Problem - Speakers or amp ?

Mim
Unregistered guest
I'm really hoping for some advice - I'm a novice but have managed to hook up my stereo and dvd etc over the years.. (don't really know how though).. so now after some years, my amp (yamaha ax500) (connected to richter speakers) doesn't seem to work. The lights on the amp unit come on, but no sound at all. Have never had this problem before. (There was a lightning strike a month or so back that took out the video via the external aerial - could be related but I don't recall whether the video was connected to the amp - but it may have been?).. so my query would be - how to tell if the problem is with the amplifier, or with the speakers ?

Many thanks for any tips !

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7442

If you have no other amplifier to use with the speakers, you can check for basic operation of the speakers with a 1.5VDC battery. Attach the ends of each speaker cable to the terminals of the battery while looking for movement from the woofer in each speaker. If the woofer remains fixed when the battery is connected, you have a problem with the speakers. If the woofer moves in either direction when attached to the battery, the speakers will at least produce bass and some midrange. Additionally, most repair shops will run a diagnostic test on a receiver and in most cases charge little to nothing if no problems are found. Finally, if you want to check the operation of the entire speaker system, you can purchase a Sonic Impact T amp for a few dollars; http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-952. It has very low wattage but can be used as a spare amp while your receiver is in the shop should that need arise and is useful as a test device that can be paired with some efficient speakers to produce exceptional sound in a second system; http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/t-amp_e.html

Mim
Unregistered guest
Jan, Many Many Thanks indeed for your excellent advice ! I had no idea where to start but you've given me a range great of options to follow up.

Your advice is very much appreciated !
Very best wishes,
Mim

erererere
Unregistered guest
Let me guess is the amp. Very low probability of damage in 2 speakers

Eduardo
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us