CD Connection

Bronze Member
Username: Blazer

Post Number: 74
Hello all,
I wrote NAD recently and they told me the best way to connect my C542 CD player to my T773 receiver was via the analog RCA connection since the DAC's in the C542 are of higher quality. This makes sense to me but I am curious? I am using bookshelf speakers for my L/R mains and a subwoofer crossed over at 80hz. If I use an analog connection won't the signal be converted several times before being output to the speakers? Once in the CD player (D2A), and twice in the receiver (A2D & D2A) causing a degredation of the origanl signal. Wouldn't it be better to use a digital connection so that the signal only has to go through one conversion? I guess what I'm really asking is are the DAC's in the CD player really that much better such that the signal could go through 3 conversions and still sound better than the DAC's used only once in the receiver? Direct Bypass is not an option since my fronts don't go low enough to produce decent full range sound and need a subwoofer for the low end.

Username: Serniter

Piscataway, New Jersey USA

Post Number: 6
I have a similar question. At present, I use a DVD changer connected to my receiver through an optical output. That means, I'm using the receiver's DAC. When I use RCA inputs, I'm using the DVD player's DAC. Its my assumption that analog signals from the DVD player are not 'processed' by the receiver before being amplified and sent to speakers. Am I right on this? Also, are there any drawbacks to using an optical cable? I'm happy with the sound though!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 86
You are correct. If the DACs are better in the player, use an analog connection. If not, use a digital. Most audiophiles will suggest coax but I really don't think there's much difference unless you're making a long run. However, if you are using a sub and the receiver's x-over, then the digital connection is prob better since you want as few da/ad conversions as possible. Hope that helps.

Silver Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 441
Blazer, your answer to SA seems to contradict what you state in your first post. By using analog connections from the player, cd or dvd, the signals have been coverted by the D/A's and are amplified by the receiver - they don't pass the receiver's D/A's again. What would be the point of analogue connections if this was otherwise?

The other method of using your sub would be using the speaker level connections - speaker cables to sub, then to speakers - and set the crossover on the sub. That is providing your sub has speaker level connections.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 87
My Rantz, Perhaps I wasn't very clear. I apologize. I was saying that with an an RCA connection you would be only using the receiver for amplification since the DA conversion was done in the source. Good if you are only listening to 2 channels without a sub. However, if a sub is connected to the receiver, in order for the receiver to send a signal to the main 2 channels AND the sub, another conversion would have to take place in the receiver via the crossover setting in the receiver. Of course this can be avoided if you are connecting your front mains to the sub and using the sub's x-over. Right?

Silver Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 456
Blazer, yes that's right.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us