Stereo receivers

Silver Member
Username: Scubasteve

College Park, MD

Post Number: 917
I'm starting to look for a stereo receiver that will give me around 100 watts per channel. It will be primarly used for music and I'm looking to spend $400-800. So far I've taken a look at Rotel RX-1052, what else should I consider?

Username: Avguy911

Post Number: 2
Onkyo....I have the Onkyo TXSR703 and I love it, I am about to upgrade to the 803 with an HDMI interface. Powerful 105 watts per channel. Look into the 703 or 803.

just trying
Unregistered guest
You just have to listen yourself that's my best advice. You'll end up pissed if you take someone else's recommends without listening 1st!! Trust me on this. One mans garbage is one mans treasure, and vice versa.

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 834
The new Outlaw Audio RR2150 @ $599 is excellent. It is the only stereo receiver that has bass management for a subwoofer. It is 2 x 100 watts @ 8 ohms and 2 x 160 watts @ 4 ohms. It also has a USB port for streaming music from a computer or other USB compatible devices and a mini-jack on the front for playing MP3 or IPOD. Has a headphone jack with separate level control and both mm and mc phono inputs. Connections for cd and dvd are done by RCA analog cables. Plus it has great retro styling.

Silver Member
Username: Ziggyzoggyoioi

Outside Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 240
I'll second the nomination for Outlaw RR2150, but will also point out that's it backordered at the moment. You'd have to ask the Outlaws when they expect to have more units ready to ship.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 6189
My vote goes to the Outlaw as well.

Anonymous

this is a little controversial subject around here, but who cares. We replaced some Parasound separates with a $250 Panasonic xr55 and very very pleasantly surprised. I'm sure the Outlaw excellent too of course.

Tina James
Unregistered guest
sorry, that was me above.

Username: Tina_james

Post Number: 1
ok. I registered, no more oopsies.

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 938
I haven't heard any Outlaw gear, but I've heard many times that they make a very good product. You've heard the Rotel, other companies that make good 2 channel receivers are -

NAD
Marantz
Harman/Kardon

I can't remember the model numbers or prices, but they all should fall within your budget. NAD's 2 channel receivers don't have the same reported problems that their multichannel receivers have. Personally, I like the NAD the best, but the others are also very good.
If you like accurate sound that doesn't leave your ears ringing for days, stay away from the Panasonic. With the exception of $50 Soundesign type stuff, it could honestly be the worst sounding piece of audio gear I've ever heard.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1395
A 'ringing' endorsement for anything else, eh, Stu?

Outlaw.

John Wagner
Unregistered guest
These Panasonic xr55 receivers are the real deal! I'm going to wait a few years to see just how good they can make these receivers sound!

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1397
Slap on some foil, roll 'em in lube and hooooo...mama.
A one man party.

With stag films.

Post Number: 2
It's interesting how the least moderated and least popular audio forum on the Internet just happens to be the most (and only) anti-Panasonic one.
Scuba Steve, I recommend you ask around elsewhere to get a complete picture of the Panasonic.

John Wagner
Unregistered guest
Here's more on the Panasonic xr55 receiver http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=530504 Look over on Audio Asylum forum too.

Anonymous

Why do you feel the need for 100 watts. NAD's C720BEE will drive most price comparable speakers with it's 50 amps of peak current capability.

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/products/new/117829.html

http://www.audioreview.com/cat/audioreview/amplification/receivers/nad/PRD _339204_1593crx.aspx

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1398
It's interesting how the least moderated and least popular audio forum on the Internet just happens to be where you are now, suggesting someone go somewhere else to look for information.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2782
Whoever Tina is, this forum is the most anti Panasonic because we went out and listened to it with our experienced ears and not with an ear for gadgets. The Panny's sound is horrible but if you like it, buy it and hook up your Bose Acoustimass system. I'm sure you'll be in audio nirvana.

Steve - the Rotel is an excellent sounding reciever. I used to have one in my bedroom. If I were in the market for a stereo reciver in your price range I would look into the Outlaw. Very functional design, lots of high current power, and it even has a phono section. Hard to beat at $599.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6222
Because no one buys into his audio proselytizing. Electric cream and foil and all that:-)

Post Number: 3
Well I can see why this is the least popular forum on the Internet: it seems to be dominated by a tiny little clique of pretentious, narrow minded and obnoxious little snobs.

