What do you guys think of Swan speakers & Onix Rocket Speakers?

Bronze Member
Username: Tdogroeder

Des Moines, IA

Post Number: 81
Swan 5.2's & rocket RS760's& RS550's.
I have not heard any of these yet, but was wondering what peoples opinions are on how they sound.
Are they bright or forward, Flat or dull or neutral?

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 6055
Neutral.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6056
You mileage may vary. Your ears can tell you better. Are planning on purchasing any of these any time soon?

Bronze Member

Des Moines, IA

Post Number: 82
Berny,
what do you mean by neutral?

I was thinking about the swans. So far I like Paradigm Monitor 7's the best out of:

Paradigm Studio 40's & 60's, To much bass in the 60's over powered the highs, the 40's were better but the great distiction between highs and lows.
B&W 600's & 700's
PSB Imiage T45's & T55's
I really like the Revel F32's but $4000 a pair is to much for me.
I liked the Energy RC-70's, but don't know if I want to spend $1500 a pair on just 2 spakers right now.

Bronze Member

Des Moines, IA

Post Number: 83
Berny,
what do you mean by neutral?

I was thinking about the swans. So far I like Paradigm Monitor 7's the best out of:

Paradigm Studio 40's & 60's, To much bass in the 60's over powered the highs, the 40's were better but the great distiction between highs and lows.
B&W 600's & 700's
PSB Imiage T45's & T55's
I really like the Revel F32's but $4000 a pair is to much for me.
I liked the Energy RC-70's, but don't know if I want to spend $1500 on just 2 spakers right now.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6057
I'm curious...you asked if they are either bright, forward, flat, dull, or neutral. You used these words, I thought you knew what they would mean when someone actually used them to answer your question.

The best thing to do is get which speakers you are willing to spend your money on, commensurate with the choice your ears are going to make.

You asked about Swans and Rockets and then you inject Paradigm, B&W, PSB, Revel and Energy. No wonder you are confused:-)

Use your ears and decide for yourself. Narrow it down to at least 2 and forget that which you think is too much for your budget. Set a budget and do not listen to any speakers beyond the size of the wallet you are carrying. If not, you will get frustrated and will really have heck of a time making up your mind.

If Paradigms are on the top of the heap then get them and be happy.

Bronze Member

Des Moines, IA

Post Number: 84
Berny,
Your right about the Paradigms being on the top of my list. But I don't want to sell my self short if there is a better sounding speaker for about the same money or a little more. I have elliminated all off my list but the Swans and Onix because I have not heard them.

Do you have any experience with the Paradigm Monitor 11's? Do they have to much bass that drowns out the highs?

Gold Member

Post Number: 6061
No experience with the 11's but I have not heard Paradigm drowning out anything. They hardly disappoint.

Do you have access to Onix or Swans? If not, you cannot sell yourself short on anything you haven't heard.

Bronze Member

Des Moines, IA

Post Number: 85
Berny,
The reason I listed other speakers is to let you know what all I have auditioned so far, and the Paradigms are what I like best at this point.

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 831
One has to buy Onix speakers online, but they come with a 30 or 60 day return policy. They are some of the best built, best looking, and best sounding speakers at and above their price points. Paradigm's are also very good. Unless you know someone with Onix speakers, you have to buy them to audition them. Same is true of Axiom and Ascend speakers--and also SVS, HSU, Outlaw, and Onix subwoofers.

Bronze Member

Des Moines, IA

Post Number: 86
That is the trouble is trying to find someone near me that has them for an audition.

milagro
Unregistered guest
TDog, there are better Internet-direct speakers for your money than Onix which primarily lives off their looks and hype.

Bronze Member

Des Moines, IA

Post Number: 87
What about Swan, or are they in the same class with the Onix?

Gold Member

Post Number: 6071
milagro, have you listened to the Onix?

milagro
Unregistered guest
yes Berny, and I was not impressed. They are pretty to look at but sounded not much better than the Paradigm Monitor series which cost a little less and are B&M speakers. To my ears.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6082
They are pretty indeed. I thought they were okay, but they could use a bit more refinement in the highs.

Bronze Member

Des Moines, IA

Post Number: 88
sounds like its not the speaker for me then.

Gary Heinrich.
Unregistered guest
The 550 is about on par with Paradigm Monitor 7.

The 760 is new. A pair of Onix 750s were independently measured and they were really bad. Onix claimed they sent "photo samples" as they were to be photographed and no one told them they would be measured. Do companies really send photo samples with working drivers and crossovers? Few believed Onix story and a few short months later the 750 was quietly discontinued without any replacement speaker ready for months. Notice that the 760 is the only x60 series in the whole line. Everything else top to bottom is still a x50 series. No other x50 series speaker has been discontinued since the 750.

I had heard the 750 and the independent measurement results did not susprise me at all.

I agree that there is a whole lot of marketing hype based on their looks.

Bronze Member

Des Moines, IA

Post Number: 89
sounds like a great speaker without a great sound.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6090
Could very well be.

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 596
I am tempted to buy a pair for myself just to see if they really are that bad.

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 597
and TDog,

if you thought the REF 60,s had too much bass, stay FAR AWAY from the monitor 11's...

the bass from those things will make the REF 60's sound like they are bass LIGHT.

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 833
I have heard various Onix speakers and find most of them to be excellent in both sound and fit and finish. The reviews at this site on various Onix speakers, mostly by "Secrets of Home Theatre..." agree with me. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and all but the most rigorous should be taken with a grain of salt. Some people feel they aren't "tizzy" or airy enough in the top end, but I think they give a wonderfully open and neutral sound with no frequency range out of balance or over-emphasized with another. Most have excellent imaging and particularly the towers have a huge soundstage.

John Wagner
Unregistered guest
Put these on your list too http://brandnamez.com/merchant.ihtml?pid=10749&lastcatid=157&step=4&AffNO=879924 3 Look over on Audio Reviews at the great reviews on these speakers!

Gold Member

Post Number: 6119
Oh no here we go again.

Don't even bother with this troll.

He sells creams to improve sound.

John Wagner
Unregistered guest
Berny, I wish I did sell P.W.B. Products, I would be Rich by now! Nuck, this silver rainbow foil and cream elecret is Top Secret! Please do not tell anyone here on this forum about this stuff!

Gold Member

Post Number: 6155
LOL
That reverse psychology crap is a nice touch.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6172
It's so secret YOU don't even know what it is.
Oh yeah, magic...that's it, that's the ticket, yeah!

Silver Member
Username: Ziggyzoggyoioi

Outside Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 241
Actually guys, that link the troll posted was, in this case, for Energy Veritas speakers, which are indeed very good. But I believe the OP is trying to use a Yamaha AVR, which will NOT do a good job of powering anything in the Veritas line.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1396
OK, John.
I will never tell a soul.
In fact, Im sorry I ever told you.

Very

VERY

sorry.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6198
Now he's going to get ZiggyZoggy on his sights, LOL!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us