Has anyone heard of bose speakers?

Bronze Member
Username: Mnr3

Post Number: 21
can I bi-wire them to a 220 volt outlet for more power?
think I'm gonna be needing some single malt too!

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 5820
You go ahead and do that.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1327
MNR3, you cannot hold even a candle to the experienced audiophyles and drinkers here.
And I ain't an audiophyle.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5834
I do not consider an audiophile by any means, myself. I think MNR3 means to instigate some sort of flame wars.

Exploding watermelon in the face is what I see:-)

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1330
The Melon thing might get some mileage.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5842
Yeah, I know...is that somehow...wrong?

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1331
Berny, I always figgured you looked like Yoda.
One of those weird thing we think about when going to sleep.
Well, shiite, now I can't sleep at all.

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1332
If the self-eating watermelon is all that I have to ultimately contribute to the forum, I stand behind the melon, hand over heart, goofy 3 fingered salute of the scouts, and hiding my butt from anything that might be dangerous!

I lift my glass in galant salutation, to all the intrepid souls who have walked before me, in gleeful anticipation of all the souls to succeed me, and with the utmost consideration for those who would grasp the finest old traditions well.

A special toast for these individuals, holding the highest values above all, keeping the oldest circuits dear, loving each electronic componant as close as a lovers bosom.

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1333
Johnnie Walker, 2006.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5849
That's deep, Nuck!

Gold Member

Post Number: 5850
Permit me to get off topic.

This Johnnie Walker thing. I am not much of a whisky connoisseur. I see differing Johnnie Walker marquees, Black Label, Red Label, Green Label and Blue Label and with each color label is a considerable amount of price increase. What are the differences? I am planning on giving it as gifts and I do not know if I am sending a message by giving one person Black label as opposed to Blue Label.

Anonymous

Age AFAIK.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5865
I take it then that the older whisky is more expensive?

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1335
The red label is 12 years aged, with a slightly more acidic finish, and is best enjoyed with a fruitily treated dominican Cigar.

The blue label(yum, yum) is 18 yrs aged, with the oak char allowed to run its course, from presentation to finish, and is best served rocks, with a robust,forward cuban, perhaps a Cohiba would do nicely.

Priced according to the time invested.

Silver Member
Username: Sun_king

Leeds, West Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 342
Glenfiddich is the best reasonably priced whisky in my opinion. Jamesons Irish too.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
as OP, I have to jump into this
if you give someone blue and someone else black you are definitely sending a message!
dude, blue label runs around $200-300 a bottle (black is 30-50); it's not the 18, in fact, I don't think they put any year on it. here is the ranking, by price and age (price varying greatly from place to place because of local taxes)

red label, no age marked
black label, 12
green label, 15
gold label, 18
blue label
even the red is a step above "cheap" scotch, and the black is a very nice bottle; everything above that starts pushing towards $100 a bottle, at least locally here. both the red and the black (& those above) are darker, smokier whiskies, which does not appeal to all, and the green (which was only introduced a couple years ago) is even more so--not a whiskey for those who aren't familiar with peaty scotch; some (most americans) like a lighter flavor. finally, these are all blended whiskies, and not single malts; there is more prestige often given to single malts, but a good blend can be better, or at least smoother; chivas is a blend, and some non-scotch drinkers would consider good single malts like Laphroaig undrinkable (think 80 proof cough medicine)--it is very peaty.

time for jan to kick in!

Anonymous

LOL I'll take a $8 six pack (or two) of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale over any of those labels any day!

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7543

Blended Scotch doesn't get any better than Chivas in my neck of the intra-urban metroplex sprawl. I understand there are better bottles made but the ruddy b@stards keep it all to themself. 18 year old Chivas is still a pretty good glass to take with you to the listening room (never after dinner). One cube or a splash, if you must. Other than that, stay away from blends if you're giving a gift. Better to give chocolates and a gift certificate to Boozes'r'Us than a (just about any) bad blend. Depending on the distillery the taste of the "blended" grain alchohol is difficult to get down gracefully. (Think John Wayne westerns, "Bartender, give me a whiskey"; Glug-Squint.) Leaving it in a cask for a longer period of time just ups the price and doesn't kill the off-taste. Johhny Walker is for airport bars and dives only.

Single malts are similar to going from a Sony receiver with Bose speakers to a SET tube amplifier and full range drivers. You either find the love of your life or you wonder what all the fuss is about. But gifting someone a single malt would be the equivalent of picking which output tube to give someone. Are you expecting them to open the bottle before dinner or after? Do you think they will sit at the table and sip as an aperitif? Or will this be enjoyed later in the night? Pack a whallop of peat right after that fish course and you'll find the salmon running upstream again.

To gift someone a single malt and do a good job is to have had an intimate relationship with this partner. You have either slept with them or faced death with them. Or both! You must understand their inner self before deciding which single malt they will enjoy. You must understand why you are giving a single malt and not a pair of shoes.

