Help choosing a subwoofer

Bronze Member
Username: Kidstereo

Post Number: 12
Hey, guys. I need help here. Are there any good subs out there that sell for $400 or less? Sub must be no smaller than 10 inches, and must not be easy to blow.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3648
Hsu STF-2 is $400, b-stock is $350 shipped.

Mirage S12 is $400 shipped and 12" from vanns.com if they still have any stock, and similar to Hsu STF-3 that costs $600 + shipping.

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 700
I will second the HSU research line.

However, can you up your budget if you must?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Maybe I can up my budget by $50, but not much more. Kepp in mind that I still attend college and therefore am still on a limited budget.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3651
You'll be very happy with this, "coming soon" they claim:

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/549499051?v_c=Google

Gold Member

Post Number: 3652
PS. At the bottom of that page, they're offering b-stock S12s for $340...if that includes shipping that's an even sweeter deal.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Guys, I've got some sad news here. I just talked to my family about the new stereo I want to buy, and my Dad and sister thought that I should spend no more than $299 on a sub. What do you guys think of the Cerwin Vega subs?

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 786
um...

CV= junk

how big is your room?

stick with HSU research... The STF-2 b-stock is $350 shipped (thanks eddie)

however, if you can get away with an 8 inch (HSU 8 is akin to the mass market 10 for overall output and power...bad analogy, hope you can read it for how I mean it), than the STF-1 is the ticket. It is priced right at $299, and only costs $16 to ship.

here is the link:
http://www.hsustore.com/stf1.html

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 787
there are some great quotes from reviews on the website as well.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
My room is 13 ft. long, 8 ft. wide, and 7 ft. high.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
My room is 13 ft. long, 9 ft. wide, and 7 ft. high.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
Whoops, double-posted by mistake. Sorry.

Username: Serniter

Piscataway, New Jersey USA

Post Number: 1
That makes it 819 cubic feet. HSU STF1 is good for rooms under 2000 cubic feet...

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/purchase/advisor.mv#bottom

Gold Member

Post Number: 3695
The Outlaw LFM-2 might also be worth consideration, it was also designed by Dr. Hsu --- main difference seems to be that the Outlaw has bottom firing woofer AND ports, which is supposed to reduce port noise and simplify placement.

Username: Dscrobe

Reading, PA USA

Post Number: 5
Velodyne VX-10 recently sold on sale at Tweeter for $219. Recently purchased. Sounds pretty good. Still experimenting though. Undecided on keeping it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
Are you guys absolutely sure a down-firing subwoofer should be my answer? Because one time, I went into Circuit City, and saw an Onkyo down-firing 10" subwoofer as part of an Onkyo HTiB. When I tested that sub out, I could hardly hear any bass from it, even with the volume cranked to the max. I know, Onkyo subs and speakers are junk, blah blah blah, but that has made me a little skeptical about purchasing a down-firing subwoofer.

So, are you guys sure a down-firing subwoofer can produce a good amount of bass?

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 846
downward firing vs. front firing is all personal preferance. If done properly, EITHER is worth considering.

and yes, a downward firing sub can produce prodigious amounts of bass. Just look at some of the downward firing SVS subs.

Silver Member
Username: Matt12490

Benicia, California USA

Post Number: 616
what are the pros and cons of down firing subs and front firing?? i am about to make a ported enclosure for a sub. also, where should i put the port?

Silver Member
Username: Touche6784

USA

Post Number: 964
the velodyne VX-10 is one of the worst subs that velodyne has made. do not buy it under any cicumstance. velodyne does however have other decent subs in your budget such as the VRP series unless you are interested in massive bass. go for hsu or svs both have pretty good products.

Username: Silas92

Post Number: 10
Dude just buy a jbl 10 inch sub!!! they sound great and u can get 1 for $200 to $300

Gold Member
Username: Thx_3417

Post Number: 1394
If you what a real subwoofer, I'm talking about the real McCoy, the JBL range is so very efficient in dynamic range handling, and have all been approved for Lucasfilm THX professional cinema installations.

Upload

I use one my self, the JBL 4645, also in the range is the JBL 4645-B and JBL 4645-C.

So just have a browse around this site based hear in the United Kingdom, it's called (Feature Projections).

Feature Projections main page
http://www.fproj.com/about.htm

Feature Projections stage loudspeakers sub bass units surround loudspeakers and more.
http://www.fproj.com/used/speakers.htm

Silver Member
Username: Twebbz

Oakland Park, Florida USA

Post Number: 388
Seems to me that the the subwoofers that are higher priced and being touted as musical are front firing.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2995
Not really. REL, Vandersteen, Era, to name just a few whose classic products are down firing. The small Tannoy subs which represent quite a value are downfiring. I'll not own a front firing sub again.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 939
Art, ML has a new down firing sub that just came out called the Abyss. It can also be configured for front firing as well, just like the Dynamo.

The abyss is a little larger. I believe it uses a 12 inch driver.

Silver Member
Username: Twebbz

Oakland Park, Florida USA

Post Number: 389
Art...Can you please elaborate on your displeasure with downward firing subs. Thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2999
"I'll not own a front firing sub again."

