Could use a little help pls

Dalt
Unregistered guest
Hi im currently building a ht system and need a little help i currently got some paradigm monitor 7's v2 paradigm adp 170's looking at getting either a cc 350, cc 370, or studio/cc for the center could use a little help on that but the main thing i could use some help on is a reciever im looking at spending $500 so any suggestion would be really helpful i would spend more on a recievr but just got some newer bills so gotta cut back some so any help would be helpful thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Jethro

Lansing, Mi

Post Number: 19
yamaha rx-v657 in this price range and has good processing and adequate power for ht.
good bang for ur buck receiver

later

Dalt
Unregistered guest
would a denon 1906 handle those speakers just fine or would i need more power? cause i really like the sound of denon and i heard they go really good with paradigm.

Bronze Member

Lansing, Mi

Post Number: 26
to be perfectly honest with u my man, i like the denon sound and own a denon 3806 so maybe im not the right person to ask as i may be biased. but i may be of some assistance. i have owned both denon and yamaha receivers and i like the denon sound better as i believe it to be less bright or harsh. for long listening my ears are less fatigued by the denon sound, seems more musical, less mechanical. However, the question that is pretty much at hand in here is whether a denon 1906 will handle ur paradigm 70s and cc-370. yes, get the cc370 to better match ur 70s up front, or u will regret it.

the denon is rated at a non-conservative 85 x 7 watts per channel and the yammy is rated at 95 x 7. with my xperience, both yammy and denon rate their power similarly as there isn't a very discenrnable difference w/ power handling cababilities with same power listings. I believe both receivers will *adequately* power ur relatively easy to drive monitor 7's rated at about 90 db's having decent sensitivity and a straight forward 8 ohm design.
Normally i would always reccomend a denon over a yamaha of equal price range due to my personal preference alone as i have not a clear cut reason except for *what i hear* myself. but, recently i have been in teh process of helping my sister build a home moderately priced home theater system and i have talked to some pros out there that seem to think the yammy 657 is one of the best receivers on the market at its price range, and listening to it, i was pretty amazed, given its price. i didn't do an a/b vs the denon 1906, but i think the yammy will outclass the denon at this particular price range. i urge u to find a dealer to a/b the two receivers and buy the 1 u like better. all in all tho bro, u can't really go wrong either way for HT. HT is easy in my opinion. Music + HT is a whole nother ball of wax. so as long as ur pretty much using ur system for HT, don't worry just listen and buy.

later

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 687
My local Paradigm dealer carries Yamaha and NAD receivers, so I have been able to audition Paradigms with both types of power (I am sure he is tired of me by now, but he is nice enough that he doesn't let it show). Paradigms are great speakers, IMHO, just a little recessed sounding which could benefit from an amp that is just a little forward sounding. The Yamaha is good, but the NAD really makes those speakers sing. I would strongly suggest the NAD 7143 which is one of the finest values in a receiver today, IMO. Not complicated, but it has everything you are likely to need. More importantly, it will deliver about 15% more power than rated as NAD rates the power with all channels driven (unlike the mass brands which only rate two channels at a time, hence they are clipping usually about 20-30% below their rated power when you are using it for HT applications). You can get one for about $480, perhaps less. If you can't find it locally, check out Kiefs.com or saturdayaudio.com. NAD d/n allow discount internet sales, but you can go to the website to get the phone number or e-mail address of these two retailers to contact them and get a good deal. I have dealt with both and highly recommend both dealers.

Good luck!

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 688
One more thing--I do not like the sound of the Denon with Paradigms. As I mentioned the Paradigms are just a little recessed sounding--like back of the soundstage. A denon has a similar sound, so that the musicians move even further back and behind the curtain when using a denon to drive Paradigms. Something more forward is necessary to balance out the sound and provide a better location for the musicians on the soundstage. Thus, I think the 1906 is not a good choice for those speakers.

Bronze Member

Lansing, Mi

Post Number: 44
i agree with hawk pretty much on his assessment, but if ur talkin HT, don't worry about the receiver so much and making a bad decision and regretting it, just listen for urself and pick one. ur not going to regret it. if u plan on using ur system for music, let us know and then we can split hairs.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1619
The line has really been drawn lately, I find.
If you want a system to accommodate the stereo(or multi) music AND movies, one really must consider the return of percentages.

Any piece of equipment can do movies.
Some better than others.
The music, if considered at all, really must come first, even at 15%.

2 channel movies work pretty well, so long as the placement is correct, and the sub works.

$4.98 change.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us