Peat or sweet, you decide.

http://www.scotchwhisky.com/

http://www.maltmadness.com/hitlist.html

As to cigars, I profess my ignorance. I have recollections of my first job at Rarick's Delicatessen that fill my mind when the discussion turns to cigars. Mr. Rarick was a great guy but he could nurse a five cent RoiTan for three days, leaving the unsmoked bu++ in an ashtray where the employees were allowed to eat lunch or behind the candy counter where you dispensed fistfulls of penny candy to the smiling, hyperactive children with a mouth full of rotted teeth. Cigars have never appealed to me since. After my father stopped his three pack a day habit of unfiltered Camels, he switched to a pipe. (You don't inhale a pipe and, yes, he did die of emphysema.) I had an uncle who died of lung cancer also. None the less, the experience of watching my father and uncle slowly die put a decided spin on the witchery of tobacco.

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 921
"Johhny Walker is for airport bars and dives only."

I tend to disagree. I'm not a scotch drinker personally, so take this as you will. I did however bartend at a few fine establishments during undergrad and grad school. Everywhere I've been Johnnie Walker has been a well respected brand, even by those who don't like it. The thing about Scotch more than just about any other liquor, is that most Scotch drinkers will only drink one or two brands/types. Many Dewars drinkers won't drink Walker, and vice versa. Some blended Scotch drinkers don't like single malt, but more single malt drinkers don't like blended. Just some observations I made in the 7 or 8 years of bartending and a few more working different jobs in restaurants.

My father is the biggest Scotch drinker I know. He lived in Congo for a few years. He started drinking Scotch because it was locally known as a deterant to Malaria (is that spelled right?). Something about quinine keeping Malaria dormant once it's in your system. After he got Malaria (about a week after he was there), he drank about a bottle of Scotch a day because he "didn't want to take any chances." He never got it again. I guess their may be some truth to it.

As far as "Johhny Walker is for airport bars and dives only.", I think Cutty Sark and J&B fit this description better.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5894
South Koreans are fond of their finer spirits and was informed that they make very appropriate gifts. I just don't want to insult my host and lose face:-) The gift needs to be appropriate to their stature or perceived stature amongst their peers.

I have given the 18 year old Chivas Regal and it was well received, I hope the Johnnie Walker Blue label gets as much enthusiasm.

Of course is it safe to assume that these 2 are in the same caliber? Or is one a step down from the other?

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1345
The Chivis, in a crushed ice slurry(2 oz's and ice made from Formosa springs, in Ontario) mean I must be Q'ing beer can chicken, a ginger ale chicken, and about 40 buck worth of steak.
It sucks living in a cold place.
Sniff.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7547

JW is a respected label? Ok, but so's Sony in some places. Actually it's rather unbelievable that some people like old Sony; you know, before they made ElCassette. You're correct that most (blended) Scotch drinkers only stick to one or two brands. Mostly because they've had their fill of lousy Scotch of which there is an abundance; just pull up to any gas pump and ask for a shot.

I find more single malt drinkers to be curious about what's available and will have more than one bottle or will try something new since the variation of single malts in vastly more complex than what is found in the blended varieties. By defintion a blend is meant to taste the same every time. A single malt is more like a vintage wine which varies with ingredients, terre, weather, skill, a lot of art and aging ability.

"Some blended Scotch drinkers don't like single malt, but more single malt drinkers don't like blended."

Just as easily you could say some jazz lovers don't like tubes, but more jazz lovers don't like transistors.

They still sell Cutty Sark and J&B? I thought we were force feeding that to the prisoners in Abu Gharaib to make them talk.

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1346
Ok, Jan you really seem to be up on the finer spirits, could we just raise a toast of everyones favorite, with a favorite song or two?

I can have a Jim Beam after dinner with James Taylor.
Or, oddly enough Dr. Hook.

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1347
MNR, so long as the spirit of the gift is there, and the gift will be enjoyed, I see nothing wrong with the Johnny.
If the recipient(s) are conniseurs, the price goes up, but I have never had a problem with any gift of liquor, given or received.
A personal gift, one meant to be enjoyed.

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1348
Or Evlis, if you got the burner going.
With the foil.
I need your mailing addy again, Jan, btw.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
I like Johnny Walker; it is not the Sony of whiskey, nor an airport bar Scotch. at their price points, in fact, the red and black are my picks for the house Scotch. the blue label is a rare and fine bottle; very exclusive and exquisite. a big step above the Chivas 18 (and by that I don't mean a step above like it's "better," it's just more special, distinctive, or to repeat, exclusive; there is no age on it because some of the whiskies in the blend are supposed to be well over 25 years old)

now how am I suppose to get these boses to work, I pluged it in! do you have to buy a radio two?!!!! what are all those red and black things on the back..wait, red, black...what was this thread on again?
cheers

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1365
James Taylor, James Brown, the James Gang, whatever.
Theres always tomorrow.
As always, I tip the glass to a fellow audio enthusiast in need of therapy. And a line of credit.

Silver Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 265
Just like audio, with alcohol there is always a certain amount of snobbery. Who gives a toss about what some one else thinks is the highflaluten creme de le creme. You either like it or not, you can either afford it or not, you can give it or not, you can accept it or not, and if you are wise you'll choose not to drink it . . .

