Help with deciding on Paradigm speakers?

Bronze Member
Username: Tdogroeder

Des Moines, IA

Post Number: 45
My mainly use my system for about 95% HT. I recently listened to the Monitor 7's and was very impressed. But I am considering the Studio 60's. but I wondering was is the better speaker for home theater.
Also, what do you guys think of Ascend speakers?
Thanks for you help

Bronze Member

Des Moines, IA

Post Number: 46
By the way I have a Yamaha RX-V757 receiver. And, would I need an amp to push the Monitor 7's or the Studio 60's?

Bronze Member
Username: Dobyblue

St. Catharines, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 28
If you have the money to consider the Studio-60s but are also looking at the Monitor 7's then I would strongly advise you to test drive the Monitor 11 speakers.
I almost bought the 7s, the auditioned the 11s and haven't looked back since. For HT and advanced resolution music (particularly 2 channel SACDs like Peter Gabriel's "So") the Monitor 11s are just remarkable.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2752
The Studio 60's are a far better speaker than any Monitor series speaker but for mostly HT use I would probably go with the 7's or higher as Steven has suggested and put some money in an external amp to go with your Yammie. Outlaw would be good place to start for the amp.

http://www.outlawaudio.com/

Bronze Member

Des Moines, IA

Post Number: 47
hey Art & Steven,
When I auditioned the Monitor 7's he steered me away from the Monitor 9's saying the drivers in the 7's were better for home theater and the 9's are better for rock music. He also said that I did not need an amp to run the 7's because they are very responsive.
After looking at the monitor 11's I do like those. but do you think the 11's would over power the center channel for that series of speakers?

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2753
He's full of it. The 7's would certainly be adequate, but to get the most out of them especially with a power challenged receiver like a Yamaha you will indeed need external amplification. BTW I'm not putting down the Yammie I own the RX-V657 and used it for HT, but with an external amp. I use Paradigm speakers. I'm a 2 channel guy now and use the 657 as an AM/FM/XM tuner only.

My suggestion would be the 7's with CC370 and Mini's rear. If a 5 channel amp sounds like more than you can afford consider a 2 channel amp for the mains only that would free up some current for the rest of the speakers and make the whole HT sound better.

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 537
personally I think that the 9's and 11's are the worst sounding speakers in the monitor line. The bass can get boomy at times.

However, in the right room, the 7's can have great bass provided they are powered well and set up properly.

Bronze Member

Des Moines, IA

Post Number: 48
Art,

I have a 7.1 setup, so what about bi-pole/di-pole speakers with paradigms. I have Polk Audio Fxi3's for side surround and Polk R15's for back surround. I do plan on getting a 3 or 5 channel amp and was thinking about an outlaw 7500 amp.

Bronze Member

Des Moines, IA

Post Number: 49
Hey guys what about polk audio LSi9 bookshelf speakers Vs. the Studio 20's?

Bronze Member
Username: Dobyblue

St. Catharines, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 32
I find the bass to be extremely tight and purposeful on the Monitor 11s and far more substantial than the Monitor 7s.

I auditioned the 7, 9 and 11 speakers from Paradigm using Peter Gabriel's "Us" on SACD with a Pioneer DV-455a player and found the Paradigm 11 speakers to have to most appealing bass of the line. The only one I didn't listen to was the 90Ps. That disc has lots of low bass on it and I listened to the tracks "Love to be Loved" and "Secret Garden"
The imaging on the 7s and 11s was nicer than the 9s, but the 11s just made me feel like I was sitting inside the disc itself and you can't beat that feeling. It makes you feel like you're almost floating.
Needless to say I find so far through many movies, including The Haunting (DTS:ES) and Gladiator (DTS:ES) that the CC-370 seems to be pretty seamless with the Monitor 11 speakers.
5.1 DVD-Audio sounds just stunning, from NIN's "Closer" to REM's "Belong" the sound is full and uncompromising.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1237
I am knee deep inOutlaw bargaining at the moment, and have found nothing not to like so far.

