Receiver choice for 901s

Username: Furtiveagentx9

Post Number: 1
Any advice for a poor, hardly-a-true-audiophile on selecting a receiver for a pair of Bose 901s? (Unfortunately I don't yet know what series, so feel free to keep it general)

If not a particular model, at least criteria to look for? It would be a simple two-speaker system whose primary duty will be to play CDs on your average CD player.

Two disclaimers, because people get up-in-arms about some silly stuff: a) I did perform a search here, sorry If I missed what I was looking for. b) I'm not spending $1k on the speakers, but only a few hundred at the recommendation of my dad who once drooled over them when he was my age. I know many of you think he's brainwashed and that Bose is crap, and that's fine. But to type any more on the subject will be a waste of your time.

Thanks, all

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1598
Panasonic xr-55.
Match made in heaven.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3692
don't mind Nuck he just likes to be cute, the Panasonic is way too good for the Bose speakers.

I'd buy something used from eBay, a vintage HK, Marantz or Pioneer stereo receiver for maybe $100.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 6907
I have to agree with the Panasonic. Nice and inexpensive, should be able to rock the Bose with no problem.
Why not?!? Maybe he'll upgrade later:-)

Silver Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 874
I agree, the Panasonic's faults might prove to be strengths when paired with the Bose.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3694
yes I agree the Panasonic crushes most other analog AVRs under $800 but the 901s are bound to make it sound "bright."

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1017
I think the 901's require an equalizer, right? If so, the receiver would need either a tape loop or pre-out/main-in loop. If the 901's can be used without the eq, then their shouldn't be any problems.

Username: Furtiveagentx9

Post Number: 2
Thanks, everyone. Assuming it does have a tape-loop or pre-out (from what I understand, the 901s are about worthless without their EQ), the XR-55 seems like a fair deal.

And yeah, I'm sure I'll upgrade ... once I can afford this hobby of yours. :-)

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1613
And you laughed at me, Eddie.

The only think 'cute' about me is the hair on my toes.(think about that one).

The Panasonic seemed a good match for speakers that are over-hyped, oversold and over the edge for normal people.

Nice to see you around again, Eddie.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us