Nuck, the only reason I will stick around as long as I can because I pity the folks who come here thinking they will learn much from your treehouse banter.

Silver Member

College Park, MD

Post Number: 918
thanks for all the guys, I'm off to do some more listening :-) I wasn't aware of that Outlaw receiver, definately worth consideration. Just curious, anyone know how you could get your computer to output audio through USB? Right now that will be my main source.

Silver Member

College Park, MD

Post Number: 919
*thanks for all the help

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 628
steve,

take a look at the following as well:

Pioneer Elite A-35r intergrated (fabulous)
Cambridge Audio
Adcom (absolutly STUNNING)
B&K

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1399
Thanks, Tina.

Sticking around to cast pity sounds rather like what the tzars did in Russia.

Success there, too.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2784
"Well I can see why this is the least popular forum on the Internet: it seems to be dominated by a tiny little clique of pretentious, narrow minded and obnoxious little snobs."

Who's pretentious?!

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1401
Who be callin' my snob little!?

Oh...snob.

Never mind.

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1402
Tina, it's unpopular beacuse you werent here.
It's wayyyy better now, watch the ads start now!

You could be Harry Palmer, JI or Bleeder for all I care.
It's 'unpopular' because we liked it better when all of you weren't here.

Type of thing.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6229
Nuck, I think she' gone...

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 638
now that the flame war is done...

steve,

take a look at the following as well:

Pioneer Elite A-35r intergrated (fabulous)
Cambridge Audio
Adcom (absolutly STUNNING)
B&K

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3623
Tina,

Oh dear oh dear, where were YOU months ago when these Pannys Envy Club boys were hot on my heels? It's too late...The Evil Overpriced Analog Empire has gained the uppper hand around here!

ROTFL...

Knock 'em dead, girl!

Bronze Member
Username: Darth

The woodlands

Post Number: 46
The Evil Overpriced Analog Empire has gained the uppper hand around here!

says the man with no ear and a big mouth ! lol

John Wagner
Unregistered guest
Adcom GFR-700 A/V Receiver, AMAZING!!! The best that I have heard from a A/V receiver!

just trying
Unregistered guest
Edster I think you have Vader on a leash; where ever you are he is never far behind LOL.

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 951
"I'm starting to look for a stereo receiver... $400-800" -OP

Why all the A/V receiver suggestions? Why all the suggestions that are way above this range?

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1404
And below?

I believe that the Outlaw 2150 was put forward by Gavin, the rest is hyperbole, extraneous and counterproductive.

just trying
Unregistered guest
edster,
On the other and I can see Vader's point, after all you do tend to exaggerate, no offense.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 653
I threw in B&K and Adcom for comparisons sake, because many people have never heard what a high end reciever can do, True, they are more than the budget, but it is an eye opening experience.

Just because they are A/V recievers does NOT mean that they are not outstanding in terms of audio reproduction.

and I also threw in an inexpensive intergrated from pioneer elite that has wiped the floor with the recievers in this price range (and more) in my experience, with the exception handed to possibly the outlaw audio, which I have no experience with.

So, I don't see how it was counterproductive.

gavin

Gold Member

Post Number: 3626
> Edster I think you have Vader on a leash; where ever you are he is never far behind LOL.

LOL yes, Vader is like my little shadow isn't he?

Or maybe a tail...I use him to cover my little pucker! LOL

Gold Member

Post Number: 3627
> after all you do tend to exaggerate, no offense.

ok, sometimes I do... I confess!!!

Username: Raymer

Post Number: 5
Lol, I didn't write that second bit about you exaggerating...I bet we can guess who it was though....haha

Gold Member

Post Number: 3632
scuba steve,

this might also be worth trying out, though I have not heard it myself:

http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/productdetail.asp?sku=MARAPM7200&product_name= PM7200%20Integrated%20Amplifier%20-%20Black

The part about the first 25 watts being in "pure class A" intrigues me...not sure if this is just a gimmick or what.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3633
Good you've registered, then!

