Polk Audio Monitor 70 or Magnepan MMG

Username: Dmbrock

Houston, TX USA

Post Number: 3
Looking at getting new speakers. Hv budget of approx. $500-700. What are yr thoughts on the above? REally appreciate any input.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2747
With the Maggies you need to bring enough high current amplification to the party to make them sing or you have wasted the magic that is Maggie. Also need a good quality (fast) subwoofer if you want to hear anything under 50hz. Yes, this does mean an expensive sub. Preferably with a 10 inch or smaller driver and sealed enclosure with a high power class A/B amp. REL and Era both make subs that are often used successfully with Maggies. Ofcourse these subs cost at minimum twice what the Maggies cost. Good luck.

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 535
art and donna,

you can get the MartinLogan Dynamo, which costs around $600, which will mate with the MMG's splendedly.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2748
Tannoy makes very good inexpensive subs as well but they nor the little ML are up to the REL/Era standard in my opinion. However, they will do a respectable job with Maggies.

http://www.tannoy.com/ResSubOverview

The TS8 and TS10 are well suited to the task.

http://www.martinlogan.com/dynamo_speaker.html

The Dynamo is front firing which I think is a disadvantage with the bipolar Maggies. ML subs have been well recieved by the audio press and in my experience perform better than average.

Bronze Member
Username: Tommy_jenkins

Tallahasse, FL

Post Number: 14
Donna,

there's a "Edster922" guy in your city who swears by Ascend 340 speakers. These are Internet direct and in your price range. I'd PM him for a local audition. Google up Ascend, these are very well-regarded speakers and the new SE versions claim to do quite well without a subwoofer for music listening.

Houston, TX USA

Post Number: 4
Thanks much for all of the advice. I will look at the Ascend and talk to Edster922. I would really prefer to go with a 3-way system and bypass the sub. I heard these are difficult to get perfect sound with and you hv to know what you r doing (and I dont). I run my sound thru my computer and would again prefer to hv little equipment as necessary to get powerful sound.

Silver Member
Username: Paul98

Post Number: 132
I would go with a pair of Ascend 340 SE. You are going to get about the same bass response out of the Ascends as you would out of those other speakers you named. That being said they can use a sub for the low end like 60 or 50hz and below.

You can check the response on each website as it shows how deep each of them go.

They are an amazing speaker and I will very highly recomend you order them. If you don't like them you can return them. But I don't see that happening.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 539
art,

the ML Dynamo can be configured to be downward firing AS WELL AS front firing in case you didn't see it.

Houston, TX USA

Post Number: 5
I will buy the Ascends. Now another question. My amp is 15 yrs old (Technics SU-V78). Will my amp be able to handle the Ascends. If not, what would you suggest I buy. I dont hv a receiver, do I need one? Thanks for all of yr help.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 544
I myself am a fan of the Pioneer Elite a-35r intergrated amp for a low cost midfi intergrated with smooth, well balanced sound. It will run around $200, and puts out 50 watts into 8 ohms, and will comfortably drive a 4 ohm speaker.

I have personally heard this amp driving MartinLogan Clarity speakers, which can be quite power hungry, with impedence dips below 4 ohms, and it did not have any issues.

And, as I said before, for the price, I think it sounds great. Much better than a reciever of the same price.

2076_4155_35186_tab=B%2C00.html?compName=PNA_ProductDetailComponent,http://www.p ioneerelectronics.com/pna/product/detail/0,,2076_4155_35186_tab=B,00.html?compNa me=PNA_ProductDetailComponent

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 545
sorry... typo... 45 watts into 8 ohms

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 817
Do you want a stereo integrated amp, a stereo receiver, or a surround receiver with at least 5.1? For a stereo receiver that has a powerful amp section and a USB port for streaming computer or MP3 tunes the Outlaw Audio RR2150 is great. It even has subwoofer control, making it the only stereo with one. It is 100 watts/channel into 8 ohms and 160 watts/channel into 4 ohms(conservatively rated) and can be bought at their site for $599. Plus it has a gourgeous retro look.

If you want to eventually get more speakers you will need an AV surround receiver. Probably the best inexpensive one is the Pioneer 1015.

Houston, TX USA

Post Number: 7
What I am purchasing is for a stereo system only. (The more simplistic the system is the better for me) I hv a seperate computer just for my mp3's and run my old amp thru it. I dont know if the amp that I hv now is suffice or if I should get a new one. I am also not aware of the true difference between a receiver and an amp or what would be the best purchase after the speakers to get the most out of my system immediately. I am willing to add more as time goes by but right now the basics is what I am looking for. Again thanks for all of yr help.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us