Tdog, you might consider a pair of mono200's from Outlaw as a reasonable poweer supply for Studio's.

Art has experience, and the look and flexibility of mono's have a great appeal(for me).

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1238
The paradigm's are well known for expansive impedance curves, and I doubt your Yammie would appreciate that very much, the Outlaws are industrial strength, and can run to decimal point impedance(albeit briefly).

Bronze Member

Des Moines, IA

Post Number: 50
I was actually thinking of getting a 5 channel outlaw amp 200 watts per channel.

Bronze Member

Des Moines, IA

Post Number: 51
Are the 200 watt mono amps very good compared to one 5 channel amp of outlaw?

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1241
Same animal, different look.
Very good, very faithful and not for the timid.
The mono's get very loud and use seperate ac circuits sometimes, 600w apiece.

I have yet to find anything wrong.
I viseted as guys place running older Outlaw mono's with Maggies, no power issues at all.

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1242
Ask Berny about the quality of the product.

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1243
I am currently considering a 990 preamp with 5xmono's for 2222$us.
Cheap, cheap for the quality, IMHO.

Bronze Member

Des Moines, IA

Post Number: 52
I audition some B & W 700 & 600 series and was not impressed. The highs were weak the bass was descent. The paradigms Monitor &'s were far better to my ear than B&W's.

However, I auditioned some Revel speakers, These were so good. Excellent high and awesome bass. Great distribution of highs andlows. To simply put it, these speakers were awesome, but a steep price of $4200 for a pair.
http://www.revelspeakers.com/ I think it was the performa series F32. http://www.revelspeakers.com/products/product-overview.asp?ID=14

Silver Member
Username: Davidpa

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 118
Nuck, your just shy of getting into a bryston 9B, have you had a chance to listen? If possible to demo, man its worth it! I think retail is around 3995. $US. but can be had for less with a little haggling. Unless your set on your outlaws, then...nevermind!

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1262
Hi again Davidpa!
I did get to listen to the Bryston 9 as well as the 7 a little while back, and they are demo sale at the store I visit in Montreal.
However, the processer and amp combo are looking like a pretty good deal, for the 2222 price.
I would dearly love the Bryston bits, but a preamp would break the bank, along with the Linn uni player I heard them with. Also wilson puppies.
its a lottery purchase, although I think the Linn mains would be in place of the Wilson's, since were talking theoretical money.

Good to see you again.

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1264
David, the outlaw 990 has 2 seperate bass management channels.
How would that work with your 2 diferent subs, the paradigm and I forget your other, sorry.

This baby is feature hevi, dvi switching only, and will multi room multi house type of thing.

I am really shopping this set-up with 5x200m mono blocks, I need ya to give me the 'ra ra' to get it done.

Cheers

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1265
I am undecided about the speakers.I n all honesty, my room/layout/possibilities are fairly limited,
I did find a sweet spot with each speaker reared into a fairly empty separate room(s)on each side of the room. Speakers are now 14'apart with a room depth of only 8'. Not ideal, but a sweet spot. Damn, I am in the middle of a reno, and not a good time for second thoughts!

Silver Member
Username: Davidpa

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 119
Nuck,with two bass outs, youll be fine. the integration is the tough part, lots of fun experimenting though! I have my crossovers set at 55hz for center, and 60 for LR, 55 for rear, and 80 for surrounds, placement will most likely take the majority of your time. Price points your talking...is that for everything? Guess Im just dumb enough not to picture your (possible, theoretical) setup??? Also, how much are the monos each your looking at, the 9B is not mono block, but 7B is, as your obviously aware of, I guess Im just not quite savvy enough to read between the lines, it was a tough day for me here, and Im a little slow!

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1270
Thanks, David, I be slower than you.
The setup is a 990 Outlaw preamp/processor with all the bells and whistles, dvi switching to 194, 7/9 channel capable.

I don't need all the video, the 5 channel will be fine for 5x200 mono block amps, feeding the Psb speakers setup I have now.

Type of thing, for 2300bucks.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us