Anyone heard of Anthony Gallo speakers?

newbie4
Unregistered guest
anyone heard of anthony gallo speakers, if so are they worth it? or would i be better putting my money into something different?

Silver Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 260
That's like asking if a Ferrari is worth it. To some yes, to me no!

No one can tell you if speakers are worth it for you. Your ears are yours - not ours. The best advice is to listen to various speakers, see what is appropriate for your room size and amplification, bank balance and most important - your ears.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2757
Anthony Gallo's speakers are highly regarded and the Reference 3 system has won numerous awards. As Rantz said it's a matter of preference and no one here can tell you what you will like. They are good speakers but I don't want them. Go out and give 'em a listen if possible.

Silver Member
Username: Rysa4

Post Number: 375
I have sat down in front of them for the past two years at CES with Anthony Gallo there to answer questions.

Why sure you have to auditrion them. That aside-- they are really good. They look weird though without the box cover. They updated the speakers this year so the current model is the 3.1 and not the 3.

The 3.1 uses a different mid range driver than the 3s; the 3.1 uses a different capacitor type as well and they also eliminated this unusual tweeter switch this year.

The speakers do best fairly far out in a room away from the front wall. And especially away from THE SIDE WALLS-I am talking more than three feet. With the right set up, they fall into that " just the music with the disappearing speaker" class of somewhat rareified air. They are excellent, but not in th running for top speaker. But very good.

There was a recent discussion on audiogon where one poster mentioned that he felt that there was a significant loss of imaging if you were standing up and that you really needed to be positioned in a somewhat narrow radius in front of the soundstage.

While I agree that there is a change in sounstage when standing and significantly off axis, my opinion is that the speaker still sounds phenominal even standing and off axis.

They do better with higher quality gear ( juice) but are not as finicky as the Thiel brand in this regard.

OP_ Please register.

Username: Jarrod_w

Post Number: 1
registered. The reason I ask as I have been offered a set of five with matching sub, I had not really heard of them. My house has a very high ceiling and is quite open, and I am after a system to fill it. Thanks for your advice though!

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 5843
What are your other options?

Silver Member

Post Number: 376
Five Anthony Gallo Ref 3.1s? Well that would certainly do the job for HT; but you would need some real juice to drive all five.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1334
Jarron, take up the deal on the set of speakers, but with a caveat.\
You are going to need some serious power for that setup.
Heavily, serious.
I would suggest the Haffler 500 series amps for a starting point.

Post Number: 2
Other options, looking at getting a couple of floorstanding speakers, have had the athena AS F2.2 series reccomended. Would like more than two though, but am on a slightly limited budget. Also I live in New Zealand, there are some limitations to what some companies will deliver as well as horrendous import costs.
I got a marantz SR7000 reciever, will that be enough juice or will it need another amp as well?

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1339
Jarrod, your marantz will power the Athena's quite well, external amps would compliment the Gallo's.
But since you mentioned the 'b' word(budget), and your Kiwi import situation, those F2.2's are looking pretty good.

Silver Member
Username: Ziggyzoggyoioi

Outside Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 237
I would imagine that the OP is referring to Gallo Nucleus/Nucleus Micro, A'Diva, or Due speakers, as opposed to the Reference. Call it a hunch.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7542

You have Perreaux at your doorstep. Power doesn't come much more serious than that.

Silver Member

Post Number: 377
The Ziggy hunch might be correct. 5 3.1s staring at each other would be quite the site and would really need a very large room for even getting close to optimal sound.

Post Number: 4
your hunch is correct, they are Anthony Gallo TR-1/S Sub and Five micros.
So all in all the opinion is to go for it?
Thanks heaps for your help!

Silver Member

Post Number: 378
The micros are cool. If it were me, I'd get a different sub.

Post Number: 5
Any reccomendations?

Silver Member

Post Number: 379
Well theres a subwoofer forum here at ecoustics. There are several questions as one sub doesnt really fit all most of the time. My first question would be what is the size of your room in cubic feet, what is the shape ( rectangle/square etc, is this only for HT or music and whats more important. what volume do you listen at and how impoetant are looks and size of the sub to you or anyone living with you.

That would help a bit. Oh yea-- do you have a budget for sub.

Varit
Unregistered guest
Check out Orb Audio...I like their sub better than the Gallo sub and the sats are a step up, too (or at least just as good). Prices are lower than Gallo.

Post Number: 6
just been speaker shopping, always fun. For the same price of the anthony gallo set, I can get a set of Polk RTi10 and a sub, they are getting in one for me to listen to tomorrow. As for the room size, the living room/kitchen, is around 5m*6m*4m, in feet around 15*18*12, with some odd shaped bits inbetween, if anything the space is larger due to the stairwell, not a perfect room. but i would like to fill it rather than have patchy sound.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us