HDMI help! DVD + receiver + TV not working

Username: Psyches

San Jose, CA United States

Post Number: 1
I'm piecing my first home theatre together; got a Sony KDS-R60XBR1 HDTV, an HDMI upscaling Samsung DVD-V9500, and a Pioneer Elite VSX-74-TXVi receiver.

The DVD works fine connected to the Sony via HDMI. The receiver OSD also works fine connected to the Sony via HDMI. But when I connect the DVD to the receiver via HDMI, to the TV, also via HDMI, I get no video or signal to the Sony (and no sound either). Also, the DVD behaves a little strangely - if I load a DVD, it will stop immediately.

After trying various things including a Pioneer tech support call (they had me try to reset the receiver a few times before giving up), I got the combo to work briefly once, until I turned the system off. Then I couldn't get it to work again. When it worked, it worked great - I saw the little blinking-then-glowing HDMI icon showing HDCP was working, switched back and forth from tuner to DVD, etc, no problem.

From scouring the web looking for a solution, it looks like there are lots of problems with HDMI - especially with 3rd party transfers like I'm trying.

Does anyone have ANY insights that might help? The receiver shows it was made March 2005. Maybe a firmware upgrade is available by now?

It looks like the DVD resets HDMI mode at power-up sometimes - maybe that's the problem?

I'm very clueless as to how to figure this out.

Username: Psyches

San Jose, CA United States

Post Number: 3
Ok, I finally figured out what the problem was, so I got it working: HDMI from Samsung DVD-V9500, through a Pioneer VSX-74TXVi, HDMI out to a Sony KDS-R60XBR1.

I had assigned HDMI #1 to the DVD/LD input I was using for the Samsung DVD. That does NOT work by default. I actually had to assign one of the component video ins to the DVD/LD also (maybe s-video or composite would have worked too, I haven't tried it yet). I didn't need a component cable connected. At that point (I guess) the Pioneer figures out that I want video routed, and since HDMI is available it chooses that first.

Kind of seems like a bug to me, maybe even fixed in a firmware rev later than mine. I'm just very happy it's working - I've tried it many times, in many different power-up orders, and the HDCP handshake always works now.

Yahoo! Hopefully this could help someone else out there: if you assign
an HDMI input for some video device to a Pioneer Elite VSX-74VSXi, make sure and also enable a component in, even though it won't be used.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us