4 ohm 12's with 8 ohm highs

Username: Dajuiceman

Post Number: 1
I got these 2 solid oak pioneer boxes from a friend with good crossovers still. I'm hooking them into one of my extra home theatre systems. It's hard to find 8 ohm speakers so I bought 2 4 ohm 12's for these boxes. I don't want to run a series to get 8 ohms cause i'd have 2 12's on 1 channel. Can you do something like add a resister to the positive line or something to get an 8 ohm resistance. I will give you an example of what I got. Here it is for 1 speaker box. 12 inch at 4 ohms, midrange at 8 ohms, tweeter at 8 ohms. I need to somehow get the resistance on the 12 to be 8 somehow unless it isnt a big deal. I hooked them up for a few minutes but quit and disconnected them because I didnt want to risk blowing my amp.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7435

Where'd you buy these drivers that you found it difficult to find 8 Ohm units? How did you decide the 4 Ohm driver was correct for your application?

Username: Dajuiceman

Post Number: 2
Everything I could find around town was only 4 ohm drivers. Don't know why and even on the net anything that I want is all 4 ohm. There are 8 ohm drivers online but they look cheap and they are too cheap. I want something nice. I know 4 ohm isnt correct being my home reciever runs 8 ohms. I didnt have a problem finding 8 ohm mids and highs. I went ahead buying the 4 ohm 12's and thought I could figure something out to make them work. If they don't I guess I can run 4 12's in my car.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7438

You'll have to determine what type of crossover you already have in the enclosures and whether they will work with the drivers you purchased. A crossover point too high or too low will cause excessive distortion and could damage the driver. If you connect the Xo in parallel, you will have constant impedance through the crossover region. You can connect a resistor in line to raise the impedance of the woofer; but that will cut the efficiency of the driver against the mid and tweeter. It sounds like you need a bit more help than an online forum can provide. Do you even know if the woofers are appropriate for the enclosure size and type you already own? Head back to the shop where you bought the drivers and ask them for assistance.

Username: Harrypalmer

Bellevue, WA

Post Number: 4
" crossover point too high or too low will cause excessive distortion and could damage the driver"
What a lie. You would notice that it sounds really really bad.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us