. . . too darn much!

Gold Member

Post Number: 5920
Jan,
Please expand "Johnnie Walker is a respected label?"

Would it be a step down from the usual 18 year old Chivas Regal that I present to my host?

A one liter bottle of Johnnie Walker Blue Label here is sold $100 US inside a US Base (priced at about 300 in the local economy)and a 750ml bottle of Chivas Regal is $48 US (200 in the local economy).

I am merely going by price as I do not partake of the spirits.

As my concern is not to offend the host.

Thanks for all the input as I try not to cause an international incident :-)

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7551

JW is a respected label. Just depends who is doing the respecting. Price is not always the determining factor in excellence. Or, even good quality. I generally do not assume to know what audio someone else might prefer and I can do no more with spirits. Take in the links I've provided above and see what you think the recipient might enjoy.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5921
ahh...very well!

Thanks for the input.

Gold Member
Username: Rick_b

Orlando, Florida USA

Post Number: 1294
JW Blue is in a class of it's own. It is a 60 year old single malt................very smoooooooooooooooooooooth.

Yes Jan, like the SET and full range drivers analogy. Very good sir!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
smooth, yes, single malt, no. it's a blend of malts.
and believe it or not, at $100, damn cheap (about half price!)

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7553

The price of receivers has gone up substantially over the last few years. When I was selling audio HK always wanted to release their Citation receiver but felt the market wouldn't sustain a receiver priced well above entry level seperates. McIntosh was the only company selling a truly high priced receiver at the time and most of its sales went to those doctors and lawyers wanting to bring into their office a bit of the same sound their separates at home offered. The question, therefore, is whether there is truly any merit to a $5k receiver or whether it isn't wiser to move to separate components at that price. Additionally, would you consider a $100 bottle of blended Scotch to be a value over and above individual ingredients? Single ended/single malt. The future is behind us not before us.

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 925
I guess Morton's, Ruth's Chris, and the Delmonico Steakhouse (owned by Emril Lagasse) have become dive bars.

I'd consider myself more of a beer conniseur. Here's a few of the great many quality brews and breweries, in no particular order -

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. - Any thing coming out of here is guaranteed to be great. My favorite beers in just about every category.

Cooperstown Brewery - It doesn't get much better than Old Slugger Pale Ale and Benchwarmer Porter. If you've visiting the Hall of Fame, you've gotta stop by for a tour and tasting.

Anchor - Porter
Otter Creek - Stovepipe Porter
Harpoon - IPA
Fuller's - ESB

Irish Stout -
Beamish
Murphy's

I could go on and on for days...

Gold Member
Username: John_a

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3918
There are speakers with a power input, I have some, but usually people take care not to get the power and signal inputs mixed up. WIth the brand you mention, it could improve the sound. A suitable listening position is also recommended. It is almost impossible to have them too far away, I find.

Another option is to power them from a wind turbine on a still day.

Conversely, the amp ouput is not really going to be a good power supply for speakers. The voltage is all wrong, and keeps changing, though careful matching with techno-pop sources might do the trick.

For blended, consider also Grant's and Bell's.

My father liked Bell's.

I hope this helps with the biwiring question, MNR3.

Silver Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 813
Don't drink, sorry guys. Used to and enjoyed Chivas, 12 or 18, was fine and never thought JW made that cut. Cutty Sark on rare occasions used to do OK when Chivas wasn't in the pocketbook. So did Jim Beam if I was broke.

As for tobackey, dad smoked Camels or Lucky Strikes from age 12 until 50. Similar to Jan's dad, he switched to cigars but thought that failing to inhale made you a sissy. He quit smoking 5 years before his early death (lung cancer) and I've stayed away from it ever since, not a pretty way to go, I'm afraid.

So, that leaves me only two vices - music and sex and they go together better than alcohol and tobacco IMHO. Okay, enough sharing and let's get back to audio. LOL

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1367
Is it getting thirsty in here, or is it just me?
Oh yeah, there was an audio thing going on.

Gold Member
Username: John_a

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3921
"...there was an audio thing going on"

Not on this thread, surely?

Bronze Member
Username: Dan_the_man

London, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 56
I am a big fan of the scotch drinking.

Blended scotch is fine for occasional drinkers of scotch. Dedicated people would choose a single malt.

Some of the brands i would recommend looking at are The Balvanie (1991 port wood), Glenmorangie 15 year and The Glenlivet (french oak reserve)15 year. Excellent single malts at affordable prices.

just my 2 cents.

Bronze Member
Username: Dan_the_man

London, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 57
JW is a ok whiskey. Nothing wrong with it, but is not a single malt.

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1373
"Not on this thread, surely?"
John, I find this distraction to be a fine resease from Dietifying various pieces of unobtainium, and pushing the regular stuff that I have.
Altogether, I might suggest a monthly forum meeting for members of the bent elbow and favorite musical selections.

Further, I might suggest the first Saturday evening of each month, with a different imbibement and different musical selection, preferably something new for the occasion.

In fact, this calls for a new thread, I await your response.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us