Wife Says Paradigm Studio20 Too Big, What To Do ?

Eric S
Unregistered guest
Could get rid of wife. Looking for speaker system for stereo listening. Maybe I need to look a matched pair of smaller speakers w/ a sub. Price range around $700.

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 643
what is it about them that she finds too big?

Eric S
Unregistered guest
The main problem is that they are too deep, but also, overall they are a little too big for her liking. Its killing me. They are sitting there in my living room crying for a permanent home. I'm heartbroken.

Silver Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 451
Is a divorce out of the question?

BIll Hargrave
Unregistered guest
Ascend Acoustics 170SE. Better speaker at half the price.

BIll Hargrave
Unregistered guest
Oops, those aren't much different in size.

If she likes music bring home the crappiest sounding small speakers you can find and let her listen to the difference with her favorite CD. Then tell her that the laws of physics are such that it is not possible to equal to quality of sound with a smaller speaker. If you are really devious change the bass and treble setting for the smaller speakers. You could even wire them out of phase. Good luck!

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 779
Divorce may be too expensive. I'll give you a couple of hundred for the speakers.

Eric S
Unregistered guest
A divorce is never out of the question !

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 780
Oh no divorce is out of the question, sell me the Paradigms for $200 (waving hands, Jedi mind trick)

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 647
I would suggest the Onix reference .5 with a subwoofer. These speakers are $300 a pair from www.av123.com and are a step above the rocket line.

here is the link.

http://www.av123.com/products_product.php?section=speakers&product=80.1

here is another option from av123, the x-ls bookshelf speaker

http://www.av123.com/products_product.php?section=speakers&product=82.1

Silver Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 824
Eric,

Depends on whether you're a bass guy or prefer sharp highs and smooth mids. If small and pretty is what she wants, I'd bring home the Boston Acoustic VR 50s or 60s - I don't think they're as good as the Ascend CBM 170s or 170SEs or Tim's Emmas but they are small, sound really good and they look very pretty. IMHO (But, you've blown about $500-$700 and you still need a sub for bass heavy music) Dave.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2790
"Oops, those aren't much different in size."

And it ain't half as good!

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1414
hehe

BIll Hargrave
Unregistered guest
"And it ain't half as good!"

Come on the Studio 20s aren't that bad! If you like a mid-bass bump that gives the perception of more bass than they really have those Paradigms may even be a good choice.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2794
You missed the point Bill. I have the Studio 20's and believe they are far superior to the Ascends.

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1477
Art,

I'm pretty sure he knew what you meant.

Silver Member

Post Number: 828
Now in fairness, I've actually heard the Ascends, Studio 40s and 60s and 100s and the BAs.

Art refuses to listen to the Ascends or accept that they're a pretty dang good speaker for the money, better than the BAs at half the price.

Now, I will say this, I thought the Paradigms had better bass, a better soundstage and a fairly "warm" sound compared to the Ascends but not necessarily a better treble and midrange, just warmer.

So, pick your poison. Or do your own A/B. Pick up a pair of Studio 20s with a return option and order the Ascends and perform a straight A/B test, although I suspect your wife would prefer the BAs because of their smaller size and then she'll make you "hide" the sub.

Good luck, Dave

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1436
Eric, looks like the old tradeoff scenario.
Tradeoff something already good for household peace.
Lots of good ideas bantied about here, but between the Ascends(ugly but sound good) and the BA's(nice, but small), and the Studios(just right), dude ya just can't win.
Bite the bullet and make the Mrs.Eric happy.
Next choice belongs to you!
(leather easy chair perhaps?)

Bronze Member
Username: Eld

Texas

Post Number: 51
In walls? :-)

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1437
Well done, Eld.
In wall/ceiling speakers?
And a nice little sub?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2806
"Art refuses to listen to the Ascends or accept that they're a pretty dang good speaker for the money, better than the BAs at half the price."

David, I'm surprised you would say that when you really have no idea. I have listened to them just as I said I would (the 170's). I didn't buy them, I listened to them at a new friends house in Portland. I borrowed them to listen to in my system (pre tubes). They aren't a bad speaker they are just over hyped like a lot of supposed giant killer products.

I've also been asked by the an executive at Aperion to tour their facilities and give their latest products a critical listen. I will be doing that just as soon as my life settles down. Right now I'm confined to my master bedroom and the bathroom while my home is remodeled.

Now I'm listening to my Cambridge CD740.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 678
FINALLY!!!!

someone else that owns one of those!

I have the soundworks 730, and am constantly amazed at how good it sounds for the price and size.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2807
I have 2 Gavin. One in my bedroom and another in the dining room. We really like them.

Eric S
Unregistered guest
In-walls or in-ceilings are a possibility, but the wires are not in the walls and I'm on the second floor, so coming up from the basement isn't an option. ????

Stirling Cummings
Unregistered guest
"Now, I will say this, I thought the Paradigms had better bass, a better soundstage and a fairly "warm" sound compared to the Ascends but not necessarily a better treble and midrange, just warmer."

The bass perception and warmth can be attributed to the mid-bass bump previously mentioned. The original Studio 20s had a very strong mid-bass bump. While it is still there in the present version it isn't as strong as it used to be. The independent measurements of the Studio 20s I have seen fall short of the published specs. Stereophile measured the original ones and I cannot remember who measured latter versions.

