Polk Subwoofer setting question...

Bronze Member
Username: Dwclark

Arlington, Tx Usa

Post Number: 18
I own a Polk Audio PSW12 Subwoofer. It is connected to an Onkyo TXSR600 Receiver. Quite often when i have the volume turned up loud the sub will pop or crackle. the Sub has adjustments for Low-Pass Crossover, Phase Switch and Subwoofer Volume Control. I have no idea what these should be set to for optimum sound and performance. Can somebody help me?

milagro
Unregistered guest
the phase and xover settings are unlikely to make any difference. You can try to turn the sub gain (volume) down but then you probably won't hear much. Typical of a poor quality sub. Polk makes decent speakers but their subs are awful, I would eBay it and invest in a decent sub like a Hsu or SVS.

Bronze Member
Username: Praetorian

Post Number: 87
I don't know what volume control you have, but if it is any higher than the "1 o clock" setting, turn it down. My sub is a Velodyne, DSP 12-B, which is actually a funny volume control, but percentage wise I usually stick to about 40% of max vol, and it gives all the bass I need at any volume, if I am home alone watching a movie, I may move it to 50%, and that literally shakes the walls. I mean I feel it in the couch, I could almost lie down and have a massage... I have heard that Polk's subs are one of their weakest products too, but have not "auditioned" one per se, just heard them in passing at "Future Shop", so I will leave that as is.

Silver Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 837
I originally bought the PSW202 and had it start popping during a scene in Matrix Reloaded, I immediately returned it for the 404, which while problem and popping free, is far from great. For movies it's acceptable, but for music it's just not good enough. The price is right and is suitable while I have someone living below me, but I'm getting something better first chance I get.

If you want to keep the sub I'd find a scene where it pops or crackles, turn the volume for to where you would listen loudest, then adjust the volume down on the sub to where it doesn't pop or crackle.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us