Onkyo TX-SR703: XM Connect & Play antenna causes "hum"?!?

Joseph Pick
Unregistered guest
I have a new Onkyo TX-SR703 AVR and I picked up an XM Connect and Play antenna and activated service, since the 703 is XM-ready.

I noticed, when listening to different inputs (DVD, iPod, CD, etc.) that I heard a faint, but audible high-pitched "hum" sound. Usually, the sound is most noticeable during quiet songs or parts of movies - I definitely hear it coming from all inputs when nothing is playing. After some troubleshooting, I discovered that the sound went away when I unplugged the XM Connect and Play antenna!

Anyone have similar experiences? I don't know if the problem is with the antenna or the Onkyo 703. If I need to exchange one of them, I don't know which one to take back.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7760

The problem is most likely in your electrical service. Though "hum" is typically low pitched and "buzz" is high pitched. You might look into the possibility of a ground problem. If all the sources and the receiver are not plugged into the same AC outlet, there is a typical problem of having different ground potentials for separate components. Getting all your components tied to one central earthing point might solve your problem.

http://search.yahoo.com/bin/search?p=star%20grounding%20audio%20components

Joseph Pick
Unregistered guest
Thanks Jan. "Getting all your components tied to one central earthing point might solve your problem." Not sure what you mean. I'm confused that the probelm is gone now that I've removed the XM antenna. Any ideas?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us