First stereo

Username: Hgihkcin

Post Number: 8
im going to buy my first stereo this year and i was looking at speakers, my budget is 300 dollart total for bolth speakers, i was looking at the mtx tp212 because they are masive and they have good reviews on circuit city (i dont trust review on their, this place has more experienced people on it) and they are rather cheap, i know they wont have the worlds best sound quality but im on a budget. i was wondering if they were any good and it there were any good ones for this price range. and what would be a good amplifier for the speakers, im planing on spending 200 max on the amplifier, this system would be hooked upto my computer.

Silver Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 769
It's commendable that you at least thought about asking around before purchasing. As a commercial entity I refrain from commenting on particular brands but I'll try to provide some little bit of insight.
First off, try to educate yourself as to what "good sound" is. There are many opinions about the exact definition of that so you'll need to frame your own perspective. Do that by visiting audio stores and listening to as many speakers/systems as you can. Much of this will be out of your price range but at least you will be able to decide what things you're willing to compromise and what you're not.
"Massive" is not a criteria for "good sound".
Yes, you're working with a low budget but it's not so low that you'll be unable to get anything possessing resonable playback capability. There are actually many options in your price range if you search around a bit and are not swayed into making a hasty purchase. You may also want to consider used equipment. Just because something is a few years old doesn't make it junk. On the contrary, there are some incredible bargains out there if you know what to look for.
If you can, visit a high end audio store during a weekday, early afternoon for example, when you have a chance to catch an amiable salesperson willing to take the time to teach you something about audio. Granted, many salespeople are not willing to spend time with someone they know will not be buying anything from them, on the other hand, there are many that are passionate enough about audio they are happy to share their experience. Be patient and learn. Learn about "imaging", "soundstage" and "depth". Learn that more bass isn't the same as better bass. Learn that just because something impresses you the first time you hear it doesn't mean it will still satisfy you a year later.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7580

First - Go listen to live music. That is what you wish to replicate in your home. You must have an idea of what you are aiming at before you can hit the target. Listen as often as possible to any type of live music and figure out what makes it similar to or different from what you hear in the shops.

Second - I seldom recommend audio products on this forum. And I do not wish to be viewed a "pushing" any products. However, I am currently listening to the Autocostruire amplifier (approx $100 USD) playing through some $199 KEF'S. I have no qualms in stating this combination is providing outstanding and at times unbelievable levels of music enjoyment in my room. To hear it is not to believe the pricing. The Autocostriure amp is a bit higher priced than some of it's immediate competition and, as a first system, you would probably do well to stay with a Sonic Impact T amp and some very efficient speakers.

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/193312.html

http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/tripath_amps_e.html

http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/t-amp_e.html

There are literally thousands of combinations you can listen to in your price range. This combination of amplifier and speakers might not suit your needs, but I suspect you could do far worse for far more money than this combination will set you back.

Username: Hgihkcin

Post Number: 9
thankyou for the advice
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us