Budget stereo receiver

Unicron
Unregistered guest
Hi, I'm looking to purchase a stereo receiver to power my Yamaha ns7390's. I'm looking to spend around $200 and I don't need surround sound or any other extras, as I only have money for the receiver and not additional speakers. It is important to me that the receiver is durable, as my last one's (pioneer vsx-d458) right channel blew and those cheap little plastic speaker clips broke. I'm also not worried about it sounding too "bright", infact I might even prefer that over one that over emphasized the lows. Like I said, I'm on a strict budget, I'd rather not even spend the money, but I just can't listen to my music out of one speaker any more! I wouldn't be opposed to a used receiver either, but I am worried about its durability.
On a side note, how long should a low end receiver last? It seems like my pioneer fell apart rather quickly, and I certainly didn't abuse it.
Thanks!

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 751
Take a look at the Panny XR-55

Unicron
Unregistered guest
Thanks, Stof! You are a genius. This is an a truly amazing receiver, oh my God.

My brother who is the really deep-wallet audiophile in our family came over and was so impressed that he insisted on taking it home to hear with his Vandersteen 3s, and now he's ordering one for himself too! He swears it's better than his Krall(?) amplifier that probably cost more than my car.

I think I will have to upgrade the speakers to really get the most out of them though. Any ideas?

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1390
Uh huh.
Anything that Panasonic makes for $16.75 that matches the POS receiver you mention.

If you could ever imagine, in your wildest hallucinations, that a plastic box could meet the exacting standards of a time proven, experience smoothed piece of Audio art, then perhaps you should check into your Mom's benefit plan,Mom is upstairs, as you really need a full rundown.

Unicron
Unregistered guest
Are all Canadians this rude? No need to throw insults just because you disagree. All I know is I've never seen my audiophile brother happier with an electronics purchase.

Username: Diana_vargas

Post Number: 9
Uni,

I am no audiophile like your brother but I have had excellent results with the Panasonic and my Polk RTi8s. The regular poster here who turned me onto the Panasonic seems very happy with them pairing his Ascend speakers. Good luck!

Username: Diana_vargas

Post Number: 10
whoops, I meant POWERING his Ascend speakers.

Silver Member
Username: Eramsey

South carolina United States

Post Number: 441
Ouch! Nuck easy there fellow. If you could add about $60 more to that $200 Unicron you could have a new HK 3480 stereo receiver. You could buy a used HK either a 3480 or an old school twin powered receiver-excellent for stereo for $200. These will trump the Panasonic for analog stereo. You said you were looking for a two channel amp/receiver so surround sound is irrelevant and the HK route will give you the best results IMO. You should compare the 3480, and the Panasonic before your decision is final. Unfortunately you won't be able to hear the Twin Powered receiver unless you buy one from somewhere like Ebay, which you can't return unless there is shipping damage.

Unicron
Unregistered guest
thank you Eric and Diana, I knew there had to be more to this forum than rude *ssholes like Nuck.

Eric what do you mean "Twin Powered" receiver.
The Panasonic is available at Circuit City and Amazon, and the HK you mention is at J&R all of which have good return policies. I have not heard HK but my brother has a HK435 in his bedroom and he said he much preferred the Panasonic. I will have to go over there and listen soon. You think the 435 would sound pretty much similar to 3480?

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 771
you are welcome. I personally have not even heard this darn thing, but there has been some long heated debate on this board about this receiver for a while now and I just thought I suggest it to you for that price. A lot of people also did not like it. My decision out of reading all of this back and forth about this unit is that it's worth a try, but I think some of Nuck's fervor is coming from those heated discussions. He is alright.

Silver Member

Post Number: 442
The Twin Powered HK's were solid state designs sold during the 1970's. I discussed the purchase of one with a well experienced member of this forum last year who highly regarded them. Towards the end of last year I was finally able to hear one and they sound great. Twin Powered means the design has two power supply transformers, rather unusual for a ss design and non-existant today as I don't know of any ss stereo receiver today that employs such a design. Sorry I'll have to differ with you and your brother about the Panasonic. I haven't heard the XR55 but I did hear the XR70 and if the XR55 sounds anything like the XR70 which I would bet that it does, no thanks. About the only digital receiver that I've heard that was worth a damn was the HK DPR2005. If you think the Panny sounds better than an HK AVR435 you may wish to schedule an appt. with your local audiologist-LOL! Good luck!

Unicron
Unregistered guest
Funny you should say that, my brother IS an audiologist. No kidding! And even funnier is that my brother was skeptical of the Panasonic at first because he had already tried out the HK digital a few months ago. Different strokes for different folks I guess.
Still, these old HKs intrigue me. I like the idea of dual power supplies. Will look on eBay for them.

Unicron
Unregistered guest
Stof, you are right that the Panasonic seems to attract a lot more heat on this forum than most other forums I've visited such as AVS or hometheaterforum.com or audioholics.

Silver Member

Post Number: 443
Well what a coincidence Unicron! The Panasonic to me seems to overemphasize the treble range, not an admirable quality in a ss design. The old HK Twin powered receivers are definately worth a listen and you should give them a try.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us