Speakers crackle during certain dialogue

Username: Littleruss21

Post Number: 1
ok i have a marantz sr5400 reciever with
2 DM602.5 Front Floorstanders
2 DM601 Rear Bookshelf
1 LCR600 Center Channel
1 ASW650 Subwoofer
All are Bowers & Wilkins, i have ammassed this system over a number of years so you imagine its importance to me.
The problem is during certain parts in movies mainly during dialogue with no soundtrack(Mothman Prophecies when they are in the bathroom with will patton pointing the shotgun at richard gere...also on the movie 21 grams when the preacher is yelling at the congregation and benicio del toro is apart of it) ok well during these parts there is some crackling at the end of thier speech on the last syllable...it only seems to be at certain pitchs because in other parts of the movie there will be dialogue with no music , and the amp will be loud, and there is no cracking...i have tried to tweek my amp but i am afraid i don't know what a lot of the stuff means...i am almost sure it isn't a blown speaker because it handles music cds and even music in movies just fine at very hi levels now the center channel is on the lower shelf of my tv stand but i mean it has rubber grommets between it and the glass...so i guess i need to know what to try and remedy this...if you need more info just ask i really just appreciate the help

thank,
andrew

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 5686
I've experienced this before and I was concerned. But I spoke with a few audio gurus and I was told to observe when or what part of the speech or recording makes the cracking/distorting part. I made sure that it was at low volumes and observe if it is still ocurring.

If this happens at the same part of the recording all the time and if it also appears at lov volumes, you may have an oversaturated recording. This can be verified by using the same material on a different system.

Post Number: 2
forgive me but by low volumes do you me the volume is down low or the speech is at a low volume because the part i was talking about they are kind of yelling

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 759
Andrew I had a similar problem with my bedroom system where on certain high notes (noticeably Ms. Norah Jones) the system would make a crackling sound. Anyway after a long debugging process that included getting my Rotel amp lubbed (I thought it was the volume control), it ended up being my NAD CD player. Once replaced, everything was fine. If you can hear the crackling everytime (reproduce it on the same exact spot you are mentioning), try a different DVD player and see how it works.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 5726
I meant volume being down low. Again pay attention that it happens always at the same portion and not at random.
Like Stof said, try a different player and see if it happens in the same portions of the media.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1309
It is the source, no doubt.
I went through 3 or 4 copies of Colin James before I got a good one.
It happens.

Post Number: 3
thanks for all the suggestions guys i am going to try all of them asap...but like an idiot i sent 21 grams back to netflix so i need to find another dvd that does it...but it looks you guys are probably right its either the dvd or the dvd player and it being a tivo 'slash' DVD player i would say its that so i am going to try and get another dvd player from a friend.

thanks again,
andrew
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us