Yamaha RX-V757 or Denon AVR-2805?!

Silver Member
Username: Twochordcool

Post Number: 119
I was considering the Yamaha RX-V757 because the Yamaha DSP-AX757SE received such a high review in WHAT HI*FI? SOUND AND VISION - and I believe it's the American version of the same receiver.........am I right or wrong about this?

But the problem is, whatever receiver I decide upon I wanted to get the same brand DVD player.

Is this good thinking or unnecessary?

The problem is that I have read poor reviews on Yamaha's lower priced DVD players.

Therefore, I am now considering the Denon AVR-2805 because BOTH the receiver AND most of their DVD players earn very high marks. Like the Yamaha it is a 7.1 receiver with 100 watts per channel.

It's a little older than the Yamaha, and the Yamaha apparently bumped it out of first place, but I imagine it's just as good.....

Your thoughts please!

Silver Member

Post Number: 120
lame.

this forum used to be good and informative.

Silver Member

Post Number: 121
lame.

this forum used to be good and informative.

Bronze Member
Username: Jethro

Lansing, Mi

Post Number: 30
denon makes better dvd players, both make similar receivers for prices. denon may have edge on both ends. i like yamaha processing technology better and denon amp section better. denon more neutral, yamaha more bright. your receiver and brand of dvd matching doesn't make a whole lot of difference, but for me i like my stuff to match. so i would buy from same manufacturer, hence i would get the denon cause dvd i think 2910 or 1910 is better than the yamaha counterparts and the receivers are comparable but would imo edge to the denon. You will be happier with the denon.
End Response **

But.. for future reference, sorry but i gotta go here, please do not insult the forums. there are a lot of great people here to offer insight and help free of charge to anyone. they do this because they *like* to. for u to say it used to be good and now its lame because nobody responded *quick* enough is unfair to alot of dedicated, generous and knowledgeable posters who have helped numerous people find a better way to spend their hard earned money, including me.

Silver Member

Post Number: 122
alright, appreciate that. i just felt ignored and really was looking forward to feedback.

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 989
Tim,
"alright, appreciate that. i just felt ignored and really was looking forward to feedback."
You could be one of the most high maintence guys I've ever come across. In a more sweroius matter, I had problems logging in all day, and I think a lot of others did as well because their was hardly anything posted during certain times.

In answering your question I have the same advice I had when you were giving yourself a heart attack over speakers - do whatever sounds best to your ears.

Silver Member

Post Number: 123
Yeah well, I think that heart attack will have been worth it! Now if I could only find the ideal receiver for my B&W 602 S3's!

And since I have 3 pairs I think I will invest in the matching B&W center channel to complete the 7.1 after all!

I think 100 watts will be plenty in a small to average room?

What is HDMI, and what is the big deal, and should I get a receiver that has that?

If not do you think I can go wrong with the Denon AVR-2805 and a Denon DVD player?

:-)

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1232
Denon are about to replace the 2805 with the 2807. This means that a) there should be some 2805s going cheap and b) the 2805 is about to become obsolete. the story behind the 2807 is that it will be a little more expensive than the 2805 but it will be a whole heap better - in fact, the stories are that it will rival the 3805!

Power is a useful guide buyt it's not everything. yes, 100w/ch (all driven) is ample, but it is the quality of the drive and the way in which it is delivered that counts just as much. The 2805 was a good machine and the B&W 602 is a relatively easy load, so they should match well. The Denon DVD player to match is the 2910 and that is an excellent performer for the money.

HDMI is an interface standard for plugging in two components with Audio and video in the same connection. It's a very small plug/socket of similar size to a USB connection. It is pretty much required for high definition pictures (BluRay - Playstation 3, SKY-HD). Most screens only have one HDMI interface so it could be a good idea. That said, if you have no intention of having multiple high def sources, or you really want to do the job properly with an external quality scaler (such as Lumogen or Crystalia) that would be wasted functionality. Most AV receivers only do mediocre video switching in my experience.

Regards,
Frank.

Silver Member

Post Number: 124
Thanks Frank!

So if I am reading what you have written correctly, it seems to me that purchasing a receiver with HDMI is not really vital?

And what will make the 2807 so much better than the 2805?

How long will I have to wait?

Silver Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 869
I'd personally look at the 3805/3807 for the improved processing, Burr Brown DACs, Torroidal power supply and added power.

Silver Member
Username: Geekboy

Tampa, FL United States

Post Number: 404
FYI: the forum was down for a while the other day. They were having software issues. When accessing this forum you would have received a blank page or an error 500 (Internal Error).
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us