Confused on ohms

Jazzfan
Unregistered guest
Why are so many of the better quality speakers rated at 4 ohms? Is it done to somehow work better with the better quality, higher power amps?

Q2
Unregistered guest
I've often wondered the same thing.

Anyone

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7630

The question has been raised before on this forum. Research the archives for your answer.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1421
So you will use better quality amplification to drive them.

Silver Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 782
If you want to change the impedance of a driver you change the gauge of wire used for the voice coil. Thicker wire = lower impedance. Using thicker wire also decreases the efficiency of the driver, however, lowing the impedance allows more current to flow so you can get more power into the driver. If you want your speaker to have more impact than your neighbors the easy way is to lower the impedance. It's always good to remember that impedance is frequency dependant and also dependant on the quality of the driver and crossover design. A poorly designed "8 ohm" system may actually have dips below 4 ohms where a "4 ohm" system may never dip below 4. Most systems are 8 ohms because it is a good "middle ground" for providing a good stable load for most amplifiers and a good compromise for keeping the most copper in the gap of the motor. As a general rule, the more copper that stays in the gap the better.

Silver Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 783
I'm sorry, I should've said "most DRIVERS are 8 ohms because it is a good middle ground".
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us