NAD c370, c372 vs. Arcam A65, A80

Username: Wick1000

Post Number: 1
Hello all,

I'm in need of some advice.

I'm in the market for a new integrated amp. After reading many of the posts on this site I was considering the NAD c372 (or c370). I went to a local dealer which carried NAD, but was immediately directed to the Arcam A65 (Mercedes vs.Subaru was the analogy). OK, I know I was at a dealer...need to take them for a test drive and decide for myself etc. Unfortunately, I did not bring my own cd's so the road test was done with 'Kind of Blue' by Miles Davis. A little noisey from the original tape masters but something I could at least compare with.

The problem was they did not have the NAD c372 hooked up only the NAD 320BEE (First issue I had). Luckily they were able to run the same cd player I own (a Rotel rcd-02).

My test drive: the Arcam did have a bigger stage, more separation... but I found the higher end of the mids were forward, hence certain instruments more pronounced/ present...maybe too much emphasis on the highs (need to test with my own cds). The NAD 320BEE (which I am not interested in as a NAD model) sounded a little condensed/less articulate, but noticibly warm and more like a familiar rock album listening experience...yet overall lacking somehow in comparison.

Questions:
Would I find the NAD 372 to be more dynamic compared to what I heard with the 320BEE?

What are your feelings on the Arcams? (i've read mixed reviews).

Are there other brands I should be considering ($600 to $1000)?

About me:
I'm running Monitor Audio s6's, and Rotel rcd02

I would like a good phono stage (have over 1000 lp's). but if need be am prepared to get a phono pre-amp. (@ ~$200. any recomendations would be appreciated)

I am not an audiophile per say but listen to music constantly (no TV). My audio tastes are pretty diverse. Old Rock 50's/60's/70's, New Rock 80's/90's/ 00's , Jazz, World Music, Oldies, Electronica, Folk, Experimental, 20th Cent. Classical.

Any input would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Wick1000

Silver Member
Username: Sun_king

Leeds, West Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 350
The C372 is way more dynamic than the C320BEE. It also has a much fuller and deeper sound. No phono stage though so you will have to add one. Nad do the PP2 which is cheap and cheerful or you can look at more expensive stages if your turntable is up to it. As for the Arcam, it's a good amp and one I would consider if I didn't prefer Nad (which I do)!

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1245
The NAD presentation takes a few more risks than the safer Arcam. Then again, the Arcam is always pleasant to listen to. Both the 352 and the 372 are quite a bit better than the 320BEE in my view. If you thought it was close with the 320BEE then the game would be over with the bigger NADs.

The A80 is a very different amp to the A65, so if you were interested in what you heard with the A65, this could be the answer. I only mention this amp because it's in the thread's title.

The ProJect phono stages are pretty good value in my view, particularly the SE, but I'm not aure about prices on your side of the pond.

Regards,
Frank.

Username: Wick1000

Post Number: 2
Thanks for both of your responses.

Going to a few dealers this weekend.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us