonic SC-HT880 system. The sound seems to be OK. May i know on what basis you find these systems not good.
can u also please tell me which brand home theater system and model is good , so that i can buy it
Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 7081
I did not say that it was not good. What I said was "one is as good as the other".

It is a Home Theater in a Box...it will work for it's intended purpose and you can compare it to other HTIBs in its class. Listen to other units and make a decision. Chances are they only differ in shrillness and detail or lack thereof.

It will perform as well as any box set would, short of bargain/cheap HTIBs.

If you want performance, try looking at separate units that are made with better components and prepare to spend more money.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3713
Of those 3 the 550 and 880 are probably better since they appear to at least have digital amplification (tiny slimline receiver). Those 2 seem to cost around $500? For an extra $200 you can get much better components (separate receiver, DVD/CD, speakers and a real sub) online.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1665
and without the digital fancy treble-trash amplification.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3715
LOL ignore Nuck, he's menstruating this week.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
Thanks for your replies for my queries.
Initially i was planning to buy denon 1706 receiver. but then i have to buy the speakers and dvd player separately. Hence i decided to go for a home theater in box system such as
sony DAV-DZ550.
Another thing is that this sony system has passive subwoofer. what is passive and active subwoofer, and which is recommended in based on performance.
Thanks

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1669
A passive sub depends on the receiver/amp for power.
An active speaker has it's own amp which is tuned and filtered to run just the one driver. Way better.

A Sony powered sub screams'crap,junk run away'

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1670
Ed, you missed a bit of my shorts, come back and eat the rest.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3716
those were shorts? I thought it was a nice gingham skirt!

Gold Member

Post Number: 3717
siva,

invariably the weakest part of any HTIB is going to be the sub, closely followed by the speakers. Their main selling point is usually cosmetics.

If you are severly budget constrained you'd be better off just buying a decent receiver, sub, and a pair of bookshelf speakers.

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1671
Indeed Siva, follow the lead that Ed has given, you can do so much better than a HTIB.
Start at audiogon.com and look for advice here.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
After reading your comments i visited the yamaha showroom and saw the demo of yamaha RXV357 receiver with bookshelf speakers. The demo engineer played a 5.1 channel movie and 5.1 recorded audio . the things which i noticed is that the sound is coming very good from the center,front left and right speakers. But the sound from the surround speakers is coming very very feeble and it can be heard only if we go near to the surround speakers. this receiver is having any problem or it is the limitation of the receiver. But this same movie and audio sound good in all the speakers in the sony DAV-DZ550
system.
Thanks

Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1259
siva

It could be that the setup of the system wasn't particularly good and so the surround seemed feeble. That said, it could be that the Sony demo had the rears set too high in order to impress you. This is a common trick!

Home Theatre in a Box is a very nice concept which is becoming more popular. They vary in price from bargain basement to really quitre expensive. (Linn and Naim Audio have HTIB solutions which cost over $10k including speakers).

Good luck with your choices!
Frank.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
Mr.Frank,
Thanks for your wishes. What u said is correct. The demo person of yamaha RXV357 could have reduced the sound of surround speakers.
Does the home theater in box system seems to be better than seperate AV receivers and speaker systems?

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1262
No. Generally speaking, the separates solutions allow you to setup the system a bit more accurately since they have more facilities which allow you to ensure the setup is correct. In fact it got so complicated that some mid-range receivers now come with a microphone and automatic setup software so that provided the speakers are in approximately the right place, then the receiver works out what the settings should be after just a few minutes of measuring noise against the microphone.

Traditionally, HTIB systems aren't that hot, but I was just pointing out that there are a couple of exceptions. Some people really have space problems which mean that the HTIB is the best solution for them, and my point was that good ones exist, but they're rare.

Incidentally, it's more likely that the Sony demo person turned UP the rears! :-)

regards,
Frank.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
another thing i noticed in the yamaha rxv-357 is that it doesn't have on screen display for displaying the menu screen of the amplifier in the TV. whereas the sony DAV-DZ550 and HT-DDW870 has on screen display. Will this on screen display matters more, because each time for scrolling down the menus we have to go to near the amplifier.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us