Help me pick a receiver

Username: Albob

Post Number: 1
I just bought speakers--bought the axiom grand master theater set. Now i need a receiver. I'm struggling to decide which one to go with. I'll go over the ones I'm thinking. I'm really a first-timer to home theater, home stereo world. No super fancy TV to deal with, mainly just want great sound and usability.
I'm looking to spend somewhere btwn 500 and 1000. Would spend 1000 if it got me something great. On the other hand, like everyone, would like to spend less. I spent 2k on speakers... and want to get what i paid for there--don't want to be cheap on a receiver and end up not getting what i want from the speakers.
One thing I want is a phono input. Alternatively, could buy a phono preamp, but that would add some cost and be sorta annoying.
Main ones I'm considering:
Denon AVR-886 --found a good price on it, has a phono input. seems like a good value and probably has most of what i'm looking for.
Harmon Kardon 635--probably a step up sound-wise from AVR-886....but i found a good price. no phono input, probably a bit more of a pain to set up.
Finally, i had considered the Outlaw 1070. This is a bit more than i wanted to pay--$900. Plus I'd have to buy a phono preamp.

So make a recommendation, be it one of these or others. I could spend some time shopping/listening, but it seems like a lot of the decision is about usability. Is it worth spending a few hundred more or will that just get me a small return and best to go with something more affordable in the same general pricerange?
Any advice appreciated.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3624
With Axioms, I would seriously consider a Marantz receiver.

Authorized online dealers: hifi.com for brand new stuff, accessories4less.com for both brand new and refurb.

HK would be a close second.

Another option is to get a cheap AVR like a Pioneer 1015 or Yamaha 657 or Marantz 4500 and add an integrated 2-channel amp like a NAD c372 for 2-channel music listening.

Since I haven't touched an LP in over 10 years I wouldn't have a clue as to which of these models have phono inputs though, you'll have to do some research on that.

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 778
I would agree with that choice, however at least my Marantz 8400 does not have a phono input so you may look for a model that does or else go with a phono pre-amp.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us