Compact quality cdp

waiting for code
Unregistered guest
I've got a vintage integrated amp from a quality mini-system of early 80's that still sings pretty sweetly for its 20 wpc, but I have it hooked up to a portable cdp, sony walkman style. is there a quality cdp in smaller footprint (about half the width of typical) available that might be more musical? any leads appreciated. am I right to assume that the sony portable is at least as good or better than a pc-type drive?
thanks

waiting for code
Unregistered guest
should add a budget, since I just saw a model similar to what I'm looking for, but a bit out of my league. let's keep it to the 500-600 us dollars range, if possible thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Paulfolbrecht

Post Number: 44
Got just the thing for ya: a Tivoli Audio CDP. $200. Very small footprint, looks good, and sounds decent.

Paul

Bronze Member
Username: Mnr3

Post Number: 15
given the mark-up for tivoli and its stylish cases, would the sound quality be superior to a better quality "discman" from the likes of sony, philips, et al?
haven't been able to see any specs for the tivoli--and what should one look for in specs? (realizing that a spec alone is not indicative of sound quality, just a starting point)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 46
I do not believe there are any specs in CDPs that are at all relevant to sound. Design, yes, definitely.

Who says the Sony stuff is better quality?

I do know the tivoli was a big step up from a computer's CDP, direct from its headphone jack. It's 'good enough' for me at the office. :-}

I bought a Woo headphone amp for this setup and the main reason I didn't want a Discman is that they generally don't have line outs - right? If you have one that does, I would not be prepared to argue that the Tivoli would sound better - not at all.

Paul

Bronze Member
Username: Mnr3

Post Number: 20
I wasn't implying that sony was better quality--my phrasing was meant to convey "one of the better models in the portable category", say a $100 model and not a 19.95 job. my old diskman does have a line out, though, and I'm using it now in that capacity, hooked up in amp config above (I am original poster, could not log on for a day or so due to security issues) I would love to compare the tivoli, but my impression that it had lots of hype, that MAY be deserved, but not necessarily. so you're satisfied with it, then? thanks, and sorry for the unclear post

Bronze Member

Post Number: 76
I'm satisfied with it but by no means is it the best-sounding CDP in the world. Of course. Nor have I even auditioned it against others in its price range. My $1100 MiniMax (home) spanks it, but that's to be expected. It is a decent $200 CDP and a decent source for the office.

Bronze Member
Username: Ravbains

MelbourneAustralia

Post Number: 19
Hi all,

I have a Sony Discman D-777, and it has a lineout jack, as well as a headphone jack.

Only downside is the lineout is on the rear panel, so you must use either the internal rechargable batteries or the external wall wart PSU. You cannot use the line out jack with the external pod that allows you to use regular AA batteries (because when this pod is attached it covers the line out jack).

I have connected this machine to my home setup many times and it sounds extremely nice.

I believe the D-777 is widely acknowledged as being a very fine sounding portable.

cheers
Rav

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 768
waiting:

Here is one unit I have heard and thought it sounded very nice, and it is in a half-width footprint:

http://www.needledoctor.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.460/it.A/id.1842/.f

It will certainly sound better than your Walkman.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us