Reciever vs. Intergrated Amp

Username: Mad_hatter

Collegedale, TN USA

Post Number: 1
Greetings, I'm new here and searching for an answer to my question. I am a college student on a limited budget, I want to upgrade my stereo system. I don't watch movies at all, and only desire the unit to listen to music. I've studied the reciever market and narrowed the search to the HK3480 as my choice if I were to purchase one, and seeing as Amazon.com sells them for $262 it's hard not to go that direction. then I read a review about someone decided to go with a NAD intergrated amp instead, and I was introduced to the world of so called 'High end'. After glancing at several $2000+ range stereo amps, I decided if I buy a new system I can't afford much more than a reciever. But then, looking around on ebay I found some vintage, used, and just old 'intergrated amps' so my question is this, would I be better off with a new HK3480 or a used high-end intergrated stereo amp. I already have speakers, I have a set of DCM 12A (12 inch woofer, 6.5 mid, plus a 3 tweeter, floor speaker) that I picked up when I worked at circuit city, they are rated at peek 500W each, and my old skool Onkyo TX-2500 distorts them on the higher volume levels. I assume this is largely from a lack of power to push them. Any advice?

The Phoenix
Unregistered guest
HK is very musical for the money. I would stay away from used gear. With your budget constraints, a decent integrated amp is probably not a viable choice.

Silver Member
Username: Ziggyzoggyoioi

Outside Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 243
If you can afford to bridge the price-gap a little bit, check out the Outlaw Audio RR2150 stereo receiver. It sells for $599, and the reviews are phenomenal. I can't say that I've heard this particular item, but I do own an Outlaw amp and have heard their pre/pros and can vouch for both the sound and build quality of their products.

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 727
Andrew,

you can get a decent intergrated for little money.. check out the pioneer elite A-35r

John Wagner
Unregistered guest
Just wait until the review comes out on the Outlaw 2150 stereo receiver in March in Stereophile! I already ordered my 2150!

Collegedale, TN USA

Post Number: 3
the outlaw looks pretty nifty, but at 600 bucks and more than double what the HK goes for, I really can't justify the cost. and, on paper anyway, the specs of the HK are superior to the Outlaw. Not that that means it sounds better, but I haven't heard either one of them stores don't really sell two channel much anymore. Is that pioneer a newer model, or a used one? What years is it better or worse? buying used opens up a whole new can of worms...

-Andrew

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2829
Your money. The Outlaw will be like apples to oranges vs that HK. The Outlaw's performance will far exceed it's price. The HK and Marantz stereo receivers are nice but not at the same level. Specs are nice but they don't tell the whole story.

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 818
I don't know if you have access to a place that sells used equipment, but I can highly recommend an older integrated amp or receiver from Rotel. Instead of buying on eBay, you can go with some of these B/M stores that you can also purchase from on the phone. They are very good in terms of return policy.

www.saturdayaudio.com
www.audioconsultants.com

Collegedale, TN USA

Post Number: 4
yeah, it's my money, cept I don't have 600 to spend... If I am going to only spend around 300, should I buy the HK for 262 from amazon, or should I try to find a used Intergrated Amp, or something more powerful?

I checked out those web sites, but wasn't able to find anything that really met the criteria. Don't really know anywhere near by that sells used stuff, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

-Andrew

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 821
No there may not be anything right now, but just like eBay you gotta check back in.

Either way if you heart is really se on that HK, then go with it. The sound won't be spactacular, but then you don't pay for it either.

Collegedale, TN USA

Post Number: 5
So do you guys think I could get a better sounding used intergrated amp for the same money? If so what model would you reccomend that would produce the most ammount of power, as I said, I have 500W each peek capable speakers with 12 inch drivers, so I really need some power to push them... this old Onkyo TX 2500 doesn't crank out that much juice.

dalt
Unregistered guest
Hi im currently building a ht system and need a little help i currently got some paradigm monitor 7's v2 paradigm adp 170's looking at getting either a cc 350, cc 370, or studio/cc for the center could use a little help on that but the main thing i could use some help on is a reciever im looking at spending $500 so any suggestion would be really helpful i would spend more on a recievr but just got some newer bills so gotta cut back some so any help would be helpful thanks

dalt
Unregistered guest
sorry bout that last post meant to make a new thread sorry

The Phoenix
Unregistered guest
Art is right. But doubtful you will find the Outlaw for $262-certainly not new. Sometimes, you get what you pay for.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us