JVC 8030-VBK center channel cutting out

Username: Batman4279

Post Number: 5
I have a pair of Wharfedale diamond 8.4's that I purchased in 2004. My problem is this: I am using a JVC 8030VBK receiver to power my home theatre system, which also includes a Wharfedale WH-2 centre channel speaker, 2-diamond 7.1's for the rear surround channels and another WH-2 for the surround back channel. The center channel on my receiver will sometimes cut out. I have had it into two JVC authorized repair centers and they can find nothing wrong with it. I am wondering if this may have anything to do with the bi-wiring on the 8.4's. I have them connected in the standard wiring configuration, according to my Wharfedale manual, but the manual on the website shows a different configuration for the standard wiring setup. I am just trying to eliminate all possible suspects to alleviate this problem, and I really can think of nothing else that may be doing this. I have swapped out centre channel speakers, and the wire, with the same result. I have fifteen years experience in home theatre and have never experienced anything quite like this. Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I really have invested quite a bit in this system, and I don't know where to go.

Username: Kbates

Post Number: 1
Gary, Maybe we can work on this together because I'm actually having the same problem with my centre channel and I also have a JVC RX-8030 VBK receiver. I think you can rule out the speakers because mine are Mirage not Wharfdales. Are you using a single Digital Input cable or separate DVD Multi cables. Mine is single. When my center channel cuts out, I notice the display changing from Dolby Digital D to PLII Movie. So I suspect that the receiver is somehow losing its ability to sense the multi channel format of the incoming signal. It seems to only happen with DVD's that I've rented, and somtimes cleaning the DVD seems to help. However the same DVD usually plays fine in my daughters $30 DVD player hooked up to her TV (i.e. no 5.1 receiver involved). So it's back to the receiver or the DVD Player. What DVD player are you using? Mine is a JVC XV-NP1SL. If we can rule the DVD player out we can focus on the receiver. I have a friend in the audio biz that I can consult with as well. I'm guessing that the digital processor in the receiver is either faulty or subject to some electrostatic or magnetic interference. I don't think over heating is a problem since my receiver has plenty of open space around it. I am more computer literate than audio literate but because the receiver is just processing a digital signal I'm determined to try figure it out!

Post Number: 6
I am using a single digital cable. I am using a JVC xv-50 dvd player. I don't think it's the dvd player as the problem occurs when I use any source (cable, cd). The problem occurs when the unit is warm or cold, doesn't seem to matter. I talked to JVC today. They still want me to send it in again, it's like an endless loop. I also purchased a Yamaha HT-5840 last night, plugged it into that system and it works fine. How old is your receiver?

Username: Peychaud

Post Number: 1
For what it's worth, the center channel on my JVC 8010VBK receiver had also been cutting out on me. I had it connected to my DVD player via digital audio cable. I was afraid the problem was my Athena speaker, but now I think it's the receiver, especially since the receiver stopped working about a week ago. The standby lamp is on and when I push the power button the red source buttons briefly light up (ie DVD, CD, Phono, etc.) but the display doesn't come on and it doesn't work.

I liked its performance but I expected more than three and a half years out of a receiver.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1642
Gary, did you try with the a singgle feed to the centre speaker?
Eliminate the bi-wire?

Amedee, the Athena's are swing happy on impedance, the JVC may not be able to keep up.

Overall, most receivers will not be able to power low impedance speakers set-ups at all.
Low impedance speakers generally demand higher buck power supplies.
H/K is the entry point that I would recommend from experience.

Post Number: 2
Sorry I'm just getting back to you now. The email alerts from your postings were going to my junk mail so I missed them. My JVC receiver is only about 18 months old. It does sound like a receiver problem we are all having (maybe even different problems). I bought all JVC equipment (Receiver, DVD, Widescreen TV) through an old friend who has had his own stereo store in Penticton BC for about 22 years. I'm going to give him a call to ask if he has gotten any other negative feedback about the JVC receiver line. Maybe he's had some customers that have managed to figure out the problem. I'll post another response in a few days after I talk to him.

Post Number: 7
It's definitely the receiver. My new Yamaha has been working fine. I got the JVC back from service and hooked it up to some standard spare 8-ohm speakers I had, and the problem was there immediately. I sent it back out to JVC today since it failed when it was under warranty. This will be the 4th time, and the techs claim they can find nothing wrong with it, but I can reproduce it easily. Check out this link too.

http://reviews.cnet.com/JVC_RX_8030VBK/4864-6466_7-20845647.html?ctype=msgid&mes sageSiteID=7&messageID=1681199&cval=1681199&tag=uolst

I'll keep you guys posted.

Username: Sonenblick

Post Number: 5
I have an older JVC RX9010V receiver hooked up to even older Bose Stereo Everywhere 4.2 speakers as the left and right front, and some cheap Sony speakers as rear surround and also Sony center. The sub is also a sony model. I have noticed that sometimes when I am watching TV or a DVD the center channel gets muffled and/or cuts out. I have seen it happen more when the sub kicks in, but I think it does also happen out of the blue.

Time for a new (non-JVC) receiver?

Username: Peychaud

Post Number: 7
As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I've got an RX 801VBK. When I would play DVDs, I used to mistakenly believe the dialog would suddenly become muddled, but what was actually happening is the center channel was cutting out completely and I was hearing dialog through the sub. I'd have to switch over to two-channel to hear the dialog.

This receiver suddenly stopped working altogether a couple of weeks ago. Given these issues and the fact that mine is no longer under warranty, it's time for a new receiver.

A non-JVC new receiver, I should note.

Post Number: 3
My problem with the centre channel cutting out now seems to have gone away. Previously, I had used the "Settings" to bump up the center tone to a 4 out of 5, and I has also changed my front and center speakers to the "Large" setting instead of small. I use Mirage Omnipolar satellites all around and they produce a big enough sound on the "Small" setting but I thought I'd try boosting the prominence of the front and center speakers by changing them to the "Large" setting. I think the over boosting of the bass with the Large setting combined with a higher center tone (and decibel) level might have been what was causing my center channel to cut out. It's like the data buffer for the centre channel in the receiver's digital processor was filling up and "Hanging" much like a PC does when it runs out of real memory. This is a total guess but like I say, ever since I changed every thing back to the factory settings and used the "Small" speaker size setting I haven't had the problem. I haven't cranked anything really loud recently, but I played the "Queen Live at Wembly" DVD at about 40 with out incident. Obviously the receiver should be able to support whatever settings your are given the option to use, but maybe JVC underestimated the size of the data buffers necessary if you bump up the center channel to the extreme. The big test will be when I rent King Kong next week and bump the volume up to 50-55!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us