Audio Pop ?

Anonymous

I have an Onkyo 602 recevier and Comcast Cable HD box, Onkyo 702 DVD player.
My problem is that when I change channels on the cable box (hooked up with
digital optical cable to Onkyo) that I hear a faint pop sound in my
speakers. It also makes the sound when I change DSP modes or when the DVD
players is changing surround modes. Do you know of a solution to this or do
have you heard of this? I would like a solution to it if possible because I
really like the receiver and it works great with this being the one
exception. It isn't drum crashing pop just a minor pop but I have a Onkyo
LR552 receiver downstairs with the same type HD cable box and a Sony ES DVD
player and do not have this problem. It is just annoying and I have yet to
find an answer after searching for hours on the internet. Some similar
problems are to be found but no solutions.

Any help is apprciated...

Thanks...

Silver Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 823
When the receiver is performing operations like the ones you've listed above it mutes the output. It does this because all the processing noise would sound terrible amplified.

It sounds like your receiver un-mutes the output just a little too early - say 0.3 seconds, and the sound you hear is the connection to the new input/surround mode.

That would annoy me too, just like it annoys me when my HK mutes the sound for a full three seconds when switching between 2 ch and 5.1 channel Dolby Digital tracks. I bet that problem isn't as evident on your Onkyo, because the solution to my problem is the catalyst to your problem.

You may be able to correct the problem in your cable box by switching brands. If the Comcast breaks the audio signal between every channel, it may be preferable to have one that only does this between channels with different audio tracks. I use a Motorola through optical and it only mutes when switching between analog/DD2.0/DD5.1

Other than that the problem IMO lies in the chipset of the receiver, only way to get rid of it is by switching receivers or possibly finding a 602 without the pops.

jbeau
Unregistered guest
I am happy to see someone else has this problem. I have a Comcast HD box with a Pansonic SCT9000 HTIB as receiver/dvd. My audio pops occur randomly and will actually knock out my audio, sometimes for minutes at a time before coming back on. It is extremly frustrating and no pattern or workaround has been offered. Is the answer to get a new receiver? How can I be assured my next AV receiver won't have the same issue. What can I do proactively to remedy this problem?

Silver Member
Username: Geekboy

Tampa, FL United States

Post Number: 394
Jbeau: I would call Comcast and have the replace the HD box. I had problems with my HD Digital DVR box (from Brighthouse) where my ReplayTV (DVR) boxes wouldn't switch the channels after a while.

A new box worked just fine!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us