Sony HT-DDW870 Home Theater System

Username: Cmagrum

Post Number: 1
Hey guys, any help would be appreciated. I'm looking at finding a receiver (without any sort of players), and a 6.1 or 5.1 system for $300 or less total (Shipping included.) I've got my eye on this one from B&H, as I've always been satisfied with Sony electronics. Just not sure about their speakers:

www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=367893&i s=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

If you know of any other good quality systems like this one to compare to (reliable, good sound quality), I'd appreciate it!

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3636
if you have to do HTIB, you can get an Onkyo HTIB for that price which would be a notch or two better than Sony. Or even a Yamaha HTIB.

If you can stretch your budget to say $700 you can get a far better component receiver/speakers/sub combo.

Post Number: 2
Never thought about Onkyo...saw them in Radio Shack and figured it to be a "cheapie" brand not worth my time. Yamaha...not a fan of at all. And unfortunately, stretching the budget just isn't feasible right now.

I actually just got back from a friend's house who has the Sony HTIB one step below the one I listed, and I was satisfied with even that set up/sound...so I'm sure I'll be fine with this one now...

Thanks again!

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3638
You're welcome.

just want to add that Onkyo is definitely actually above Sony in the low-fi world. Sony's audiophile ES line is good but overpriced, their digital cameras/camcorders are decent and their TVs are still at or near the top. But their mass-market home and car audio is mediocre at best, relying on the big "Sony" name and pretty-looking designs to pull in the average Joes. Like Onkyo the best thing they have going for them is ease of use and well-written manuals.

Don't take my word for it, ask around on other audio forums too: hometheaterforum.com and AVSForum.com

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1442
You want to spend 300 bucks, but thought Onkyo would be 'cheapie' and beneath you?

Sheesh.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 6342
Watch the subtleties Nuck! lol

Post Number: 3
Call me a newbie guy, but go easy on me. Like I said, I saw Onkyo in Radio Shack, and assumed. Tsk tsk on me. ;)

Ok, so now I'm checking out the Onkyo HT-S580. Looks like a decent system, and users are giving it fairly good reviews for a budget system... Hm. Decisions decisions.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1444
Ok, sorry, the Onkyo has a lot of features, and that is a good thing.
If they work with a dvd player, TBD.
However, the base unit seems viable, although a better speaker set-up would be better(of course).

I might check out the Onkyo, check the back panel for in and out's sometimes the manual does not match the componant.

A set of Athena speakers would make a world of difference, too, but one step at a time.

Cheers!

Berny, you suck as a Mom.
No fun.
Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 793
Craig I would not even be as generous to Sony as Edster has been. Their business practice has put too much emphasis on their movie and music industries at the detrement to and sometimes direct conflict with their technology divisions. It really has shown in their product quality the past 10-15 years.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us