Confirms my longstanding belief that "Vader" is the same "anonymous" poster who's on various occasions followed Jan around and has often impersonated various users around here, one of his most infamous being "Alfonso" and also the same person who went on a spree of posting a bunch of color photos of leprous genitalia several months ago.

Oh well, better that a sociopath like that is getting his jollies being a jerk around here than for instance going out and buggering little kids or something like that.

Username: Raymer

Post Number: 9
Yeap, finally registered. I don't know much of Vader but he does seem to pop up where ever you go. But, I'm new so I don't wanna start any trouble with anybody. Ok back to topic, sorry for the derail OP.

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1425
and THESE are the days of our lives?
OY!

Bronze Member

The woodlands

Post Number: 47
Confirms my longstanding belief that "Vader" is the same "anonymous" poster who's on various occasions followed Jan around and has often impersonated various users around here, one of his most infamous being "Alfonso" and also the same person who went on a spree of posting a bunch of color photos of leprous genitalia several months ago.

Amazing how you can assure something like this when you know that it is just impossible for you to now the truth, that just shows the kind of person you are. Very laughable....Plain ridiculous

Bronze Member

The woodlands

Post Number: 48
Scuba Steve,

"Just trying" is right on the money, best thing to do is try to audition and make your decision based on your musical tastes.

In addition to the Rotel I would suggest the NAD 720 BEE, NAD 740C, HK 3480 and Denon DRA 685.

Sorry if I missed it, did you mention what speakers will you be using for your set up?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3635
LOL Vader, it just shows how distinctively pathological you are...see, there aren't too many sickos like you around (thank God), which is why you're very easy to spot when you crawl out from under your rock. Plus you have totally predictable posting habits, zero originality, and are much too thick to cover your tracks competently. Sorry my boy, you're just a laughably easy nut to crack.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6302
Edster,
Is this a wise course of action? He might "find your lack of faith...disturbing!"
LOL

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1430
Damn the torpedoes!
Full Steam ahead!

Gold Member

Post Number: 6306
What movie line is that from???

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1432
Nuck Drinks Beer 2006.
Was it used before?
I'll sue!

Damn the Torpedoes is Tom Petty c1979)?)

Gold Member

Post Number: 6307
I think you've used that before.

I like Tom Petty, he reminds me of Bob Dylan singing in tune.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6308
aha...I knew I read that quote before...some museum in Alabama

http://www.military.com/Content/MoreContent?file=ML_farragut_bkp

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1435
Quick link, Bernie.
Yeak, Petty is like Dylan sober.
Although 'The travelling Willbury's' have them together in dizzying dilerium.
Damn, I love that first one.
And the second.

John Wagner
Unregistered guest
Put the Denon 2807 on your list too! A friend of mine owns a stereo shop and he told me to just wait until the Denon 2807 comes out on the market in late March. And I was set on getting the Adcom GFR 700 A/V Receiver! I can't wait to hear this new Denon 2807!!

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 842
The new Denon AVR 2807 looks like a great surround av receiver, even better than the more expensive avr3806. But if a person just wants a stereo receiver or integrated amp it is silly to pay more for extra channels of amplification and features that you will never use.

Unregistered guest
I'm looking for a receiver to power a 5.1 surround system with A/B speaker switch to power an additional set of outdoor speakers....would love to have Denon/Yamaha?Pioneer....any suggestions to what will do this for me? Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Twebbz

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 357
Steve...I have the Rotel RX-1052 and it sounds great...neutral compared to my warm NAD integrated amp. It's designed for zone use where you would want to pre-amp to other amplifiers in up to four rooms. Other than that, there are not too many other bells and whistles. I do think it's over priced and unless you are stuck on it's sound or it's features you could find something to your liking elsewhere. An integrated amp with separate tuner
is an option that you should explore too.

Bronze Member
Username: Stevizard

Indianapolis, Indiana USA

Post Number: 24
Hi Scuba Steve,

Well, you sure started the hornet's nest buzzing. You asked a simple question and got a not so simple answer. There simply isn't an easy answer. However, I'm going to swallow the bait and make a suggestion, too. Take a look at the following link and see if it isn't in line with what you're searching for . . .

http://www.sherwoodusa.com/prod_r756.html

Upload
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us