Do I need a New Amp?

Bronze Member
Username: Awafaehame

Post Number: 14
Guys and galls, for the second time, I have come onto this forum for help, last time I got some excellent advice, hence the reason I am back!!
My mate has a Pioneer VSX-D711 Integrated Amp with a Pioneer DVD player DV656A through it. It is powering 2 off Infinity Alpha 20 speakers (8 ohms), 1 off Infinity Alpha Centre Speaker (8 Ohms) and 2 off JBL S412PBE speakers (8 ohms).
It was initially wired up as a 5.1 system but the distortion was really bad at decent volume levels. When it got turned up louder, the amp displayed the word "OVERLOAD" and switched off.
I then disconnected the centre speaker and wired up speakers A and B with the other four speakers. This allowed more volume and a lot less distortion, but when I got quite loud (more then before), again it overloaded the amp and switched off.
Excuse my complete ignorance here but is it just because the amp does not have enough power?

Thanks guys.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Any ideas guys?

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7599

It's probably due to the speakers not having enough sensivity. That is where you get volume if that is your primary goal. Is the amplifier still under warranty?

Bronze Member
Username: Harrypalmer

Bellevue, WA

Post Number: 18
Buy a amp that better matches your speakers

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
Jan, no the amp is no longer under warranty. Harry, what amp would you suggest to get? I apologise for my ignorance on here, but you guys have helped me before, and i am lost here with this one. Does the amp need to have more power or what?
Thanks.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Does anyone have any new ideas for me on this? Is it due to the amp being under powered?

Thanks again for your help.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1053
From what you're saying, I think so. The amp is working too hard to get to the sound level you want it to go, and instead of blowing up, it shuts itself down.

An amp should be playing at a level where distortion isn't audible. Distortion is what ruins a speaker. Most people think over powering a speaker causes it to blow, but this very rarely happens. When an amp is underpowered for the speaker applictaion, the amp "clips," or distorts the signal being sent out.

If I'm correct, the solution is either an amplifier with more power, speakers with a higher sensitivity (effeciency) rating, or both.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1276
Yup!

Bronze Member
Username: Daniel_canada

Canada

Post Number: 24
Yup! x 2

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
Thanks very much for your responses guys. It really is appreciated.
By the way, some of you might remember my first post with regards to my own equipment, I ended up with the Rotel and B&W set up, and it is still sounding superb, so thanks for all the great advice I have ever received on here.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us