Many speaker companies bump up the mid-bass from around 70Hz to 150Hz as it is very pleasing to the ear and is perceived as more bass instead of stronger mid-bass. If you have heard the new NHT 2 classics, NHT eschewed thier known accuracy and have resorted to this age old voicing to increase their sales.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2816
http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/paradigm_studio20_v3.htm

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue22/paradigm_studio_20v3.htm

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_12_2/paradigm-reference-20-470-speakers-5- 2005.html

http://www.audioenz.co.nz/2005/paradigm_studio20v3.shtml

http://www.audioreview.com/cat/audioreview/speakers/bookshelf-speakers/par adigm-reference/PRD_298867_4290crx.aspx

Stirling Cummings
Unregistered guest
Soundstage is the only one of those that actually measured them. Soundstage's measurements are short of Paradigm's published specs and show a raised mid-bass.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2817
And I believe their conclusions with the Studio 20v3 were quite positive.

"Great sound, little money -- the Studio 20 v.3 is the kind of inexpensive loudspeaker by which you can judge pricier competition."

I also believe that both the Studio 20v2 and v3 have been Stereophile recommended products.

Ofcourse none of this matters, all that matters is the sound and the 20's just sound good. Of course it is always a matter of personal taste. Measurements have never done anything for me as the only instrument I value for measurement is my ears. I use my ears to compare speakers against my reference, live unamplified music. For me the Studio 20's do a good job of bringing the live experience home.

Silver Member

Post Number: 829
Art,

My most humblest apologies, I meant no ill intent. But, the fact that you have listened to the 170s is news to me. In all of your back and forths with Ed, you never indicated that you had listened to the Ascends.

So, I withdraw my critique but I would like your thoughts on what you heard and whether you liked them or didn't and why.

"They aren't a bad speaker they are just over hyped like a lot of supposed giant killer products."

$328/pair is hardly in the "giant killer" price range nor should they be expected to be giant killers in that price range, and I have never suggested they're giant killers, but in terms of bang for the buck and especially in a HT setting, it's hard to argue with the quality you get at their price point, IMHO. (BTW, the BAs and Studio 20s are twice that price even with shipping so it's not really even an apples to apples comparison, the Ascend 340s are closer to both of these speakers price point.)

Anonymous

then explain why soundstage referred the 170's to be giant killers.

I believe, and I qoute, the review had a phrase in it that read something like:

"these speakers are some of the giant killers you read about"

Eric S
Unregistered guest
Hey - my post got hi-jacked and turned into a pissing match. I still need help. The Studio 20's go back to the store tomorrow, reluctantly. I'm exploring in-wall and in-ceiling speakers, but wall placement is contrained by windows, and I don't have wires at the right places in the cathedral ceiling. I did run some wires for surrounds up into the ceiling, but they aren't in the ideal spots for mains. What about small main speakers and a sub.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2818
No one is pissing Eric. Get a hold of yourself. Lots of folks have tried to assist you.

Hi David, I listened to them the week before my Father passed. I guess it would be the second week of January. I'm about to lose the computer for a couple of days starting tomorrow evening. My home remodel is underway. Send me an email and we'll discuss the Ascends. They reminded a bit of my old NHT Super Ones.

Eric have you thought about Anthony Gallo Speakers. They are very good speakers and may fit the bill for size.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3650
Eric S.,

Here are some more subjective speaker opinions and comparisons, which include several of the speakers discussed on this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=647862&page=1&pp=30

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 705
if you are in the market for in walls, be sure to check out the MartinLogan line of in wall speakers. I have NOT heard better sound from an in wall speaker. These speakers rival their floorstanders for accuracy and clarity.

www.martinlogan.com

the speakers are called the Voyage, Passage, and Ticket.

Bronze Member
Username: Eld

Texas

Post Number: 53
Eric S.

For mini main speakers:

Check out Dynaudio Audience42 with your wife and see if she likes it. It's a little smaller than the Studio20. Like Edster's link said, these babies really are worth a listen.

For the same size and a lot cheaper is B&W DM600 S3, worth an audition.

I would check out Epos ELS3 mini monitor as well.

Hope that gives a few options for speakers that are smaller than the Studio20 and more wife friendly.

Good Luck.

Silver Member

Post Number: 830
Art,

I'll email and look forward to hearing yout thoughts. THanks.

Anon, yeah, your mother wears army boots. LOL Join the club or be ignored. I guess that's an oxymoron because I didn't ignore ya, right?

Eric S. - Don't forget to look at Paradigm's in-walls if you liked the sound. Go to http://www.paradigm.com/Website/SiteParadigmProduct/ParadigmProduct.html and take a look at "hidden agenda" and you might find what you're looking for. Now, quit whinin' about not getting any help. Just kiddin' ya. LOL

Don't forget to look at Paradigm's in-walls if you liked the sound. Go to

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2824
Look forward to hearing from you Dave. I'll be taking the computer offline in a couple of hrs and it won't go back up until thursday or friday.

Eric, Here is a link to the Gallo site.

http://www.anthonygallo.co.uk/

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 976
www.orbaudio.com

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 837
Dynaudio Audience 42s! ! ! ! They are less than half the size of the Studio 20s and they sound better! If you want to mount them directly to the wall, get the 42Ws, which are only 7 inches deep and mount to the wall with a single screw (keyhole type mount).

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 838
One more thing--the Dyns will not require a sub as they go low enough on their own. They are not like a mini speaker which has no appreciable bass.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us