Lower end receiver

Username: Jasonshapiro

Post Number: 1
I am starting a system and have decided to order the Athena B1.2's. I am still deciding on a receiver and was hoping to get some insight. I listened to the lowest Integra model, don't remember the name, that was about to be replaced with the newer model. I liked it and it was $375. I am considering something a little cheaper and was wondering how it would compare. A Pioneer vsx-815 and a Harmon Kardon 140. I plan on adding a sub, etc. eventually but don't have the money right now. My main concern is quality stereo for music but will be plugging my DVD player and satellite dish. Any incite would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Post Number: 2
BTW, I will definitely purchase the Integra if that is far better than the other options.

Garam
Unregistered guest
Did you take a look at Pioneer VSX-1015? It's in the sub-$400 price range & I believe it'll drive your Athenas wonderfully.

Post Number: 3
I haven't been able to find the 1015 for under $400? I'm also considering the Panasonic 55.

Garam
Unregistered guest
OK..I guess it was on ebay that I saw it in < $400 range. You could try http://www.ibuydigital.com/product/?4078&cart_id=5026942

I bought mine from there about 2 mths back. Looks like they are out of stock currently.

Username: Icmenu

Jackson, Tn USA

Post Number: 3
One of my friends just ordered a Yamaha HTR-5890 from HypeAudio, an internet based compnay. This thing sounds great. Has plenty of power, DSP settings,THX certification, and Yamaha Cinema DSP fields. It also has YPAO, a program in which you put a microphone(included) where the listener sits, and calibrate the entire system, every speaker, very easliy. This is a 900.00 unit, and my buddy got it for 454.00 online.. plus i think 20 30 bucks for shipping. He received the receiver 4 days after ordering, and the unit was brand new as claimed by the site. Hope i could be of some help.. Enjoy your new system, whatever the route you take..

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 654
I would stick with the integra.

Integra is onkyo's higher end brand, the likes of which you will never see in best buy or circuit city. The sound quality will be noticibly better than pioneer or yamaha.

I saw the title of the thread and was going to reccomend integra, or pioneer elite, but you already know what to do. :-)

oh...

***INTEGRA IS NOT A LOW END RECIEVER***

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 655
and STAY AWAY FROM THE PANASONIC!

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3628
heh, ordinarily I would recommend the Panasonic but paired with the Athenas there is a good chance you may complain of brightness and blame it on the Panasonic. However I *have* come across people on the AVS Forum who've had good results with that combination.

With those speakers and your wish for quality stereo sound, your safest choice would be a Marantz...look at accessories4less.com for some authorized refurbs that should fall right into your budget.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 665
well...each person has their own personal preference...

but I, as well as most people on this forum think the panny is over hyped.

Username: Txgator

Post Number: 8
I recently purchased the Pioneer VSX815-K on line for $240.00 and love it. The auto set up feature nailed the location of all my speakers (2) Bose acoustimass-5 series II speaker systems plus subwoofer.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3659
EB,

You've probably heard this before, but have to tell you just in case: you'll love the Pio815 even more once you get decent speakers and a real sub.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3660
> but I, as well as most people on this forum think the panny is over hyped.

LOL "most people" on this forum = what, 6 out of 10 regular posters?

That's like saying "most people" in ButtFuckNowhere (population 15) prefer Pepsi over Coke. Might be true, but utterly meaningless.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1474
Yet here you are Eddie, along with 4 out of 5 dentists.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3661
"4 out of 5 dentists"

???

Nuck are you trying to impersonate Bob Dylan?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us