Krell 400 XI Opinions?

Bronze Member
Username: Bcollins

Rockport, MA United States

Post Number: 64
Hello,
I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the Krell 400 XI integrated amp. Looking at upgrading my NAD set and considering the Krell. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated. Any others in the $2500 price range that are better? Prefer a well ballanced detailed sound, neutral to warm to be paired with Dali Ikon 6 speakers. Thank you,
Bill

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7460

I've not heard the Krell integrated for more than a few minutes with unknown speakers and music. My understanding is it has "classic" Krell sound. If that's the case, which from what I heard that's correct, I would suggest giving consideration to the Unison products which are tube/solid state hybrids or the Sugden integrated which is class A transistor. These two amps do not sound alike, but both have admirable qualities.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 65
Hello Jan,
Could you describe what you mean by classic Krell sound? I am able to trade up for the Krell or possibly the Master series NAD integrated and get full purchase price trade-in value for my current NAD gear(C162/C272). Have not heard either of them yet however. Not much else to choose from at my dealer. My personal experience with NAD reliability has not been good so I hesitate to get the Master series unit even if it sounds good. Dealer also carries Conrad Johnson, but too expensive for me. I would be interested in hearing more about the Krell sound you mentioned as well as any concerns or critisisms you have heard of regarding that amp. Thank you for your help,
Bill

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7474

I have heard nor read anything specific on the Krell integrated. Their earlier integrated received good reviews and they have proven to be a reliable company. Krell is like most very good high end companies; they have a trademark sound that is either to your liking or it is not. I have just never been a fan of what Krell does to the music. There are several lines that serve my interests better than Krell. That might not be the case for you. Listen to the amplifier with your choice of auxiliar components and music and, preferrably, in your own system at home before making a final decision. What I prefer shouldn't confuse you; particularly at this price range. If you have a clear idea what music should sound like to your ears, you should be able to decide whether the Krell will do what you require. If it doesn't, there are many options to pursue. Your original post only asked if anyone else would consider any other line. I would. You might not.

For a description of Krell "sound" just enter "Krell amplifiers" into a site such as Stereophile or any search engine to read what the folks who do this for a living hear from the Krell products. For the most part, just as McIntosh is McIntosh and Conrad Johnson is CJ, Krell is pretty consistent with their presentational style.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 67
Thank you Jan,
I appreciate you help. My idea of what music should sound like through a system is still evolving since I am relatively new to HIFI. At these prices, making the right choice is more critical since I will have to live with it for the forseeable future. Thanks again,
Bill

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7479

Now is the time where a very good dealer can assist you. Of course, my usual question to someone in your position would be to ask if you listen to live music. If so, that is what I consider the most beneficial lesson you can have when determining what is important in reproducing music in your home. When I was selling audio, I would often suggest to clients that they should go to the symphony or a club where the music isn't blasted through stacks of electronics and speakers before making a buying decision. Listen to what you hear in these settings and try to figure out what is important to a good performance and what is essential to bringing that experience into your home. Everyone will pick up on different traits and have different opinions about what constitutes good sound in both live and home situations. But it definitely comes down to more than pairing a warm amplifier with bright speakers. That pairing, in my estimation, is usually the worst combination since the overall personality of what makes a component bright or warm has lots of "baggage" that will not allow one component to assist the other. Look and listen for synergy in the system and do not focus on what one component does by itself.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 68
Thank you Jan. Sounds like good advice. At one point I was actually trying to soften my speakers with an amp on the warmer side without success. I found through experimentation that with a different placement in my room (diagonally as opposed to facing from end-to-end) the brightness disappeared completely and the bass and lower mids just bloomed. It was dramatic. I must have initially chosen the worst possible position in my room which seemed to completely cancel out all of the lower frequencies. I feel now that my speakers are somewhat nuetral and pretty well ballanced and very detailed. I'm not really that unhappy with the sound of my NAD gear, it's more about reliability issues. However, since my speakers seem to be so revealing, my goal now is to find an amp that can complement them since I feel they tend to draw attention to any weak points in the system. My NAD gear sounded better with more forgiving speakers. I think the Dalis need better quality electronics behinnd them to sound their best. The Krell, from what I can gather would be similar with regard to nuetrality an detail, I haven't heard anything about the NAD master series yet, but will have a chance to audition soon. I think tubes might add some emotion the the mix which I imagine would be more to my liking. So, I guess I have more research and listening to do. Thank you as always,
Bill

Bronze Member
Username: T2t

Post Number: 15
I'e heard the Krell 400 driving a pair of Martin Logan Vantage ($5K) speakers. Sounded very, very nice. Then again, the amp + speakers = $7,500, before taxes.

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 953
Bill,
I just saw this thread and don't know if I'm too late here.

"My idea of what music should sound like through a system is still evolving since I am relatively new to HIFI."

Along with what Jan has said, forget about what music should sound like through a system. Concentrate on what it should sound like live. Where I think I differ from Jan in this regard is that if the concert is or isn't amplified is somewhat irrevelant.

Hearing live music reveals what music truly sounds like. It conveys emotion that a lot gear lacks. The biggest thing I tend to look for when considering purchasing gear is if it conveys that emotion. It's a hard thing to describe; most (including me) use the term musicallity. Some gear does everything right - highs, mids, lows, imaging, etc - yet lacks the ability to capture the soul of the music. It doesn't draw you in or captivate you. Then their's gear that isn't as good at any of the above mentioned things, yet keeps you listening for hours on end. You stop listening to a stereo and start listening to music.

You're the only one who can judge where Krell gear sits in this regard. Some love it and some hate it. They are reportedly well made and have few if any reliability issues.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 73
Thank you Stu, you're not too late. I appreciate your feedback. I haven't made a decision yet. I need to solve some acoustical issues in my small (10'X14') room before I make such a significant investment. Can't seem to reproduce any decent bass in this room. Tried all kinds of speaker and listening positions. Bass sounds really light. Not so at the dealer's showroom however. I listened to the Krell and the new NAD M3 with dali Ikon 6 speakers which I use at home as well. Both produced different but very good bass in the showroom. I'm afraid that my room is just too small. If you or anyone knows of a solution, please let me know. Is it possible to reproduce adequate bass in such a small space?
Bill

Bronze Member
Username: Frostyda9

Calgary, AB Canada

Post Number: 86
"If you or anyone knows of a solution, please let me know."

Have you considered acoustic wall/corner treatments? I think it's do-able in 10X14, but you're going to need to tame those reflections and traps. Bass quantity shouldn't be a problem in the room, I would think.

The room is as important as any other part of the chain. If you spend the time to get it right, it will pay dividends every single time you use it.

If you get the Krell, post up your thoughts. I have been intrigued by it for a while now, but haven't had a chance to hear it. Unbiased first hand info is always good...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 80
Thanks for your advise Frosty. I will need to use some form of acoustical treatment to tame the high frequency reflections. Unfortunately for the best bass reproduction, I would have to place the speakers halfway into the room and my listening position against the wall with only a few feet between the speakers and myself. Not very convenient or comfortable. Second best location is more covenient, but bass suffers more. The krell sounded good, but a little lean for my taste. Very neutral, detailed and transparent though. In my room with my speakers it would probably only exacerbate my problem. In a better room and with more forgiving speakers I think it would be fine.
Bill

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7649

How did you determine best and second best speaker placement?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 82
Sorry Jan, I responded to your post in the speaker section.
Bill

Username: Mdunjic

Post Number: 1
go for quad 99pre-amp and 909 power amp, lot cheaper but extremelly musical
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us