Sound Sucks

this guy
Unregistered guest
i have a yamaha yp211 and the problem is i have to turn up the volume on my reciever just to hear it but its so qiuet i just replaced the stylus and the reciver is in good shape i know its the turntabe but not sure on what to check for thanks for any help

Silver Member
Username: Two_cents

Post Number: 725
This Guy, are you related That Girl?

You need a phono preamp between the turntable and the receiver. Do a search on phono preamps here or google.

This Guy
Unregistered guest
No bit I did do Some Girl arnt phono preamps for newer systems my record player is from 79 and the reciver is from 1980 but if im wrong let me know thank for you help two cents

this guy
Unregistered guest
i thought a phono preamp was for a newer system my system is from the late 70's thanks for your help two cents

this guy
Unregistered guest
i thought a phono preamp was for a newer system my system is from the late 70's thanks for your help two cents

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7767

Yep, you're wrong.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1228
That's a bit harsh. In fact it's likely that an amp from 1980 would have a phono stage built into it. Quite rare for an amp that old not to have a phono stage.

regards,
Frank.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7774

But, Frank, TG is wrong and he asked to be informed if that was the case. And, while chastising me for my response, your post provided no help to the situation. TG is wrong in assuming it's the turntable that is at fault. The turntable itself has nothing to do with the volume and gross quality of the sound. The turntable is merely a mechanical device to spin the record beneath the stylus tip. While many things can go wrong in this seemingly simple process, a reduction of volume is not one of them. Therefore, the problem must be elsewhere in the system, or in TG's perception of the situation.

The two devices responsible for the volume of sound would be the cartridge and the phono pre amp. That assumes, of course, the other functions of the receiver are in decent operating condition, which TG assures us is the case. Is the cartridge defective? Possibly, but that's extremely unusual and certainly not the first place I would check other than making certain there was still a stylus on the cantilever. Though not a certainty in this case, we can assume the new stylus is still intact. It would be a good idea to check this, TG.

That leaves the phono pre amp. And, while I would agree most 1980's receivers probably had a phono pre amp, there is little reason to assume a twenty six year old receiver has a working phono pre amp. A bad capacitor or resistor in the phono section would account for the "sucky" sound TG describes. So, with the information provided, which is both inadequate and contradictory to fully diagnose the problem, I would say TG is incorrect to assume his turntable is at fault and agree with 2c that the most logical place to start troubleshooting is with a known-to-be-working-properly phono pre amp.

All this assumes what TG says in his lead; that the sound "sucks". Well, of course, that would imply to all of us that the sound quality is bad. However, the body of his post states, " ... the problem is i have to turn up the volume on my reciever just to hear it ... ". This doesn't suggest a sound quality problem but merely a volume issue. And, once again TG would be wrong to assume his turntable is at fault. More than likely, if the problem is just volume and not quality, the resolution is to accept the fact that phono sections do not typically output as much voltage as most contemporary digital sources. That would make the answer more along the lines of, if you can still reach full volume with the phono section, then it doesn't matter where the volume control is set. The answer would then become a matter of relax, don't worry. Good advice for all of us.

Or, if TG can find someone to look at his vintage reciver, he can have a service tech do a proper diagnosis.

Alternately, he could have read a few of the archives on this thread to find these same answers provided to numerous requests very similar to his. However, I guess Frank would think me rude at this point to suggest reading.

Silver Member
Username: Two_cents

Post Number: 729
this guy,

It would be pretty easy to find out if your receiver has an internal phono stage. See if there are plugs in the back of the receiver marked "phono". If the turntable is connected to these plugs and the volume is still too low, then the phono stage is either not working or not there. And also make sure you haven't inverted the interconnect cable.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7778

"And also make sure you haven't inverted the interconnect cable."

???

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1244
Jan,

No I wouldn't consider you rude by suggesting that TG refer to the archives. That said, it seems to be in the nature of internet fora to find repetitive questions being made even though they've been answered before.

I think 'chastise' is a rather strong word to use for my response. All I said was that most 1980 amplifiers would have had a phono stage built in. My response may have been less constructive than yours, but yours was just a wisecrack after all since it didn't elucidate in what way TG could be wrong. Not exactly helpful, n'est-ce pas?

TG, there's a relatively easy way to find out if the phono stage in your amp is duff. Listen to some music with the record deck plugged into the Phono input. Now plug the record deck into a line input on the amp that you know works. For example, unplug your CD player and plug the record deck into that input. If the sound level is exactly the same through that input as it is in the phono input, then your 1980 amp either doesn't have a phono stage (most likely) or that phono stage isn't working.

OTOH, if the sound is even quieter (and by quite a bit) than it is when plugged into the phono input, then you do have a phono stage and it's probably working correctly. Most phono stages do not have as high an output as line level sources, such as CD players, in order to keep the sound to noise ratio as low as possible.

regards,
Frank.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us