I like downfiring subs that's why I own one.

http://www.signalpathint.com/framesetEra.htm

Bronze Member
Username: Dscrobe

Reading, PA USA

Post Number: 13
Christopher Lee, you mentioned about the Velodyne VX-10. I just returned it. When I first tried it, it had a decent punch to it. There was less definition than what I wanted. Recently, something crapped out and I had to turn the volume control up much more than before and there was more distortion. How about Polk?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3794
> what are the pros and cons of down firing subs and front firing?? i am about to make a ported enclosure for a sub. also, where should i put the port?

I've heard some people say that a front-firing sub is better if you live in an apartment with neighbors below you, and can also offer more placement options (having the woofer point at you, away from you, at various angles to a wall, etc.) but this is just anecdotal...have never seen any kind of systematic testing done on this question, not even by non-professionals.

Silver Member
Username: Matt12490

Benicia, California USA

Post Number: 667
it seems like home audio subwoofer are much much more expensive for a pretty decent sub. in car audio with $250 you can get a good sub. can you get something good with that much in home audio??

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 972
not really. it would be because in car audio you are mainly buying the woofer itself. in home audio you are buying the woofer, the amp and the enclosure all at once. im sure if you buy a $250 sub you want a nice amp in car audio and even if you build the box yourself the expense will still be a bit high. also, in home audio box resonance is something that has a lot of attention when you start getting to good sub companies and higher priced ones. many times subs and amps are codeveloped by the company so you also have to pay for that research.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 974
daniel, polk would serve you worse than the VX-10. Velodyne is one of the top sub companies in home audio with a pretty good reputation. i would say go no lower than the DSP line for a good sub, but that also means dishing out like $400 which not all people are willing to do. but with that budget you also open up SVS, Hsu and the Outlaw sub all at about that price range with similar wattage amps and similar bass extensions. when shopping for subs, stick with companies that make subs. wouldnt want to buy a camera made by ford would ya?

Bronze Member
Username: Cptmorgan89

Post Number: 31
I just bought the JBL S120PII, So far its been a very good sub. Ive had it for 2 days so its still getting broken in, but in those two days i can already notice a BIG difference. With a 12" driver and 400 watt amplifier you cant go wrong at $320 shipped. It sounds great with music and movies. Just my two cents.

Nick

Username: 008

Post Number: 7
Chris, how about the HSU 8" STF-1 compare to Velodyne 10" DSP-10? I can actually the the DSP10 at same or lower price than the STF-1.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
Okay, guys. I think I finally have my budget finalized and stabilized. I am not spending any more than $400 on a subwoofer, and I know that a lot of you may go ape on me for saying this, but I prefer to avoid INternet-direct brands because number one, my parents do not trust them, and number two, if I did buy from them and found out that I did not like their subs, then I would have to end up boxing the darn thing up, and that would be a pain in the neck for me. Sorry if I burst any bubbles here.

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1608
It's your money. I think there are enough positive experiences here to deal with reason number one. Number is a real issue.

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1609
Number "two" is a real issue.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4223
Here you go Matt:

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/549999992

Find a local dealer for that sub so you can hear it first. Then, buy one from Vanns.com and if you still need more bass, buy a second one. Two of them should be plenty for most college rooms.

Bronze Member
Username: Navadel

Post Number: 11
I just upgraded to the HSU VTF-3 MK 2 and all I can say is I wish I did it earlier, I live in So Cal so I just drove 50 miles and saved the shipping cost as well as paid cash as to avoid the taxes.. Very nice experience with the people at HSU and a very nice sub... LOUD and LOW

Username: Zenmasterbrian

Post Number: 1
What very large subwoofers, bigger than 18" are available. I'm talking about a raw driver that could be used to build a built in subwoofer. I'm thinking about something which would have a very low free space resonance, good for low octave organ music, even subsonics??

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 3037
Adair make such drivers, but they are Car Audio app's .

Post Number: 4
What is their web address? How big are they? How much do they cost? What is the lowest frequency they can go to? Any reason they couldn't be used for home audio subwoofers?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3050
And I thought Brian Jones was dead.
Lots of questions, Brian.
How did Google work for you?
Try car subs for links?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3051
Are you looking for the speaker from the opening scene from 'back to the future?'

Post Number: 9
Years back I heard rumors of Clarion selling a 32" subwoofer. Back then I called Clarion and someone told me they had sold a few of such, for car audio competitions.

They said that they had 32" and 60". They said that they were not listed anywhere in their publications, and that they were actually made by Mitsubishi.

I let it go there.

I have no interest in subwoofers in cars. Cars are tin cans. The car body is totally transparent to low frequency sound. Its the last place for a nice sound system.

When driving a car there are more important things to pay attention to.

Recently I have used google. I can't find anything about Clarion or Mitsubishi.

But I have found some very limited mentions of 24", 32" and a 60" subwoofer driver. The mentions are limited.

What I really want is a very very low free space resonance, the lowest frequency it could possibly go to.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us