Center Speaker???

Username: Zany

Post Number: 1
I sold my old surround sound, reciever and all and i'm starting over. I just bought a new amp earlier this week and i will be buying new speaker hopefull this weekend. I'm buying all the speakers seperately, not in a pack. So i was wondering can you use a surround speaker as a center speaker? Also wanted some advice on what brand speaker i should go with right now i'm looking at yamaha.
Im also looking for some good floor standing front right and left speakers?

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 6123
Has anybody told you that you can't use surround speakers for center channel duty? You can use any speaker for a center channel, some better than others and of course if your receiver or amp can drive them.

What is your budget? What is available to you in your area?

Try to look at speakers that are made specifically by speaker manufacturers and not by giants who also happen to be making speakers. This is what they do and this is what they concentrate on.

Username: Jarrod_w

Post Number: 9
one question along the same train of thought, I am looking at getting a centre channel speaker as well and am on kind of a tight budget. Have found a 2nd- hand Krix centre which i can get dead cheap, is it worth it?

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 6144
If you are asking me, I can't tell you. Haven't heard Krix at all.

(But, isn't that for kids?):-)

Silver Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 834
You would be best to closely match the speakers as much as possible. Centre channel speakers are designed for space constraints - if you can have three towers across the front this would sound great, most systems have no space for a bookshelf/tower so they have to get what fits.

Jarrod - what good would a dead speaker do? Kidding, look at the materials used in the Krix speaker vs. what other spakers you have. I would avoid using aluminum tweeters with silk ones, etc.

Username: Zany

Post Number: 2
My budget is about $700 for the speakers. I'm in college so i cant speand too much. I'm not sure what really avilable in my area. I live in Tampa, FL and all there really is is best buy, circuit city and sound advice. Any help would be appreciated.

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 617
hmmmm

Intimus 422/S-8 Compact Home Theater System from Aperion Audio...

$800 for mains, surrounds, and subwoofer. Free shipping, and if you decide to return it, free shipping back.

http://www.aperionaudio.com/products/product-detail.aspx?id=122&catId=5&catName= Aperion+Speakers

Orb Audio model 1 ($750 for all speakers and sub)

http://www.orbaudio.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2

HTD Audio level two (these have been much improved... $650 for all speakers and sub)

http://www.htdaudio.com/leveltwosets.html

any other ideas for complete sets for around $700?

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 618
any of these will give you better sound than you can get at CC or BB for the same price.

I am not a huge fan of the older aperion audio speakers, but the design has been updated. I cant comment on the new series.

Orb Audio has tons of fans on this website, jsut go over to the home theatre section.

HTD used to be compared to a brand called fluance, but has changed the drivers that are used in their speakers, as well as upped the construction quality of the cabinets. Their level 3 speakers now have planar tweeters, and their towers make use of dome midrange drivers as well, so they have made many strides forward.

I have not heard these speakers, repeat, I have not heard these speakers from HTD, but with all the improvements over the older series, I wouldn't discount them.

Anonymous

Gavin and Jan are one in the same, I knew it!

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 619
i'll take that as a compliment being that Im only 22
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us