Bookshelf Speakers: Klipsch SB-3 vs. Paradigm Mini-Monitors

Username: Jtscott

Post Number: 1
I've narrowed my search down to two specific speakers: The Klipsch Synergy B-3s (Best Buy - $280/pr) and the Paradigm Mini-Monitors ($400/pr).

I know there are plenty of other speakers out there that also perform well, but because I've narrowed it down to these two, please refraid from suggesting a handful of other options. I am primarily interested in everyone's thoughts on these two speakers.

I have good familiarity with Paradigms (Dad owns Monitor 9s, Brother owns Monitor 7s). We have been very pleased with both.

I have listened to several options in the more high-end arena, and while I did appreciate their sound reproduction, I couldn't justify spending the additional 200-300/pr at this stage in my life. While I was in the process of budget hunting, I came across the Klipsch B-3s, which are on sale at BB.

My goal is to purchase a set of bookshelves that will work as my primary set (in the short term - as a 2-channel system, 60% movies/40%music) and will still suffice as a secondary set (in the mid-to-long term). I hate the idea of purchasing a pair of throw aways, and I'm not sure if the Mini-Monitors are worth the extra money.

Any thoughts on these two options that you may have or experiences you could share would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1289
John, if you read several threads here, you will find the mini monitors win out with a +- of 3 percentage point, 19 times out of 20.
I, myself, own Psb alpha's which were mighty close to the Mini's in their day, but thats old news.

If you like the presentation of the Klipch, that's your call, the horns/tweet are some of the best, and cheapest for performance.

I have heard some pretty good Klipch lately, but lower end stuff.
Those Paradigms are a step beyond, IMHO.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1290
What amp/rcceiver do you have, John?
The Paradigms can be a little low on impedance.

Post Number: 2
Thanks for your thoughts Nuck...

I don't have a receiver yet, but I plan on getting something that's inexpensive. I'm not sure if my logic is sound, but I imagine that the electronic technology (sound processing, connectivity, etc) will evolve much faster than the speaker's and thus I'd rather put more of my budget toward speakers. I'm thinking I'll probably end up with a bottom barrel Sony, Pioneer, or Yamaha from Best Buy.

I wish I had the money to get a decent Marantz, Denon, etc., but I don't at this point. And because of my logic (above) would rather spend my money in the short-term on better speaker quality.

Is this approach sound? What do you think?

Also, just to be clear, you're opinion is that the Paradigms are worth the additional money, correct?

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 561
I myself also think that the paradigms are worth the extra dough as well..

I personally am NOT impressed with the klipsch that are in BB...

if you want to hear a GOOD sounding klipsch speaker, you need to check out their reference series, which use much better tweeters, better cabinets, and better woofers. Not to mention better crossovers and wiring as well.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 562
pioneer will go well with the paradigm, as well as yamaha

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 563
pioneer will go well with the paradigm, as well as yamaha. However, as a general rule of thumb, STAY AWAY FROM SONY!

Post Number: 4
Thanks for your input, Gavin.

It's interesting that you said to stay away from Sony. I've heard that from a number of people now. What's the deal with that? And just out of curiousity, does that reputation extend into their ES line. Or, does it only apply to their more budget-friendly gear?

Lastly, I read that the Paradigms maximum input power (continuous) is 80 Watts. According to their specs the "Suitable Amplifier Power Range" is 15-100 Watts. If the Pioneer amp is listed at 110 Watts/channel, will this still be ok?

I know they grossly overstate power numbers on the low-end amps, but I would hate to spend the extra money for decent speakers and find that my crappy receiver is killing them!

Silver Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 759
Too much emphasis is placed on wattage as a measurement for both speakers and amps. If the amp is not clipping and the speakers are not being overdriven then all is happiness. Most of the time the amplifier will be operating no where near it's max rated power unless you're playing bass heavy music at a high volume.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us